Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Hi all,

Can anybody help on this? There are lots of threads on both this site and others about how to replace the rear pads on my '98 Passat but no mention of how this will effect the handbrake setting.

Haynes tell you to disconnect the cable before starting and then refer you to the section on replacing the handbrake cable, Erwin also tell you to disconnect the cable and then have a full page on readjusting it underneath the car (something I would like to avoid if possible).

One thread I've found suggests winding the piston 1 turn back from fully depressed before fitting the pads, another suggests that repeatedly pulling up the handbrake lever will self adjust the system.

Can anybody give me a definitive answer on what to do either before and/or after the pad change to avoid having to crawl under the car.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

0 0 0

2. Re: Handbrake adjustment after pad change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is what i did when i changed mine last week.
    Wind the piston back completely.
    Fit the pads and tighten the caliper bolts back.
    Put the wheel back on.
    Press the foot brake up and down several times.
    Then pull the handbrake up and down several times.

Worked for me and i've had no problems with biting. Hope this helps.

0 0 0

3. Re: Handbrake adjustment after pad change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    The handbrake is self adjusting so do as Dave says. The reason for "instructions" on disconnecting, reconnecting and adjusting the handbrake cable is to stop any previous "over adjustment" interfering with pad fitting. If someone has over adjusted the brake cable in the past, it will not completely return to rest. If it doesn't return to rest properly, the automatic adjustment won't work properly. That's why you need about 1.5mm between the handbrake cable arm on the caliper and the stop. I hope this makes sense.

0 0 0

4. Thumbs up Re: Handbrake adjustment after pad change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Thank you to both Dave and Martin for your replies. Shall give it a go on Saturday, weather (and volcanic ash ) permitting.

0 0 0

5. Re: Handbrake adjustment after pad change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    My brother recently changed the front discs/pads on my 97 1.9 TDI SE. A couple of days after doing so, I noticed that the handbrake had aquired a lot of slack in the down (off) position. This meant I had to pull it high to get the handbrake to work.
    After about 3 weeks, it seemed to right itself and the handbrake went to being very effective, and not pulling up excessively high.
    It has just gone slack again, can anybody suggest what might be happening, and how it can be put right? (apart from taking it to the main *******!)
    Thank to all readers,
    Russ

0 0 0

6. Re: Handbrake adjustment after pad change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The front pads have no effect on the handbrake. I suggest you strip and clean the rear pads and carrier. An inspection may reveal your problem. Be aware that this may be a fraying handbrake cable. Regards Peter

1 0 0

7. Re: Handbrake adjustment after pad change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi Peter, thanks for the reply.
    I'll ask my brother to take a look for what you have mentioned.
    Cheers,
    Russ

0 0 0

8. Re: Handbrake adjustment after pad change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    This seems a bit of a wierd one, the handbrake has now gone 'slack' again. It appears to be cyclic.
    If anyone has had experience of this, or may be able to offer an explanation as to what is going on, I'd be really grateful.
    Thanks,
    Russ

0 0 0

9. Re: Handbrake adjustment after pad change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Have you or your brother inspected the rear calipers and the cables. Regards Peter

1 0 0

10. Re: Handbrake adjustment after pad change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    The handbrake usually feels slack because one of the calipers has seized in the on position. Jack the car and spin the back wheels. One of them probably feels tight. If you don't fix it soon, the pads will be destroyed and you could cook the wheel.

1 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast