Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello

Im new to this site so apologies if i have posted in the wrong place!!!

I have a Y-Reg golf TDi, high mileage (151k) and the heater matrix has recently had to be disconnected after daily filling of my engine coolant and due to leaking in the front passenger foot well.

Ive had quotes of £300-400 pound to replace it and not knowing anything about cars im wondering is this about right or can i get it done cheaper? I do appreciate its a big job due to the dash etc having to come out first but time of year etc i dont want to be paying over the odds.

To top it all off its due an MOT this week so im panicking big time as im aware it will need new pads and discs in the near future and possibly whatever else it fails on!

Or should i just sell the thing and get a cheap run around untill im back on my feet as i cant really afford a new car at the moment, hence the penny pinching!?

thanks for any advice, it is appreciated

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf MK4 - heater matrix help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi there, Ive just checked the ICME labour time, and its 3.7 book hours, so it will be costly, some of us here have access to elsa, or the sort, perhaps find a friend of a friend or someone here can do it for beer tokens??

Id initially try a small bottle of barsleaks / radweld, it would be worth trying a bottle at £5.50 ish to see if the crack can be repaired (filled) in situ, rather than the dash coming out... to find it could have been repaired with a £5 bottle... get me??

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf MK4 - heater matrix help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The 3.7 hours is not realistic.The work times quoted in the repair operation list in Elsa,are the hours the factory pays in compensation,when a job is carried out under warranty.In reality you can estimate the given hours x 1.8

0 0 0

4. Re: Golf MK4 - heater matrix help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Elsa is how long it takes to do a job, perhaps the customer pays a higher labour rate...1.8 times higher maybe

Same goes for ICME

0 0 0

5. Thumbs up Re: Golf MK4 - heater matrix help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by producedapples View Post
    Elsa is how long it takes to do a job, perhaps the customer pays a higher labour rate...1.8 times higher maybe

Same goes for ICME
    Afraid you are wrong there matey and, as an example,if you can replace a heater matrix on a Golf 4 in 3,7 hrs,you can come and work for me any time

0 0 0

6. Re: Golf MK4 - heater matrix help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yeh ok!!

ICME labour time to remove and refit a crank sensor on a renault scenic is 0.4, or 24 mins.... its 2 x 10mm bolts on the top of the bell housing, so if your saying its 0.4 x 1.8 = 0.72 = 42 mins to remove and refit a sensor yeh that can be seen on top of the bell housing by just looking under the bonnet...

My dad has a scenic, had this problem, it takes less than 5 mins to do the job!!

0 0 0

7. Re: Golf MK4 - heater matrix help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know nothing what so ever about Renault time set jobs,i'am talking VAG related.The VAG times(Elsa Repair Operation List) are factory set times,they are estimated from the vehicle is standing on the workshop floor,and to carry out the said work position,I would say 99.9% of the work positions in Elsa are not realistic in comparison of how long it really takes to do the operation.If the workshops were to use the same said time units,they wouldn't be in buisness very long.

0 0 0