1. Swimming pool under battery 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    2005 A4 Avant - just got caught by this one, 3 litres of water on Friday and 4litres on Saturday. I gather it is a common problem. Battery out and a good clean out of many pine needles and gunge. Reading the various posts on the problem, was there ever a concensus on leaving out the bung out or not, re possible fumes into the cabin filter? There were no holes or slits in the main bung, but I have compromised by punching a couple of quarter inch holes, which could well get clogged up again. There was no hole in the bung under the brake servo, but there is now.
    Without any holes, how did the water get out before?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: Swimming pool under battery 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grambrow View Post
    2005 A4 Avant - just got caught by this one, 3 litres of water on Friday and 4litres on Saturday. I gather it is a common problem. Battery out and a good clean out of many pine needles and gunge. Reading the various posts on the problem, was there ever a concensus on leaving out the bung out or not, re possible fumes into the cabin filter? There were no holes or slits in the main bung, but I have compromised by punching a couple of quarter inch holes, which could well get clogged up again. There was no hole in the bung under the brake servo, but there is now.
    Without any holes, how did the water get out before?

When I had an A4 I took them both out as soon as I could. Drove it more than 50k with no issue's. Eventually they fill up to the top and come in. They get into the wiring inside the nsf kick panel and then the convenience unit under nsf seat. Then the fun begins. If your really unlucky on a below freezing night the servo freezes and you come out to a rock hard brake pedal.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2 0 0

3. Re: Swimming pool under battery 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    There are two drain bungs and a number of blank bungs. If you have found bungs without holes you are looking at the wrong ones! The drains are like a small rubber funnel that narrows down to a slot which acts as a one way valve to let water out but nothing come back in.

They do serve a purpose and I have left mine in, I just take cleaning them out as an annual service job. Others have just removed them and I have not heard of anyone suffering any ill effect.

You pay your money and take your choice really.

1 0 0

4. Re: Swimming pool under battery 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeE View Post
    There are two drain bungs and a number of blank bungs. If you have found bungs without holes you are looking at the wrong ones! The drains are like a small rubber funnel that narrows down to a slot which acts as a one way valve to let water out but nothing come back in.

They do serve a purpose and I have left mine in, I just take cleaning them out as an annual service job. Others have just removed them and I have not heard of anyone suffering any ill effect.

You pay your money and take your choice really.
    Thanks George, but I did not notice any small bungs when I hosed out the plenum, only one large oval one 2x1 inches under the battery and a 1 inch circular one under the brake servo, with no holes in either. They have now.
    Will keep an eye on flooding and have a better look next time the battery comes out.

On a related issue, when I reconnected the battery the key fob would not work, but the driver’s door lock opened everything. Then neither would work, except to open the driver’s door with the key. Now the key fob works, but not the door key. Such is life.

0 0 0

5. Re: Swimming pool under battery 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    They will definitely be there, I know the two you have punctured, that isn't them. The ones you want are probably full to the top with gunge.

You need to resync the key after reconnecting the battery. From memory, open the door, turn on the ignition, turn off the ignition, press lock then unlock.

0 0 0

6. Thumbs up Re: Swimming pool under batteryk 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=Grambrow;1073196]Thanks George, but I did not notice any small bungs when I hosed out the plenum, only one large oval one 2x1 inches under the battery and a 1 inch circular one under the brake servo, with no holes in either. They have now.
    Will keep an eye on flooding and have a better look next time the battery comes out.

On a related issue, when I reconnected the battery the key fob would not work, but the driver’s door lock opened everything. Then neither would work, except to open the driver’s door with the key. Now the key fob works, but not the door key. Such is life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Thanks again George. Your key sync advice worked fine. Key & fob now OK.

0 0 0

7. Re: Swimming pool under batteryk 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I've recently been getting water filling up to the battery on my A4 B6 cab and like others have found its due to blocked rubber drains called 'Scuttle' drain (see photo), that sit below the battery. I've just drained my water and found you can do it without removing the battery or any tools, well at least on my 1.8T engine.
    Looking at the battery reach your arm right underneath from the engine bay and start feeling around the middle back where the battery sits above, you need to get your hand past a large hose and you will feel with your fingers a soft rubber drain that hangs down (see photo). Stick you finger in by feel and water will start to pour out, i just pulled the scuttle drain completely off, if theres issues will put back, but doubt there will be. There will be worse results if you leave the water in as it can spill over the passenger side inside the car and into the ABS control units.
    Attached Images

0 0 0

8. Re: Swimming pool under batteryk 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    As I said to George, I did not notice any skuttle drains when I hosed out, only the large bungs. Battery is now back in, but will have a feel around or look more closely next time battery is out.

0 0 0

9. Re: Swimming pool under batteryk 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Snap49.jpgthe image I posted shows the skuttle drain upside down, the flanged part hangs below the bulk head, it will be there.

see video.... Audi water leak problem FIX! Battery removal - YouTube

0 0 0

10. Re: Swimming pool under batteryk 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Not sure you can get your hand under there on the 1.9 diesel, I did try very hard! Also remember there is another one under the brake servo, if water builds up in there it can rot the bottom of the servo out which means no assistance with braking so make sure both are clear.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast