Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Hi
    Its maybe time to change my fantastic 5 yr old Bitdi with air suspension. Nothing else floats my boat. RS6 to lairy for me (and £20k more). 4.0V8 yes please!
    The S6 might be perfect. I spend most of my driving on motorways and A roads. Very little in town. Often near fully loaded with people/luggage.

I have no doubt its great fun when ragging it, but most of the time i am in the real world.....

Questions for owners please:
    1. is it a quiet comfortable cruiser at normal uk motorway speeds? Near silent i assume?
    2. Is there much difference between comfort and dynamic in terms of suspension stiffness and exhaust noise?
    3. What real world cruising mpg are you getting e.g. what does you long term trip computer say?
    4. I don't really want piano black interior, but it seems i have to with a black model. I do want 20" dark wheels, not available on the standard S6. FAIL.
    5. Any other thoughts/comments on changing from bitdi to 4.0V8?

Thanks
    rob
    S6 Black Avant: Tech advanced, Matrix, Keyless entry, Sunroof, Speed limit display, Tow bar, Rear camera
    Golf GTI (for the Mrs) BMW M140i (for work and fun )

0 0 0

2. Re: Questions for S6 owners 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyg View Post
    Hi
    Its maybe time to change my fantastic 5 yr old Bitdi with air suspension. Nothing else floats my boat. RS6 to lairy for me (and £20k more). 4.0V8 yes please!
    The S6 might be perfect. I spend most of my driving on motorways and A roads. Very little in town. Often near fully loaded with people/luggage.

I have no doubt its great fun when ragging it, but most of the time i am in the real world.....

Questions for owners please:
    1. is it a quiet comfortable cruiser at normal uk motorway speeds? Near silent i assume?
    2. Is there much difference between comfort and dynamic in terms of suspension stiffness and exhaust noise?
    3. What real world cruising mpg are you getting e.g. what does you long term trip computer say?
    4. I don't really want piano black interior, but it seems i have to with a black model. I do want 20" dark wheels, not available on the standard S6. FAIL.
    5. Any other thoughts/comments on changing from bitdi to 4.0V8?

Thanks
    rob
    Don't think there are many S6 owners on here, but having gone from 2014 BiTdi to a 2017 S6 (and having lived in the UK for 20+ yrs before Germany) I thought I would put my thoughts on this

1. I drive roughly once a month to the UK so get to sample the UK roads quite a bit and YES, it’s a very quiet cruiser at motorway speeds. The engine is very refined and quiter than the diesel. I find it hard to hear at idle. The interior noise depends on wheel size and tyre makes of course. My previous BiTdi had 20” and Michelins (I changed from factory Pirelli's) = a bit quiter than current 21” and standard Conti’s. Pity you can not select the option of all round double glazing in the UK, as this makes the car amazingly quiet.
    2. Yes. Same as on your BiTdi. But the S6 (standard) air suspension is specific for the S6 model. I find it somewhat stiffer and much better handling.
    3. Crusing in the UK see the nice number of 40+ mpg (cylinder shutdown!). My best avg so far has been 33mpg. Avg since new (5000mls) is around 27mpg.
    4. Go for the “normal” version. Add the black pack etc to keep the inlays you want. Personally I love the Carbon and everyone who has seen it reckons its very good looking. Re wheels. Personally I would go for the optional 20” S6 wheels (the first one on Audi UK build my car page) and then have them powercoated/painted in your own desired colour.
    5. You will love it. Drive it like normal and it’s a very nice behaved car, push it and the wolf awakens. You will spend a bit more time at the fuel stations, but to be honest, it’s worth it! I do 20K a year in mine, most of it long distance (UK, Poland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden etc) and quite welcome the extra stop one needs. Gives one a chance to strech those legs. The mpg has also improved greatly as the miles have piled up and I expect it to do better and better. Then of course you have all the talks about Petrol now being the greatest thing....

Go for it. You will not be unhappy
    2017 Audi S6 Avant
    2016 Volvo XC60 T5 R-Design (wife's)
    1987 Volvo 780 Bertone (my classic!)

0 0 0

3. Re: Questions for S6 owners 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks Patrik
    Enjoyed my test drive yesterday. Very quiet car even in dynamic. Some road noise from the 20s.
    Fuel consumption was terrifying though. The car was showing 23mpg since new, and 19 on my (not silly) test drive although it did boot it a few times.

Thanks for the wheel painting idea. My local place only charge s £350 to chemical strip then powder coat and oven bake all 4 wheels.

Amazed how few people on here have an S6 too it seems.
    S6 Black Avant: Tech advanced, Matrix, Keyless entry, Sunroof, Speed limit display, Tow bar, Rear camera

0 0 0

4. Re: Questions for S6 owners 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Thanks Patrik
    Enjoyed my test drive yesterday. Very quiet car even in dynamic. Some road noise from the 20s.
    Fuel consumption was terrifying though. The car was showing 23mpg since new, and 19 on my (not silly) test drive although it did boot it a few times.

Thanks for the wheel painting idea. My local place only charge s £350 to chemical strip then powder coat and oven bake all 4 wheels.

Amazed how few people on here have an S6 too it seems.
    Hehe....yes, it will slurp the fuel if you push it. But as I said, drive it normal and its actually quite good. Problem is, with so much power on tap its not easy to not push the right pedal
    2017 Audi S6 Avant

0 0 0

5. Re: Questions for S6 owners 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    You should do better than 23. If you really push these engines, you can see 10-12 on a highly spirited cross-country run (my best so far is 9 in my RS6 but I don't intend repeating that particular drive), but plenty of people see 30 or even more on a motorway if they are sensible. My long term average over 30,000 miles is 23mpg - mostly motorway, mostly sensible driving. From NewAudi's posts elsewhere, I suspect that Audi has sharpened the Cylinder on demand function to wring some extra miles out of each gallon since my car was made.

You are going to make some financial sacrifices to drive an S6 whether you push it constantly or drive like Miss Daisy (purchase cost, depreciation, servicing) so you might as well enjoy the engine and forget the fuel costs - it's just another outlay. But there is nothing - nothing - like a V8 at full chat, and this is a great engine.

0 0 0

6. Re: Questions for S6 owners 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks for the help gents.
    Order signed yesterday on an S6 black

Monumental discount, bettered Drive the Deal by almost a grand. Never bettered it in 15 years of buying cars. Very pleased.

Hopefully it will turn up in October.

1 1 0

7. Re: Questions for S6 owners 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Thanks for the help gents.
    Order signed yesterday on an S6 black

Monumental discount, bettered Drive the Deal by almost a grand. Never bettered it in 15 years of buying cars. Very pleased.

Hopefully it will turn up in October.

Nice one! Congratulations What colour?

Obviously will have to meet up once you get it to take some pics and compare Although in October mine will have its wintershoes on
    2017 Audi S6 Avant

0 0 0

8. Re: Questions for S6 owners 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Mythos black.
    I always like black cars.
    I have Havana black now, a mate has Mythos, it shines better!
    Treated myself to the sunroof too, mainly to amuse the kids on long journeys.

I should be in essex some time in the new year so will give you a shout.

0 0 0

9. Re: Questions for S6 owners 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Havana black....nice colour. Black with a bit of brown it. My dealer has it on their S8.

No worries, I am constantly travelling and tend to go past St.Neots while heading north as its quicker to go via Stansted for me than via A12/A14. Hopefully we can sort something out.
    2017 Audi S6 Avant

0 0 0

10. Re: Questions for S6 owners 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    I've been thinking about an s6 for a while. I'm doing less mileage now so can get away with a less economical car.
    What's the spec difference between a s6 and sline other than faster engine? Is it just air suspension? Any other stuff thrown in by Audi like sports diff, matrix led, Bose ?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast