1. Golf SE Mk3 Set Distributor Position / Ignition Timing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a Mark 3 Golf SE, 1.8 litre automatic. Engine Code ADZ.

I have recently fitted a new distributor and did my best to position the new distributor in the same position as the old one. I also fitted a new coil at the same time. The car now has an intermittent misfire on tickover.

I now wish to check the distributor position. I have a strobe light and VCDS Lite, shareware version.

Looking through the posts on this site I have come across two methods of doing this as follows:

a. Use VCDS Lite, basic setting 04, sub group 00, and then use a timing light. Unfortunately this does not work with the shareware version of the program.

b. Use VCDS Lite, measuring block 08, group007 and adjust distributor until zone 1 is between 57 and 60. I have tried this and get the message "Error Group 007 not available".

Can anyone advise me of how I can set the distributor position and also, should VCDS Lite shareware version be able to read the measuring block as given in (b) above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Regards
    Jon

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf SE Mk3 Set Distributor Position / Ignition Timing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The ECU MUST be put into Basic Settings 04 before the timing is set at 6° BTDC (the diamond mark on the flywheel) using a strobe timing light.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf SE Mk3 Set Distributor Position / Ignition Timing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Crasher

Thank you for the quick reply.

Does this mean that the only way I can set the distributor position is to get a registered version of VCDS Lite.

Regards
    Jon

0 0 0

4. Re: Golf SE Mk3 Set Distributor Position / Ignition Timing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Yes.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Golf SE Mk3 Set Distributor Position / Ignition Timing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Crasher

Many thanks for your help

Jon

0 0 0

6. Re: Golf SE Mk3 Set Distributor Position / Ignition Timing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have now managed to borrow a laptop from a friend with VAG-Com, it is version 409.1 and I seem to be able to use it to set the timing. Problem is that the misfire is still there.

My car is an automatic and the opening in the bell housing to set the timing does not have a pointer. I have searched the web and found the following picture which suggests that the marks have to be aligned with the left hand side of the hole when viewed from the side of the car.

Below is a picture taken from the front of my car looking down at about 45 degrees. The engine is to the left. I have marked the bottom edge of the hole which I have used to line up the timing marks.

The following is a sketch of the marks on the flywheel

I set the engine to TDC using the timing marks on the Camshaft sprocket. The "o" on the flywheel was then at the bottom edge of the hole (viewed from the front, as shown in picture of my car). I then used Vag-com basic settings 00 and a strobe light and lined the "scored line across flywheel" with the bottom edge of the hole.

I have two questions as follows
    1. Have I used the correct timing marks
    2. If I have managed to insert the distributor one tooth out on the helical drive, would this make any difference, given that I have set the distributor position using the strobe light.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards
    Jon

0 0 0

7. Re: Golf SE Mk3 Set Distributor Position / Ignition Timing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    This is the zero mark and where you align it. If the torque converter does not have a 6 degree mark you have to use a timing light where you can dial in 6 degrees to use the zero mark.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Golf SE Mk3 Set Distributor Position / Ignition Timing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Crasher

Once again, thank you for the good quick response, you are very dedicated to this forum.

I think your diagram confirms that I am doing the timing correctly.

If I have managed to insert the distributor one tooth out on the helical drive, would this make any difference to performance, given that I have set the distributor position using the strobe light.

Regards
    Jon

0 0 0

9. Re: Golf SE Mk3 Set Distributor Position / Ignition Timing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonma View Post
    you are very dedicated to this forum.
    No, it is just that I am a sad ******* with no friends and nothing better to do with my time

The distributor position on the teeth does not matter that much, what matters is where is fires.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Golf SE Mk3 Set Distributor Position / Ignition Timing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Crasher, thanks again for the response.

I still have the misfire. The full story is as follows. My wife was driving the car and it stopped. Called out the AA, no spark, they fitted another coil and still no spark, so replaced the original coil. I spoke to the AA man and he said "it must be the distributor, assuming my coil is OK". I fitted a recon distributor from GSF, still no spark, seeing as the AA man had reservations about his coil I fitted a new coil from GSF. Then had a spark and car started, but with misfire on tickover. When timing the engine it sounds better when the timing is further advanced than the setting given by the timing marks.

I assume that the old distributor was OK and the problem was the coil.

Situation now is that I have recon distributor, new coil and new Bosch spark plugs. There are no fault codes.

I spoke to GSF about testing their parts and they said it was possible but would take 5-6 weeks.

I don't know if the new parts are faulty or if it is something else like the ignition leads.

The misfire seems to get worse as the engine warms up. Fitting the new plugs made an improvement.

The misfire was not there before the original problem of the car stopping. Being an automatic this misfire can make the car difficult to drive in slow moving traffic.

Any help would be appreciated, particularly the likelihood of a faulty distributor, coil or anything else causing an intermittent misfire on tickover.

Regards
    Jon

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast