Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Where is Aircon Recharge Point on Passat TDI 2003?

1. Where is Aircon Recharge Point on Passat TDI 2003? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    HI

I have a DIY Aircon Recharge Kit but cant fine the AC points to attach the Cannister to, Any ideas where the AC Rechargepoints are?

Thanks

0 0 0

2. Talking Air Con Recharge Kit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You say you have an aircon recharge Kit but is this just for a pressure recharge as you think the system pressure is low?
    Because if so, you may be wasting your hard earned!
    The refrigerant gas in aircon systems shares a characteristic with that of Brake Fluid, in that it is Hygroscopic, in other words it absorbs moisture from the outside atmosphere.
    This happens in an air conditioning system also so merely topping up the system pressure will not remove the accumulated moisture which builds up over time. This moisture will accelerate corrosion in your pump, seals and internal components leading to leaks and loss of refrigerant pressure and a tepid or warm aircon and a big bill to face!
    What you need to do is get a proper Aircon service, this is done at numerous places and costs £100 or so.
    The old gas is sucked out of the system and replaced with Nitrogen Gas, this gas is circulated through a heater and around your system picking up all of the accumulated moisture as it does so.
    After about an hour the Nitrogen Gas is completely dry and is removed and replaced by fresh refrigerant which also contains a flourescing dye which makes spotting leaks much easier.
    The system is then charged up to proper working pressure before being sealed off.
    Some systems also have a dessicant or coalescer filter designed to trap moisture like an oil filter traps sludge. This also should be changed during an a/c service.
    Using a recharge kit for your air con is merely like topping up the old stale oil in your car with a drop of fresh and not bothering to change the filter. This is the same reason why brake fluid should be changed in your braking system every two years, fail do do so and your system merely rots from the inside.
    I know it's probably not what you want to hear but it's best to get the job done properly and as with brake fluid it should be done once every two years, also make sure you run your a/c in the winter a couple of times a week. Doing so will keep the seals in your system damp and stop leaks. The most common fault is people leaving their a/c offline for the winter, the seals dry out and the gas escapes and they have low or no system pressure when they start up in the spring.
    Hope this helps you
    Regards
    Gazza 57

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I take my hat off to you Gazza57, that is one of the best replies I have ever read, all too often the advise given is dubious to say the least. I too was considering a DIY kit, but for the extra £50.00 I will get it done properly, thanks again for a thorough explaination.

0 0 0

4. Talking My own experience 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for that Colorado,
    I am only passing on what I had been told a couple of years back, I had a SAAB 9000 and the a/c was not good and like you I considered buying a DIY kit.
    An aircon engineer spent the time explaining the basic principles and it was from this that I went to a local aircon agent.
    They explained to me what their portable machine did as I outlined earlier and after shelling out £99 I think it was, The system was really efficient, having it on cold boost made the cabin cool in about 15 minutes.
    I now have an Audi and in november I shall get the aircon serviced.
    I used an independent garage who did a thorough job.
    Gazza 57

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I am qualified to perform air con regasing, I took the course a couple of years ago, with the intention of doing this as a part time job, and I agree 100% with what Gazza has said.

It may cost a little more, but the system will be cleaned, checked, 100% of air expelled from the system, then refilled with the CORRECT amount of R134a gas & oil.

My advise is get it done by a qualified ac specilist
    Stuart l VWAudi Forum
    VW Audi Forum - Founder

Member of BMW Car Club GB
    - Email: stuart@vwaudiforum.co.uk -

If you need a Part, a Garage, a Tuning Company, or even an Official Dealer the please visit
    our Supporting Companies They are all there to help by offering advice and products or services..."You support them - They Support us"

Ways to support the website

Details of the VW Audi Forum Insurance Scheme, See Here

If you like the site and you would like to donate please click here and use the PayPal button on the right hand side

Please Note: PLEASE DO NOT Email or PM me with any vehicle related technical questions. I am not qualified to give that sort of advice, please ask the experts we have on the forum.

0 0 0