From - Walney Island, Cumbria, Live in: Larkhill, Wiltshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I have one for my passat on UKP so figured I will do one for my S4 here also.

Car: 1999 S4 Avant in Ming Blue, 124k on the clock, good service history etc. Completely standard except 18” RS4 Alloys (Also have the Original S4 ones)

Know Faults:
    1) Bodywork is tatty in places and needs tidying up/redoing particularly front and rear bumpers and tailgate. Shell/bonnet/doors is pretty much immaculate. Alloys also need a refurb due to curbing.

2) Rear suspension arms and both sub frames need a bit of love. Getting quite flaky in places

3) Front callipers (Lucas 4 pad system) are both missing the anti rattle springs, this is doing my head in and new ones seem tricky to source. I have found some £45ea from VW however.

4) Boot Load cover spring has gone so it’s all floppy and loose. Going to have a looksee..

5) Headlight washers don’t currently work, some people delete them, I want them working. Have traced this to the pump. Has voltage but isn’t spinning.

6) Suspect original Diverter valves are leaking, boost seems to disappear far to quickly when changing gear. I know that’s the idea but if you just lift off slightly it drops the boost until you hoon it again. They are the original plastic ones...

7) DID LCD in cluster is dead, I know these can be repaired so will removed cluster at some point and send it off.

8) Driver’s seat is rocking. Found guides cheap enough on eBay so will get that sorted.

9) Driver’s seat also has a split on the bolster where it’s worn through, needs repairing or replacing. Any suggestions?

Done so far:

A lot of history and receipts of stuff done over the last 8 years. Very good history and last owner of 8 years was an enthusiast.

Fixed detached rear washer pipe by glovebox

Fixed central locking in passenger door, deadlock bar had come off the cam in the rear of the key barrel.

I’ll keep updating this thread as I go. Any help or advice always appreciated, whilst no where near a novice, I’m new to owning petrol cars so will take some re-learning in places.

I’m going to colour code the car with Orange (FF6600), Callipers, all hoses, fog light surrounds, interior alu trim( wrapped so I dot ruin it) etc etc. I think orange will go nice with the navy blue colour of the car. Will start by getting callipers powder coated and rebuilding them with new seals etc.

Watch this space....Aidan

54 Passat Wagon PD175
    99’ Audi S4 Avant 2.7 QTO

0 0 0

2. Re: My B5 S4 Journey... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Worth replacing headlights with single unit with integrated indicator. Standard halogen 55w bulbs were shocking, regardless of upgraded bulbs. Did B5 S4 come with xenon headlights as option?

If you're getting bumpers and alloys resprayed, then look at rear window spoiler and get it painted at the same time. Doesn't look much but I think it makes a difference.
    2016 BMW i3 REx (25k)
    2012 A4 Allroad Quattro 2.0 TDI (55k)
    2003 A2 1.4 TDI SE (166k) sold
    2001 B5 A4 2.5 TDI Avant Quattro Sport, (173k), sold
    1995 B4 80 1.9 TDI Avant SE, (175k), sold

0 1 0

3. Re: My B5 S4 Journey... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacus 68 View Post
    Worth replacing headlights with single unit with integrated indicator. Standard halogen 55w bulbs were shocking, regardless of upgraded bulbs. Did B5 S4 come with xenon headlights as option?

If you're getting bumpers and alloys resprayed, then look at rear window spoiler and get it painted at the same time. Doesn't look much but I think it makes a difference.
    I’ll bare that in mind, I may get tailgate done as well but was debating getting it all smoothed out properly and wrapped instead.

My Headlights are OEM Xenon so would rather not lose them, unless I can find some Xenon all in ones? Not sure if they exist... They are very bright, will get my drill and autoglym kit on them, then they’ll be good as new in no time.

54 Passat Wagon PD175

0 0 0

4. Re: My B5 S4 Journey... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMental View Post
    I’ll bare that in mind, I may get tailgate done as well but was debating getting it all smoothed out properly and wrapped instead.

My Headlights are OEM Xenon so would rather not lose them, unless I can find some Xenon all in ones? Not sure if they exist... They are very bright, will get my drill and autoglym kit on them, then they’ll be good as new in no time.

54 Passat Wagon PD175
    Stick with them! Headlight lenses probably just need refreshed. Roof rails I'd go brushed aluminium, but hey that's just me!
    2016 BMW i3 REx (25k)

0 0 0

5. Re: My B5 S4 Journey... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Stick with them! Headlight lenses probably just need refreshed. Roof rails I'd go brushed aluminium, but hey that's just me!
    I actually thought about buying some new headlights and separating the lenses off them and swapping them.

54 Passat Wagon PD175

0 0 0

6. Re: My B5 S4 Journey... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Well, got the front bumper on properly. Was sagging by 1/2” at each wing. Jesus Christ those clips are hard to get in! Managed in the end though so front end looks straight now happy days!

Is this car a subframe off or engine out job to reach the turbos? Tried to find them but didn’t have much look lol.

54 Passat Wagon PD175

0 0 0

7. Re: My B5 S4 Journey... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Well, another job tackled and another one added to the list.

My new headlight washer pump came today. Easy to see why the old one was dead.... New one was £13 off eBay and took 2 days to come.

So on with it, headlight out, also had to remove three bolts from the lock carrier so I could pull it forward. Just gave me enough room to squeeze pump out. Difficult with big hands haha.

I then found that old pump had a flat male connector and new pump had a notch on it. So trusty Gerber soon sorted that out

After:

All fitted in nice

And then onto the new job on the list....

Found once they were working that the outside nozzle on passenger side has also split, I imagine due to frost, so I’ve ordered one, again from eBay, (a German one) which set me back £18 inc postage

That’s it for now. Also can’t get the load cover out. The release button has broken inside.. when I get a new one I’ll cut it out I think. Haha.

I have also found some brake rattle springs for the front callipers! VW told me there were 4 left in their database at a grand old price of £45+vat each!! (I need two)...ECS tuning is about the same with import costs so I did some research.... turns out RockAuto have them. I have ordered a set which were £9.50 for BOTH springs and £25 priority shipping as I’m not waiting four weeks... still cheaper than one spring from here.

Result!

54 Passat Wagon PD175

0 0 0

8. Re: My B5 S4 Journey... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Good job. One we get into cold temperature territory keep the screen wash additive topped up with additive to avoid a repeat. Haven't had a bad winter as such for about 5 years or so.
    2016 BMW i3 REx (25k)

1 1 0

9. Re: My B5 S4 Journey... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Good job. One we get into cold temperature territory keep the screen wash additive topped up with additive to avoid a repeat. Haven't had a bad winter as such for about 5 years or so.
    Cheers. Yeah I will be doing. Was hoping new washer unit would turn up yesterday but no dice. Will be tomorrow now....

My anti rattle springs didn’t fit... evidently it seems my Caliper doesn’t take them. I’m going to put the spare set of discs and pads on today and see if that helps as the spare set are Brembo and have soft backs on all the pads etc where the fitted ones don’t.

My Older HP2 Caliper

Newer HP2 Caliper meant for the springs

I’ve got a shot at a B6 S4 front upgrade if I can find some funds... 345mm Discs, calipers, pads etc and I’ll be looking to do the 300x22mm rear upgrade before Xmas as well if all goes to plan.

Cheers
    Aidan

54 Passat Wagon PD175

0 0 0

10. My B5 S4 Journey... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Done some more tinkering over the last couple of days,

My shiny new washer unit turned up,

So I changed that yesterday, what a PITA that was, lost my temper a bit trying to get tee piece out of hoses...

Other than that it wasn’t difficult to change really, I will say a flexible 1/4 drive extension is a must, bumper bolt also needs removing so you can slide it forward 5mm for wiggle room to get the unit out.

Fortunately, being an Avid fish tank reefer guy I happened to have SS jubilees and a few 3/8” tee pieces lying around so managed to get it sorted there and then. System is now all working with no leaks just as it should be. Happy days.

Today, I did some more investigating as I’m sure I have a boost leak, tightened up all the from boost hose connections I could reach, some were quite loose actually, haven’t found a way to reach the two short outlet hoses off the turbos as it started raining. Think I still have. Small leak, watch this space..

I also investigated a smoking LHS exhaust manifold and found a small leak from LHS rocker cover and maybe one of the caps...

Along with this I suspect I have a leaky sump gasket so I’m intending to get a full kit for valve covers, camshaft caps/seals, chain tensioner seals etc to try and rectify this when I do it’s 5k mike oil service at the end of the month. Sump looks straightforward to drop with minimal messing about so may as well. I’m not sure if the sump leak is oil running down the block from the covers.... Good news is, oil still looks new, nice and gold, either way, I’ve vowed to change it every 5k miles/12mnth and that’s what I will be doing regardless.

My two babies all dirty from the sandy storm weather yesterday....

I do love how easy the S4 is to take apart. No rust anywhere, everything Anti-seized with silver anti-sieze. It’s a beautiful thing to work on a car this old that’s obviously been treat right. Wholly different experience to my Passat.

Aidan

54 Passat Wagon PD175

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast