1. 5th GEAR WHINE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey Guys. I'm one of the poor tw*ts that's got a 2006 passat 2.0tdi sport. I've had all the usual stuff go on me ( 2 injectors, motorised flap etc ) Also had clutch and DMF and gear linkages replaced. Latest drama with this thing is when I put the car into 5th gear there's a strange sort of "squeak" as it goes into gear. Car drives fine but as soon as I take foot off the throttle (ie. free-wheeling in gear) there's a real whine comes out of engine bay. As soon as i touch throttle or change gear, whine disappears!! Very strange! Seems to be when car is de-cellerating from 60ish to 50ish mph that the noise is loudest but that could just be coincidence. Has anyone else in VW land had similar experience? I would welcome any suggestions. Thanking you in advance.

0 0 0

2. Re: 5th GEAR WHINE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    If you are sure it is only 5th gear I would get the gearbox oil level checked first.

0 0 0

3. Re: 5th GEAR WHINE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Definitely only 5th gear Martin. Would low oil not affect all gears? Is gearbox oil level easy enough to check? Thanks for your input.

0 0 0

4. Re: 5th GEAR WHINE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey Guys. Does anyone out there know how to check gearbox oil level? Don't know if it's something that needs to go into garage to get done?! Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

0 0 0

5. Re: 5th GEAR WHINE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    As long as it's a 2.0 PD you can check the gearbox oil by undoing the filler. Big splined bolt on gearbox. If you send me an email address I will try to find you some details. You can't do this on a 1.9 PD.

1 0 0

6. Re: 5th GEAR WHINE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ALAN820269 View Post
    Hey Guys. I'm one of the poor tw*ts that's got a 2006 passat 2.0tdi sport. I've had all the usual stuff go on me ( 2 injectors, motorised flap etc ) Also had clutch and DMF and gear linkages replaced. Latest drama with this thing is when I put the car into 5th gear there's a strange sort of "squeak" as it goes into gear. Car drives fine but as soon as I take foot off the throttle (ie. free-wheeling in gear) there's a real whine comes out of engine bay. As soon as i touch throttle or change gear, whine disappears!! Very strange! Seems to be when car is de-cellerating from 60ish to 50ish mph that the noise is loudest but that could just be coincidence. Has anyone else in VW land had similar experience? I would welcome any suggestions. Thanking you in advance.
    Just bought an 06 ex company car (167k miles) and it does exactly the same. Letting the clutch out in 5th it makes a strange squeaking sound and whines on overrun . What was the answer with yours? Was it low gearbox oil?

Any help greatly appreciated. Alex.
    Last edited by Axlebanger; 07-03-2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Spelling

0 0 0

7. Re: 5th GEAR WHINE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I must say I haven't done much more about this problem. The best that I can offer for now is that I was talking to a VW mechanic who said it was extremely unlikely to be oil level. More likely to be a gearbox bearing, he reckoned. Whining is getting worse but still only in 5th gear. I really need to get car booked into VW for diagnosis. I'll report back when I get it done. Sorry I couldn't give you more info just now.

0 0 0

8. Re: 5th GEAR WHINE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Sorry to tag onto this, but I have noticed that my gearchange into second is really 'baulky' when the car is cold - it clears up once the car gets up to temperature, so I am wondering if it could be gearbox fluid level or the oil needing changed?

Lang may yer lum reek!

Current: '09 Audi A4 Avant SE TDI (143)
    Previous: '56 VW Passat 2.0TDI SE - I survived 'BKP' ownership!

0 0 0

9. Re: 5th GEAR WHINE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fat controller

Whilst searching for the 5th gear whine I read several other threads on here. Some show some seriously 'dirty' gearbox oil and also note improvements in gear shift with a manual gearbox oil change. Have a search around..

Alan.. my Haynes manual is on its way in the post. Once it arrives I plan on checking the gearbox oil level and will report back. May even consider a gearbox oil change based on the mileage it has done. Even though VW state 'lifetime'. Other interesting reads state 'lifetime' is the order of 100k as most cars never really get beyond that.

Hope you don't feel I have hijacked your thread but the symptoms are identical so didnt want to create a mirror thread.

Cheers Alex.

1 0 0

10. Re: 5th GEAR WHINE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner Alex. Had a few days ski - ing abroad so VW was furthest thing from my mind!! On another post on this forum I commented that I had similiar problem with 1st, 2nd and reverse sometimes being sticky when engine was cold. And that was after a new clutch was fitted. The solution to my sticky gears was to get a new clutch release bearing fitted. Since then, gear change has been perfect. That's only my experience though. Hopefully for your wallet's sake, a gearbox oil change will do the trick!! I look forward to hearing your findings when your new manual arrives.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast