Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekeemonkey View Post
    stop-Start will not work if the draw on the battery or engine is high I.e. just after starting or if for example the air con is on a high setting
    I did get round to doing a bit of RTFM, and there are quite a list of things that will prevent the auto-stop, I think within the first couple of miles, on hot days the most likely cause *has* been the aircon still working hard to get the car down to the set temperature. also if wheels aren't straight'ish, or if the gearbox is in 'S' (The latter is good to know in cases where you don't want it to auto-stop e.g. emerging from a tricky junction).

There are still mystery occasions where I pull to a halt, it stops, then within a second it starts again while you sit there touching nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by cheekeemonkey View Post
    Electric handbrake can seem intermittent too in my experience. Sometimes when parking it will apply and others not. Not sure why but I’ve got in the habit of pulling the lever up myself now.
    I think the handbrake has been solved too, mainly down to the keyless-go putting me off my stride, and undoing seatbelt before turning off ignition, while wondering what I did with the keys given there's no ignition slot to hold them, and my pockets are generally full
    2017 A5 sportback, 2.0TFSI, quattro, S tronic, S line, virtual cockpit, mythos black.

0 1 0

2. Re: New A5 2017 Owners 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A6ian View Post
    I've decided to move from diesel to petrol. I currently have an A6 C7 BE 272. Just placed an order for a white S5 Sportback. There's one already on the way to my dealer from Germany. It's got some extras added: Flat bottomed steering wheel, Privacy glass, Red leather, Virtual cockpit, Extended lighting pack and Folding mirrors. I would have chosen these had I ordered from fresh. I'd probably have added Storage pack, and phone box but these are not a deal breaker, sure I'll live without these. Is there another way to connect 2 phones?

Looking forward to going back to petrol, and to something slightly different having had 2 A6 C7's. I will admit, I still prefer the look of the A6 saloon BE to what I'm getting but that's probably cos I'm an old guy.
    Let us know how you get on. I’m looking for a similar change. Still a bit undecided. S5 or c43 or something completely different.
    I’m on my third c7 and I love the comfort and space but want to get back in a petrol and something a big quicker/nimbler rather than another A6 barge. New c8 does not tickle my fancy.

0 0 0

3. Re: New A5 2017 Owners 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A6S View Post
    Let us know how you get on. I’m looking for a similar change. Still a bit undecided. S5 or c43 or something completely different.
    I’m on my third c7 and I love the comfort and space but want to get back in a petrol and something a big quicker/nimbler rather than another A6 barge. New c8 does not tickle my fancy.
    Will do. Was meant to pick it up tomorrow but it's still at Grimsby docks apparently. Dealer tells me it could be another 7 working days.

The C43 looks ok, but the S5 does it for me. I always tend to think the newer Mercs are a bit too "in yer face", the Audi's more reserved, I think. Looks wise, I don't like the C43 back end but the front is better than the S5.

To be honest when I bought my first A6 2.0tdi BE I'd actually gone to buy the A5 tdi 180hp but didn't like it so changed my plan. When I test drove the new S5, it's a very different animal. If you haven't already, you need to have a drive of one. I can't find a bad review on youtube.

This may turn controversial but, I much prefer the S Tronic gearbox though, guess I'll get used to the tiptronic.

0 0 0

4. Re: New A5 2017 Owners 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    I’ve had a quick shot of an s4 so assuming it will be the same as the s5. I did feel the tip tronic not as snappy/quick as the stronic but suppose for most days the tip tronic will be smooth and quick enough.
    I was kinda the opposite on the looks. Really liked the look of the c class coupe and found the s5 a bit looking like every Audi out there. However the interior is much nicer in the Audi than the merc and you need to opt for the command package to get the newer looking tech which was an expensive option.
    In a s5 I will be looking for virtual cockpit as a bare minimal and maybe with the sound and comfort pack.
    Trying to see if I can find a dealer with one with the adjustable suspension and one without so I can see if it’s worth the £900 option. To be fair it’s a relatively cheap option for an Audi option.

0 0 0

5. Re: New A5 2017 Owners 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Just been reading on a German forum that the petrol engined S5 will be no more, and that it's to be replaced by a diesel. I think this is just a rumour, but if it's true, it's absurd.

Hope it's not true but if it is I'm glade I've got in now, it's also said that no further orders can be placed after end of May.

I'm also told from another source that it's the same from some other premium car brands, there is no (or limited) availability of new larger petrol engined cars between now and October. think it's due to difficulties with the new emissions that come in to force during sept 18.

This is all hearsay, I personally don't know how much actual truth there's in it.

0 0 0

6. Re: New A5 2017 Owners 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Well I eventually got it, yesterday. Initially I was thinking "have I done the right thing", but now, after doing a 200 mile round trip today, I'm sure I have. It's an impressive engine, not sure I need so much power on UK roads though, but even at speed limits it sounds proper fast. There are a few small (very small) refinements that the A6 had that this hasn't but thats made up for by the extra things that it's got that the a6 hasn't. The MMI is much improved by the way it operates etc. The Virtual cockpit and (never thought I'd say this) the extended interior light package are a must in my opinion.
    Although on paper the figures between the 272 TDI and this are not a million miles away from each other, there is a huge difference in how it does it, it seems much quicker than 0.8 second to 60. The tiptronic is ok, don't know if it's because I want it to be, but I think it's better than the demo car I drove, perhaps it's had a software update since. Ive run it today in efficiency mode and there is definitely more 'up and go' than the A6 272 in Dynamic S mode, and that was no slouch.

Even the wife likes it, but she rightly says that it's a harsher ride than the A6 BE, and she has a small niggle over the non-adjustable head rests, think I've got away lightly.

Although on the outside it looks quite a bit smaller and is more nimble when driving, the interior space is not really noticeably different in size, not had anyone in the back yet though, as you's expect, there's slightly less leg room.

The red leather seats are less red than the pictures show, it's got and orangey tinge to it, it's a marmite thing but I like it.

All in all the looks are growing on me, but I still like the looks of the A6 C7 BE, but the S5 has been a good choice for something similar but very different, I think (if that makes sense).

0 1 0

7. Re: New A5 2017 Owners 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Forgot to say, the Audi sound system is not that bad, it doesn't have the same depth as the Bose but doesn't have the sub woofer vibrations at high bass levels, which makes it slightly better with a little effort to set it up, in my opinion. can't comment on the B&O but I can live with this.

0 0 0

8. Re: New A5 2017 Owners 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Good wee write up Ian.
    I’m still trying to decide. I do like the comfort of the A6 and the 272 engine with the dsg is a bit of a gem. Economical when cruising and pretty quick when need be.
    The other thing is the non retracting screen. Not sure if I would notice but like all modern cars it just seem like an afterthought but every car out there is the same so unavoidable.
    Decision decisions....

0 0 0

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234