1. Re: Vulcan XH558 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I saw a program a few years ago, I think it was presented by Clarkson, about these guys in Cuba keeping old American cars from the 50's running. They were able to cast, form and panel beat a new anything from scratch. Has to be similarly skilled guys in the UK, the older mechanics were highly skilled improvisers

0 0 0

2. Re: Vulcan XH558 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    We have amazing metal fab people in the UK who can construct a body shell from scratch and others who can skin a Spitfire and they were all over the place were the blueprints are concerned and it's not an issue.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

3. Re: Vulcan XH558 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So what's stopping one from getting the parts fabbed and fitted? Finances?

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 1 0

4. Re: Vulcan XH558 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    There was more to it than that, an Olympus or two could easily be procured 0 hours but some of the leading edge skins need replacing and as they were hand made by British craftsmen, finding a couple of bearded chaps in blue coats to bend and rivet some Duralumin is proving to be too costly. I had a letter from the head of the project when I emailed him to express my disappointment at letting a little bit of tin bending getting in the way of some more flying but the incumbent management seem to have lost most of that original energy that the project exhibited and have instead fallen into the typical "bothered?" mentality that is paralysing this country, probably too politically incorrect to keep a Cold War icon in view and instead the effort will be put into allowing two men being able to sanction their perverse acts in the name of God's holly institution of marriage, or perhaps arrest some more fathers needing triple heart bypass operations for sending their sons a happy birthday greeting-seriously, this ******* country is losing its grip! I thought that when Tony Cameron [sic] came to power we would see the light once again, now I look to a bombastic shock of blond hair for hope and he had better nit [sic] disappoint or UKIP here I come!
    Well Crasher,
    We are now still reaping the legacy of the abolition of the Industrial Training Boards in 1980 to be replaced by the cheap low cost alternatives we all know and hate, and I don't need to tell you who was responsible for that particular piece of corporate demolition your beloved Mrs T, the PM who thought we could scrap engineering and survive as a service economy.... we have lots of bankers, brokers, agents ,service agents, what we need are SKILLS.

Fact is we are without the requisite manual skills to manufacture these bits except by an army of volunteers who like you and perhaps me were properly trained through apprenticeships in Engineering and who love the Vulcan but who are slowly dwindling in numbers to be replaced by an army of Ipad engineers who can produce some nice coloured projections or trending charts and push them to someone else's Ipad but sadly little else.

Tony cameron doesn't give a damn, the tories were once the party of the armed forces, not now he has chopped the armed forces to bits, no carriers, no strike aircraft for another four or five years, we are committed to purchasing the F35 , the price is whatever the US decides we shall pay, and they control both the sales and the manufacture.
    Gazza57

0 1 0

5. Re: Vulcan XH558 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    Your right about David Blair witch project 2, he is a weak ****** but I don't want what's his name, you know, the one with adenoid trouble and the mad ******* twins "Balls and Harmen" double act. As for UKIP yes I agree with a lot of what they say, an awful lot BUT if they got elected it would be a farce, they do not have the infrastructure to form a cohesive government, what we need is a charismatic shock of blond hair with an intelligent man underneath it to slap everyone into shape and get things moving... Yes Mrs Thatcher made mistakes, we all do, but a little project of hers up on Tyneside now turns out more cars annually than the WHOLE of Italy...
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

2 1 0

6. Re: Vulcan XH558 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1.8 passat.standard at mo'/ mazda mx5 red mk1 loads o' fun

0 0 0

7. Re: Vulcan XH558 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    There is something about the publicity company they took on a few years ago that I do not like, they seem to work like a pseudo Daily Mail in trying to raise awareness by scare mongering tactics, constantly winding people up to raise CASH. This is not the way I want it played and possibly the way a lot of aviation supporters like things done, we are content to keep providing cash to keep XH558 flying but the constant weekly winding up and “the end is nigh” worrying tactics they use only work for a short period and then supporters become weary of the threats of imminent demise. Just lashing the old girl up for another 2 years on the circuit is not good enough, the previous generation Avro heavyweight is still kept flying ad infinitum by the RAF and another by a small team in Canada plus soon a couple of chicken farmers over Skegness way will have one in the air. The money that XH558 can raise is surely enough to keep the next generation heavyweight to come from Messrs AV Roe in the air for many years to come; I am not sure what is going on there but I do not like it.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Vulcan XH558 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had a chance to see the Vulcan as it undertook its "last ever flight" this weekend but this happened;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-23020015

Thankfully it's not the last ever flight and they've secured enough funding for another two years.

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 0 0

9. Re: Vulcan XH558 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The Vulcan is due to visit Southport Air Show this Next week-end.Its amazing seeing this cold war beast flying.the noise from thoses engines flying low over you is something you dont forget.Every year i drag the mrs to the beach(to watch the air show) she loves sitting in the cold for hours....
    Its not a done thing for the Vulcan.It could be a No show due to a fuel leak.Bugger.
    Lets hope they fix it in time.One of the Big attractions along side the Euro fighter for me.
    Fingers crossed.
    2000 2.5TDI Quattro 173,000miles, just run in...Sold
    2006 TT 3.2 Quattro 40,000miles
    2005 A6 Avant 3.0TDI Quattro

0 0 0

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112