Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Child lock door jammed Passat '97 P reg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Child lock door jammed Passat '97 P reg 
    cabot Guest
    The rear offside door, I put on the child lock on and now it wont open at all - not from the outside.

I have looked at the Hayne manual but it doesnt look as if you can get at that part of the mechanism if you remove the panel etc., I would have thought that if I just locked and then unlocked the central locking system this would release it but it doesnt.

I am sure someone else must have had the problem at some time, can you tell me how to fix it please.

I feel it is potentially quite dangerous to have anyone else in the car, in case of accident, at present. If the car were to land on its nearside and driver was stuck, no one would be able to get out - rear door opens from outside.

So as you can see it would be great if someone could advise me as to what to do.

Cheers and many thanks for taking the time to read this.

0 0 0

2. Re: Child lock door jammed Passat '97 P reg 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is it one of these

B5.jpeg

A B5 or one of these?

B4.jpeg

A B4.

They have completely different locking systems.
    Nothing to see here, move along..

0 0 0

3. Re: Child lock door jammed Passat '97 P reg 
    cabot Guest
    It looks like the B5. sloping front!

0 0 0

4. Re: Child lock door jammed Passat '97 P reg 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I presume you've tried the inside door handle, the switch by the 'leccy windows, and the remote?

0 0 0

5. Re: Child lock door jammed Passat '97 P reg 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

0 0 0

6. Smile Re: Child lock door jammed Passat '97 P reg 
    cabot Guest

Hi Hex, thank you very much for these ideas, I will give them a go.

Unfortunately I was hospitalised on 21 July and op'd on so I am still in recovery mode at the moment. When I get torso movement back fully I shall tackle the car door.

At that time I shall come back and let you all know how I have got on and my results.

I must say though that on reading other peoples problems on this site I should have come here before I jammed the door because I think I may have just been a tad impatient with it. You see the door handle wasnt working properly (and I now think it probably needed a new cable in it) I got fed up with it so decided to child lock it and that was the beginning of my probs.

Anyway as I said I shall get back to you, probably in about 2 weeks, when I am more torso mobile and let you know how I have got on.

Cheers many thanks to all of you.

0 0 0

7. Re: Child lock door jammed Passat '97 P reg 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cabot View Post
    Hi Hex, thank you very much for these ideas, I will give them a go.

Unfortunately I was hospitalised on 21 July and op'd on so I am still in recovery mode at the moment. When I get torso movement back fully I shall tackle the car door.

At that time I shall come back and let you all know how I have got on and my results.

I must say though that on reading other peoples problems on this site I should have come here before I jammed the door because I think I may have just been a tad impatient with it. You see the door handle wasnt working properly (and I now think it probably needed a new cable in it) I got fed up with it so decided to child lock it and that was the beginning of my probs.

Anyway as I said I shall get back to you, probably in about 2 weeks, when I am more torso mobile and let you know how I have got on.

Cheers many thanks to all of you.
    Let's hope your recovery goes quickly.

0 0 0

8. Re: Child lock door jammed Passat '97 P reg 
    cabot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hex69 View Post
    Let's hope your recovery goes quickly.
    !
    Hi Hex and everyone,

Ok, I have been and had a look at the car. I dont think I can get the inner trim panel off because there are three big screws to undo it (looking at the opp door) and they are located facing the door frame if you know what I mean, ie you can only see them when the door is open - and yes my problem is I cant opent the door.

However, I attempted the above and removed the plastic bit around the inside door opener and saw the white cable (which is not broken as I had previously suspected it was). I tried to put extra tension on that cable to open the door but it wouldnt work.

On thinking about this that may be logical because when the child lock is on the door is not supposed to open from the inside. I think therefore the design may be that attached on the inside of the outside handle must be the cable from the inside door handle but there must also be something which connects to the child lock and this is the bit that isnt working. So the only quick solution if it is a hammer job, I think, would be to smash the outside handle, be able to get and the mechanism and replace the handle - but I am not going to do this!

Instead I think I shall flog the car! I know it sounds drastic but I have been thinking of selling it anyway. I would of course tell the buyer that it has this prob. But it sounds like too much bother to me and I dont want the expense of the garage. Perhaps a handy person would buy it.

Anyone in the London area (I'm W11) interested in a P reg Passat Estate. Good runner and fantasic for taking to IKEA (holds loads). Taxed to end Sept MOT to beg of March 09.

?????????

0 0 0

9. Re: Child lock door jammed Passat '97 P reg 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi I can not understand,you can not remove the trim,there are 2 screws (inner door handle)and 1 screw on the bottom of the trim,there are no 3 big screws to remove,send me your e-mail address and i will send you the detailed diagram on how to do the job

0 0 0

10. Re: Child lock door jammed Passat '97 P reg 
    cabot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kenney View Post
    Hi I can not understand,you can not remove the trim,there are 2 screws (inner door handle)and 1 screw on the bottom of the trim,there are no 3 big screws to remove,send me your e-mail address and i will send you the detailed diagram on how to do the job

Thank you Kenney that would be great - cldale2003@yahoo.co.uk

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast