Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there

First post, hopefully I'll get this right!!

Car is a 2002 1.9 Sport TDi Passat

I've had it for a couple of years, no real problems. It's had VAG service until I bought it, then local garage. Oil changed about 5,000 miles ago, and has done about 113,000 miles.

Lately had a strange squealing/rattling noise coming from the engine, along with the alternator warning light coing on. Sounded particularly rough when on full lock. Put into garage and they changed the alternator.

All good for a day, then after about 50 miles, the oil light came on when my partner was driving it (on the motorway). She parked up shortly afterwards, but didn't notice much difference in performance. Later on when I picked the car up (in town) the oil light came on again, and there was no power at all - stuck at about 2000 revs in second. Didn't drive any further, and car is now left in town, as I assumed it was in limp mode.

Going to the garage tomorrow to see what they think, but I'm wondering if the two events can be related or whether it's just coincidence. Haven't had the chance to check the oil level yet (I was on the way to the airport when all this happened, just back today!), but doing a google suggests an expensive problem!

Any thoughts folks?

Cheers

Gav

0 0 0

2. Re: alternator/oil warning/limp mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Oil light coming on can be bad news. You won't know until the oil level is checked. If it's ok, get an oil pressure test done and a code read. If you lost oil pressure, turbo would sieze and low boost pressure would send it into limp mode. It would also destory the engine so lets hope it's not that serious. Good luck.

0 0 0

3. Re: alternator/oil warning/limp mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi again

OK., checked the oil today and it was just on the min - topped it up and the warning light hasn't come on again. The loss of power is still there though - it seems to hit a flat spot around 2000 revs then the turbo kicks in just below 2500 (though with nothing like the kick that it used to). The engine sounds good and seems driveable apart from the loss of power, and there's no smoke. I'm wondering if they've maybe disturbed a vacuum hose when they've taken the engine cover off to replace the alternator? Also had a quick chat with the guy from the garage who replaced the alternator - he's a bit clueless but didn't think it could be anything to do with the job he's done.

Any thoughts on what to do next? Unfortunately the car's now at my work (25 miles away) and I'm having to use the T4 van which is leaking fuel, so unless or until I can get the car home it's not easy to work on!

Thanks for help so far though had a sleepless night last night!

Gav

0 0 0

4. Re: alternator/oil warning/limp mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Might be worth getting a fault scan and clearing the codes..
    A4 2.5 tdi QS (mapped)

0 0 0

5. Re: alternator/oil warning/limp mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Kite - local garage don't have the software unfortunately, though I'm increasingly thinking of investing myself.

Anything easy to check in the meantime? How to know whether it's OK to drive home?

Thanks for swift response

Gav

0 0 0

6. Re: alternator/oil warning/limp mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Have a look for hoses that go nowhere.....
    i wouldn't like to say its safe to drive, your oil light is now off.
    if you have low oil pressure you will get a warning light.
    Have a look in the vagcom section to see if there is a member in your area
    A4 2.5 tdi QS (mapped)

0 0 0

7. Re: alternator/oil warning/limp mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Was it low oil level or low oil pressure (yellow or red)? Didn't the huge "STOP" that appears in the MDF show?

0 0 0

8. Re: alternator/oil warning/limp mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi

I think it was yellow? There was no STOP or other check engine message at all in the display

Took it to another garage today, they said the fault code said it was the MAF (though couldn't tell me the actual code itself?!). I've had that with the T4 van we have, but then there was lots of black smoke pouring out the back all the time - this looks normal from behind, no smoke at all. I'll try hunting down the MAF and disconnecting it, hopefully there will be no difference and that will be the problem

Gav

0 0 0

9. Re: alternator/oil warning/limp mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi again

Disconnected the mAF and no change so will try replacing that.

Really numpty question I know, but what tools do I need to remove the screws and hose? Are the screws torx? Never come across them before. And there's no screw on the hose clip to loosen?

Sorry, must look like a right idiot

Gav

0 0 0

10. Re: alternator/oil warning/limp mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    The hose clip will have to be cut off and replaced with a jubilee clip.
    are the screws security torx, with a central pillar in the screw to stop you getting a a driver in ?
    A4 2.5 tdi QS (mapped)

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast