Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 1993 Audi Cabriolet - Manual Roof - 3 Hands?

1. 1993 Audi Cabriolet - Manual Roof - 3 Hands? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey guys,

Should I need three hands to put the roof up or down on a 1993 cabriolet with a manual roof?

I get to the point of needing to lift the rear of the roof up to release the hatch over the storage area. I then raise the storage area hatch and hold it up (one hand), and lower the rear of the roof into the storage area (second hand) whilst holding the front edge of the roof up to stop it falling down with a bang (third hand).

There seems to be a few possibilities for what is wrong:

1. I'm doing it wrong (perfectly possible).
    2. You're supposed to let the front of the roof bang down, hence only needing one hand to lower the rear of the roof into the storage area, and the other hand to hold the storage area hatch.
    3. The storage area hatch is supposed to latch into the upright position.
    4. Audi intended this to be a two-person job.

Can anyone shed any advice? I'm kinda guessing the storage area hatch should lock vertically as it almost feels like it's trying to, but it doesn't. If it should lock vertically, does anyone have any ideas on figuring out why it's not doing?

Cheers!

1 0 0

2. Re: 1993 Audi Cabriolet - Manual Roof - 3 Hands? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello there, I to have a manually folding roof and it involves a lot of running from side to side of the car, personally i do it as follows
    1.undo twist handle inside the car
    2. fold back front and back of roof at same time
    3. holding back of roof up only at 90 degree (vertical) angle on my audi also holds up front at same time it kinda locks together.
    4.undo one catch for roof compartment then run round to the other side and undo the other whilst supporting back of roof with other hand.
    5.Lift up roof compartment lid and then ease back of roof into compartment from either side whilst following with other hand on front.
    6.Close roof compartment. Phew!
    Simple lol
    PS dont be under any illusion that the roof will stay with front and back up at same time without you holding it up, cos first time I done my roof i thought it would and had my fingers in the scissor part of the frame and it almost took my fingers off. Hope this helps.

0 0 0

3. Re: 1993 Audi Cabriolet - Manual Roof - 3 Hands? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im glad im not the only one who is having to look like im stuggling trying to take the roof down in tescos car park. Is this how its supposed to work or is the parcel shelf supposed to pop open on its own? I dont even know if I have a manual or an auto roof but to open mine i have a handle between the 2 visors, i turn it and the roof opens a bit. I then have to lift the back of the roof under the window, lift the flap near the parcel shelf and pull the greasy brass lever to unclick the one side, keep hold of the roof and run round and do the other side, then lift the shelf up, then fold it all away. Kinda like when you see a woman with way too many kids trying to fold a push chair up to get on the bus.
    Isnt there a button or something that makes the shelf open?

0 0 0

4. Re: 1993 Audi Cabriolet - Manual Roof - 3 Hands? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah its on drivers side in doorshut little red button for release but mines broke.

0 0 0

5. Re: 1993 Audi Cabriolet - Manual Roof - 3 Hands? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Folding down the roof is easy if you have the knack to do it

Here's how I do it.

1) Undo T-Bar and lift letting the windows drop.
    2) Lift back the roof unit the back end pops up then hold it with the top of my forearm while I press the button for the back cover to release then pull it up a little with my fingers.
    3) Pull back the front of the roof so the back end holds up and open the cover fully.
    4) Lift the back of the roof and pull back the front to start it concertinaing.
    5) Drop the whole thing into its recess and tuck in the roof lining then let the back cover slam shut.

Job done

It's all a matter of practice really but can be done in a few seconds. The trick is getting the roof itself to "lock" with the back and front sticking up so to speak and jamming it there with your forearm while you press the cover release button so you can pull that up. I'm thinking of looking for a way to retro fit a spring so when the cover release button is pressed the cover will pop up but figuring this out while making sure the roof won't fowl it is another matter. I'm sure there's a way to do this.

0 0 0