Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Passat BKP 2006.. Cranks a treat but no start.

1. Passat BKP 2006.. Cranks a treat but no start. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Greetings experts yet again!

Much done, turbo, EGR cooler and EGR itself, inlet flap valve, injectors ( piezo PPD) electrically checked , seem OK ( no short to earth on any and all about 2000 ohms across the terminals. Injector wiring harness, no shorts, continuity and all wires less than 0.5 ohms.

Cleared old diagnostic faults and rechecked ( albeit not the best kit in the world!) but no new faults appeared.
    However -- while it cranks well there's no attempt to start at all.

I suspect fuel but before I go through that system as per the VW manual can someone please tell me --- IF I DISCONNECT THE SUPPLY LINE FROM THE PUMP IN THE TANK TO THE FUEL FILTER, AT THE FILTER, AND TURN ON THE IGNITION IS THERE SUPPOSED TO BE A STEADY STREAM OF FUEL??
    -----
    I get now is just a small spurt and then nothing, repeated of I turn the ignition of and on again.

----- Also, any other guidance as to possible causes of the crank but no start would be welcome.

Many thanks and regards
    Ted

I am finding this particular Passat B6, while a BKP engine in all labeling has some features that are not BKP as per the VW engine manual, but BMN,BMR or BUZ. -- looking very much like a half and half modification 'changeover' car.
    -----

0 0 0

2. Re: Passat BKP 2006.. Cranks a treat but no start. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Steady stream yes, spurts definitely not. The in tank pump should be receiving power and signal when the ignition is turned on and, with the pipework fully connected, the pump motor should be audible with the back seat cushion removed (should lift straight up a short way then forward to release it from the rear retainers). The pump will run for a few seconds to rebuild pressure. You should see the pump set into the floor on the OSR. Connections can be tested with a multimeter if you have one, I don't so lend electrical jobs to a friend. Also check fuses and fuel pump relay.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 1 0

3. Re: Passat BKP 2006.. Cranks a treat but no start. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Hi Mitch
    Thanks for that -- and other for more detailed advice elsewhere.
    Will test the power to the pump tomorrow, terminals 1 and 4 I believe on the input harness. And perhaps the pump it'self.
    ((I do have a decent multi-meter. You gotta a Moto Guzzi, Italian ! it's the first piece of kit you buy!! ))
    Fuses are OK. Tell me where is the Pump relay ? --- (one of the reasons I was searching for a full wiring diagram.)

Kind regards
    Ted

0 0 0

4. Re: Passat BKP 2006.. Cranks a treat but no start. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)
    The fuel pump relay on your vehicle is earthed via the ecu pin no a49 this relay must have at key on 3 12v;s feeds and is activated by the earth which completes the circuit all relays that are ecu earth must have at key on 3 x 12v feeds.

0 0 0

5. Re: Passat BKP 2006.. Cranks a treat but no start. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TedVW View Post
    Hi Mitch
    Thanks for that -- and other for more detailed advice elsewhere.
    Will test the power to the pump tomorrow, terminals 1 and 4 I believe on the input harness. And perhaps the pump it'self.
    ((I do have a decent multi-meter. You gotta a Moto Guzzi, Italian ! it's the first piece of kit you buy!! ))
    Fuses are OK. Tell me where is the Pump relay ? --- (one of the reasons I was searching for a full wiring diagram.)

Kind regards
    Ted
    Hi Ted,

Should be R15 on the under dash fuse board LHS for UK but maybe on RHS for Europe.

Fuse box Volkswagen Passat B6

Mitch.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

6. Re: Passat BKP 2006.. Cranks a treat but no start. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thank you for that Mickeybo.
    I understand the first bit but I don't quite understand " at key on 3 x 12 volt feeds" -- Could you explain a bit more, while I try to work it out.
    Very many thanks and regards
    Ted

0 0 0

7. Re: Passat BKP 2006.. Cranks a treat but no start. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks Mitch,
    Will look in the morning, and in the Haynes Book of Half Truths!
    Ted

0 0 0

8. Re: Passat BKP 2006.. Cranks a treat but no start. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Mitch,
    I forgot, Thanks also for the link to show the fuse box etc.
    Cheers,
    Ted

1 1 0