1. Audi B7 A4 2.0TFSI Quattro High Pressure Fuel Pump and Camshaft Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 55 plate (new shape) A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI with 70k on it. It has the GDI engine in it. It is a great car but a couple of weeks ago it was not accelerating smoothly. The garage has looked at it and found several problems, new coils, plugs and petrol tank pump were needed but still it would not pick up smoothly.

They have now looked at the high pressure pump on the engine and found that it is damaged along with the camshaft that drives it The case hardening on the camshaft has deteriorate. It is not clear if the case hardening failed first and caused the pump to fail (by vibration I guess) or if part of the pump failed and damaged the surface of the camshaft. Whatever way I am looking at a huge bill to fix this and not very happy.

Spoken to 2 Audi dealers, one has never seen this and the other has seen failures but I did not get the details.

Just curious if anyone else has come across this as an issue.
    Last edited by hal402; 28-10-2011 at 10:24 PM. Reason: just to clarify that it is the cam that drives the pump that is damaged not the valve cam.

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi B7 A4 2.0TFSI Quattro High Pressure Fuel Pump and Camshaft Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have heard of this problem on forums but thought it only happened in the USA where i think there were service issues involved. The problem is the follower which sits between the lobes on the camshaft and the plunger of the high pressure fuel pump.the follower can wear through leaving the plunger in direct contact with the lobes on the camshaft, this wears the lobes in no time at all. I have a 2006 Avant 2.0TFSI quattro with the BWE engine, and i'm lucky to have an audi service manager as a pal. last year i spoke to him about this problem but he'd never come across a follower that had ever failed. for piece of mind i replaced the follower on my car at 110k miles the part was only £28. it took about an hour but the one that came out had no wear on it what so ever. i think you have been very unlucky

0 0 0

3. Re: Audi B7 A4 2.0TFSI Quattro High Pressure Fuel Pump and Camshaft Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you for the information. I am just curious if it is a one off or a problem.

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi B7 A4 2.0TFSI Quattro High Pressure Fuel Pump and Camshaft Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just found this link about Volkswagen of America, Inc. who has released a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) stating that there is a known problem concerning premature wear of the intake camshaft lobe and camshaft follower that drive the FSI high-pressure fuel pump. I think I will be talking to Audi UK.
    http://www.goapr.com/support/fsi_fue...stallation.pdf

0 0 0

5. Re: Audi B7 A4 2.0TFSI Quattro High Pressure Fuel Pump and Camshaft Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hal402 View Post
    I think I will be talking to Audi UK.
    It is a well known problem but on a six year old car with (possibly) a non-genuine history Audi will tell you to go and do one and quite rightly so.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Audi B7 A4 2.0TFSI Quattro High Pressure Fuel Pump and Camshaft Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    It is a well known problem but on a six year old car with (possibly) a non-genuine history Audi will tell you to go and do one and quite rightly so.
    hi . i know this is an old thread but i have recently bought an a4 with the 2.0tfsi engine so after looking on the net i found this to be an issue in the us so to be on the safe side i have ordered the follower . whilst talking to the parts lads at audi manchester they told me they had never sold a single one when i asked if they had supplied them to their own workshop the answer was no never . now i dont expect those lads to hide behind the corporate image so i believe this to be true . so my question is is it such a big issue this side of the pond . i am going to change mine just for peace of mind . your thought would be very welcome many thanks

0 0 0

7. Re: Audi B7 A4 2.0TFSI Quattro High Pressure Fuel Pump and Camshaft Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I have had it on the Golf 5, Leon Cupra, A3 and just a random one, a 1.4 FSI Polo!
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Audi B7 A4 2.0TFSI Quattro High Pressure Fuel Pump and Camshaft Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sbt View Post
    hi . i know this is an old thread but i have recently bought an a4 with the 2.0tfsi engine so after looking on the net i found this to be an issue in the us so to be on the safe side i have ordered the follower . whilst talking to the parts lads at audi manchester they told me they had never sold a single one when i asked if they had supplied them to their own workshop the answer was no never . now i dont expect those lads to hide behind the corporate image so i believe this to be true . so my question is is it such a big issue this side of the pond . i am going to change mine just for peace of mind . your thought would be very welcome many thanks
    well i finally got round to replacing the cam follower on my a4 today .i was pleasantly surprised to see minimal wear after 96644 miles just a spot about 4mm in the centre of the follower no dishing just the black surface treatment rubbed off so i replaced it for peace of mind the cam looked great perfectly smooth with zero sign of wear . its strange how some wear and some have minimal signs of wear i have seen pictures on the net mainly in the us where the whole bottom of the follower as completely gone . i am sure the one in my car is the original one as it as full boston audi service history and i phoned them to see if any work had been done to the follower the answer was no . so happy days

0 0 0

9. Re: Audi B7 A4 2.0TFSI Quattro High Pressure Fuel Pump and Camshaft Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have just purchased a 2007 tfsi quattro with 75k and full history is it worth checking the cam follower or am i being paranoid

0 0 0

10. Re: Audi B7 A4 2.0TFSI Quattro High Pressure Fuel Pump and Camshaft Failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I have just had to do a full £2k front of engine rebuild on a chain drive 2 litre turbo FSI in a 2010 A5 where the chain jumped and the inlet cam went 90 degrees out of phase! No hit thank God. The chains were so worn that the main one was a full 2 centimetres longer than a new one, but it had done 117K miles. The sprockets were really badly worn, especially on the balancer shafts which required a £300 rebuild kit and I put this down to one factor alone, Longlife oil changes. I have also just yesterday done the chains on a 1.6 FSI Golf 5 BAG engine, 67K and every moving parts was worn out on the cam and oil pump chain system, Longlife servicing from new, in fact I gave it only is fourth ever documented oil change! It should have been nearly due for its seventh! Longlife my ****, if ever there was a name that meant the opposite!

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0