1. EGR fault?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    The BRE 2.0tdi engine started making a whistle near the crank case vent on cam cover/ EGR cooler area. Soon after it hiccupped a few times then lost power, smokes awful and will rev very little at all,
    I had checked the cam cover valve for whistles or diaphragm split and it is good.
    The whistle I felt could be in the EGR cooler area where the vacuum pipe/valve is.
    If I start the car it smokes bad with unburned fuel and runs super rough and lumpy, no power, can hardly move the car...its not limp mode.
    Scan shows no codes of note, aircon one...explaining the duff aircon and a generic code suggesting clinder 3 glow plug fault.
    Any ideas? can the EGR or cooler cause this kind of issue??

0 0 0

2. Re: EGR fault?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Are you getting a G28 crank speed sensor code?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: EGR fault?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Are you getting a G28 crank speed sensor code?
    Hi Crasher, you have helped me in the past with other audi's.....in particular a TT I had for some time. My scanner is not Vag Com, but is a reasonable one with VAG specific function as well as others.
    I have no codes other than P161C and P1641 on the engine side. The scanner has previously been ok with throttle body, MAF failures etc.
    Any idea what the whistling was? (not turbo) it varied with throttle opening but could whilstle at idle speed even. I was assuming it was an early warning of the big problem now.
    Cheers

0 0 0

4. Re: EGR fault?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I think it would be a good idea to get it scanned with VCDS as your scanner may be missing a none emissions code such as for the G28.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: EGR fault?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    hi, well currently the car is US....which is a shame, its good in all respects otherwise. I have been unable to get a VCDS scan....it is not drivable without smogging out the planet so has only been run to my local garage who have decent scan stuff but not vcds.
    Between them and me only 2 faults come up...aircon we know is duff and glow plug 3 is duff which I assume will only cause poor starting and poor initial running on an old car like this?.
    A live data scan revealed injectors 2 and 3 running a + values and 1 and 4 at - values if that means anything.
    It starts on the button, chuffs badly and smokes unburned diesel smog.
    If I had done a cambelt I would say it is a tooth out or for a petrol its like it is way off time or misfiring on one or more cyclinders.
    I feel sure it is something silly.....when it occurred it hiccupped driving along then picked up followed by permanant fail and was limped home.
    Any ideas welcome....I want to carry on doing my bit for the planet and using this car!! not a newer one.
    If anybody near me offers a VCDS service let me know.....our A3 also is playing up so I will post that in the other forum.

0 0 0

6. Re: EGR fault?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petrolhead63 View Post
    hi, well currently the car is US....which is a shame, its good in all respects otherwise. I have been unable to get a VCDS scan....it is not drivable without smogging out the planet so has only been run to my local garage who have decent scan stuff but not vcds.
    Between them and me only 2 faults come up...aircon we know is duff and glow plug 3 is duff which I assume will only cause poor starting and poor initial running on an old car like this?.
    A live data scan revealed injectors 2 and 3 running a + values and 1 and 4 at - values if that means anything.
    It starts on the button, chuffs badly and smokes unburned diesel smog.
    If I had done a cambelt I would say it is a tooth out or for a petrol its like it is way off time or misfiring on one or more cyclinders.
    I feel sure it is something silly.....when it occurred it hiccupped driving along then picked up followed by permanant fail and was limped home.
    Any ideas welcome....I want to carry on doing my bit for the planet and using this car!! not a newer one.
    If anybody near me offers a VCDS service let me know.....our A3 also is playing up so I will post that in the other forum.

Hi,

Have you checked for boost leaks - a split in a pipe or even a split intercooler? The other thought is a broken EGR valve - mine had this and there were no codes, just plumes of black smoke from the exhausts and no power. The flap had become detached from the spindle inside the EGR, so although the spindle was moving as the car expected it to, the flap wasn't.

Good luck!

MF.
    Gone: 2016 A6 Saloon BE Ultra S tronic - Floret Silver, Tech Pack Advanced, Parking Pack Advanced, Heated F+R Seats & Wheel, Electric Seats, Matrix LED, Ambient Lighting, Speed Limit Display, Twin Spoke 20", Folding Memory Mirrors
    Now: E 53 AMG 4MATIC
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige

0 0 0

7. Re: EGR fault?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    hi, the EGR is a maybe.....I dont think it has any splits in pipes/intercooler and if it was that I would expect a normal idel until it got some boost? it chuffs like a tractor! thanks...I better pull the EGR, I did check the throttle flap as I had similar when one of those jammed shut.

0 0 0

8. Re: EGR fault?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petrolhead63 View Post
    hi, the EGR is a maybe.....I dont think it has any splits in pipes/intercooler and if it was that I would expect a normal idel until it got some boost? it chuffs like a tractor! thanks...I better pull the EGR, I did check the throttle flap as I had similar when one of those jammed shut.

Hmmmm. My car idled ok but started smoking as soon as any throttle was applied. They tried to drive it up onto a tow truck but it struggled to climb the ramps and the smoke screen it generated obliterated the 8-story office block behind They ended up winching it on. It may be the position the flap was stuck in though. I'd agree with Crasher that you should try to get the car scanned by someone with VCDS if possible (although I know that may be impossible with the current Covid restrictions in the UK).

Good luck!

MF.
    Gone: 2016 A6 Saloon BE Ultra S tronic - Floret Silver, Tech Pack Advanced, Parking Pack Advanced, Heated F+R Seats & Wheel, Electric Seats, Matrix LED, Ambient Lighting, Speed Limit Display, Twin Spoke 20", Folding Memory Mirrors
    Now: E 53 AMG 4MATIC
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige

0 0 0

9. Re: EGR fault?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MFGF View Post
    Hmmmm. My car idled ok but started smoking as soon as any throttle was applied. They tried to drive it up onto a tow truck but it struggled to climb the ramps and the smoke screen it generated obliterated the 8-story office block behind They ended up winching it on. It may be the position the flap was stuck in though. I'd agree with Crasher that you should try to get the car scanned by someone with VCDS if possible (although I know that may be impossible with the current Covid restrictions in the UK).

Good luck!

MF.
    this is pretty impressive and barely moves also...........I will look at the EGR, I am not sure there is a delete for this model, I hate the things!! fuel consumption on my TD5 discovery improved by near 5% when it was removed.

0 1 0

10. Re: EGR fault?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    It's worth checking the timing on something like this

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast