1. What braking system for my BiTDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Evening all. My BiTDI needs new discs and pads all round. I'm going to do the fronts and take it to my local Indy garage to sort the rears.

My PR codes are 1LL for the fronts and 2EA for the rears. However, these PR codes seems to have different brake systems within them. Any ideas which one(s) my car has, or an easy way to tell?

Choices seem to be ATE or Teves for the fronts and Lucas or TRW for the rears.

Does it matter which I go for?

I was hoping to upgrade the performance of the brakes slightly, so was thinking brembo discs all round and brembo rear pads, then some red stuff front pads. Need something to help bring the old girl to a halt when I've been overusing the go pedal...!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: What braking system for my BiTDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    I have a set of 2017 S6 brake calipers and front and rear discs with pads nearly new if you feel like a brembo upgrade !
    RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics Brakes and lots more.
    A6 BiTdi Avant MTM
    Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, RS6 Seats,Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds,High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Interior Retrim

0 0 0

3. Re: What braking system for my BiTDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I fitted M-tec disks and pads on my BiTDi. They are drilled and coated. However I'm not keen on the actual pads. So I'll be swapping the pads for some Red-stuff ones shortly.

1LL is 356mm
    2EA is 330mm

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F401127508792

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F291774939921

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

4. Re: What braking system for my BiTDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by morski View Post
    I have a set of 2017 S6 brake calipers and front and rear discs with pads nearly new if you feel like a brembo upgrade !
    Haha thanks for the offer but I'd like the whole S6 if that's going spare

0 0 0

5. Re: What braking system for my BiTDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlyM View Post
    I fitted M-tec disks and pads on my BiTDi. They are drilled and coated. However I'm not keen on the actual pads. So I'll be swapping the pads for some Red-stuff ones shortly.

1LL is 356mm
    2EA is 330mm

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F401127508792

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F291774939921

I've got mintex pads on my CRV and they aren't the best so I agree with you there.

When searching for 356mm discs under PR code 1LL it seems to give 2 different braking systems, and the same for the rear. This is using the ******* website which has lots of brake disc and pad options for my age and model A6 (2017 bitdi avant).

Trouble is the different braking systems suitable for seemingly the same PR code are slightly different sizes for the pads, even those the discs are the same. For example you only seem to be able to get red stuff pads for the ATE front braking system under the 1LL PR code.

I'm So confused

0 0 0

6. Re: What braking system for my BiTDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    I went with TRW all round on my 272.
    Can’t fault them. Took the abuse when I needed them and most of all the trw had so much less black brake dust compared to the oe stuff. The hub was also coated in black and pretty hard wearing compared to the oe ones.
    I actually have a set of front discs and rear discs and pads all trw cotec for sale. Pm me for details.

0 0 0

7. Re: What braking system for my BiTDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSRed View Post
    I've got mintex pads on my CRV and they aren't the best so I agree with you there.

When searching for 356mm discs under PR code 1LL it seems to give 2 different braking systems, and the same for the rear. This is using the ******* website which has lots of brake disc and pad options for my age and model A6 (2017 bitdi avant).

Trouble is the different braking systems suitable for seemingly the same PR code are slightly different sizes for the pads, even those the discs are the same. For example you only seem to be able to get red stuff pads for the ATE front braking system under the 1LL PR code.

I'm So confused

Seems you have two choices.
    - Remove wheel and measure the diameter of the disk whilst taking pictures of the pads and shape. (This is what I had to do)

- Call Audi and ask them to clarify with part numbers and using Online Audi vehicles spare parts catalogue, Audi VIN decoder, Part number search, *** Online
    Pop in the part numbers and that should give you the sizes and/or shape of disk/pads

0 0 0

8. Re: What braking system for my BiTDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSRed View Post
    When searching for 356mm discs under PR code 1LL it seems to give 2 different braking systems, and the same for the rear. This is using the ******* website which has lots of brake disc and pad options for my age and model A6 (2017 bitdi avant

Just checked.
    You will probably find that the different years had used different manufacturer for the brake components so some might say Lucas and others say ATE. they both should be the same.
    ******* is a bit useless finding bits unless you have the correct part number. It always pushes stuff it thinks is right for your car and you need to make an effort to find the stuff you need or want.
    1LL is 356mm disc and as far as I can see there’s only 1 type of disc and it’s the same disc on the 1LF. For pads I could only find 1 variant and that’s ATE compatible for 1LL.

2EA was the same and used in lots of vag cars.

Probably best to check catalogues for Brembo, trw etc and search for those part numbers rather than by car as the same car, same year and spec could have different components. This is where the pr numbers come in.

1 0 0

9. Re: What braking system for my BiTDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Just my 2p worth: I recently did a similar exercise. A lot of research etc. and the outcome was as following:
    As I was happy with the default stopping power but not with the amount of dust, I opted for ATE ceramic pads.
    ATE do not recommend drilled/slotted disks to be used with their ceramic pads. Hence, I opted for their "OEM quality" stuff
    Now I have ATE all around (pads and disks) and after few hundred miles, I am very chuffed.
    The pedal feel is slightly different: the very first contact seems the same. Then, it goes slightly "softer" (that's the closest I can describe it) but it actually lets you apply the stopping force very accurately.
    If you step on it (think emergency), better be strapped in properly as the car stops like it has hit a wall.
    I have not tried (to the extreme) the resilience to fading but everything else is very positive.
    They also look nice (albeit not very "sporty") as the disks are painted and won't rust.
    BTW I got everything on *******.
    Hope this helps someone...

Sent from my mobile...

0 0 0

10. Re: What braking system for my BiTDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny31 View Post
    They also look nice (albeit not very "sporty") as the disks are painted and won't rust.
    BTW I got everything on *******.
    Hope this helps someone...

Sent from my mobile...
    That’s the thing to watch out for. A lot of the cheaper eurocarparts stuff won’t have painted hubs and will turn rusty within a few days. Doesn’t affect stopping but looks basically crap. That’s the reason I went with trw as they are painted black. I couldn’t confirm any others on ******* site so good to hear ate are another one that’s painted.
    Another thing to be careful of is ******* can take over a week to deliver as it comes from Europe, just in case you are in a rush.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast