Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All,

just joined this forum and i wondered if anyone woudl be able to answer a query for me.

Does the VW Golf have a heated Fro0nt Windscreen (Like the one on the Ford Focus)? I currently have a Ford Focus and i'm considering switching to the VW Golf but i really like the heated Front Windscreen that my Focus has and I don't see it clearly listed on any of the VW Gof specs but i woudl have thought that a car that is so well built woudl surely have this feature. I see it mentiones the option Winter pack and says headed Windscreen Washer jets, which is great as last year mine frooze up and hadn't noticed untill I was driving alogn a motorway and after a while when all the dirt built up and then the sun came out and i coudlnt' see anything.. not ideal.

Anyway, many thanks if someone can confirm this.

In case it matters, i'm currently looking at 2 models... the VW Golf SE 1.6 TDI or the VW Golf Blue Motion 1.6 TDI.

i noticed the GTD has some nice extra features but it doesn't come with a 1.6TDI engine and i'm keen to keep my runnig costs down and the Road tax down as well.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks
    Kevin

0 0 0

2. Re: VW Golf Spec Query 
    Steve_D Guest
    Hi Kevin
    No, a heated front screen is not availible on the Golf. I too am swapping from a TDCI Titanium Focus and I'll just have to get used to living without it. I think many cars don't have the HFS as Ford have the patent on it and only let it be used on other cars for a large fee!

I still prefer a Golf GT140 to my Focus though. (When I eventually get it).

0 0 0

3. Re: VW Golf Spec Query 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That's right. The reason it doesn't appear on non-Ford group models is due to the patent. Jaguar and Land Rover offered a heated windscreen when they were part of the Ford empire (and may still do, I am unsure). Volvo rejected it on the grounds of safety because of the potential distraction caused in certain light conditions by the heating elements.

0 0 0

4. Re: VW Golf Spec Query 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptolemy View Post
    That's right. The reason it doesn't appear on non-Ford group models is due to the patent. Jaguar and Land Rover offered a heated windscreen when they were part of the Ford empire (and may still do, I am unsure). Volvo rejected it on the grounds of safety because of the potential distraction caused in certain light conditions by the heating elements.
    It's an option on the Passat for £105, along with heated washer jets. Check out the VW UK website. However, that doesn't explain why you can't get it on a Golf, as VW obviously have the technology available.

0 0 0

5. Re: VW Golf Spec Query 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The heated jets are indeed part of the winter pack.

I'd consider the Bluemotion SE TBH as it seems as well specd as the SE but with better economy due to the gearing - not to mention better tax, although I'd be interested to see how that'll work when the government revise the tax bands to capture the low output cars..
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDi SE: Misano red, Kinetic 17s, Comfort package, Storage package, non smoking package, Nav, Upgrade to Audi sound system, Debadged
    Previous: VW Golf Mk6, 2009, 2.0 TDi GT, Candy White, Luxury pack, 18" Bilbaos, Tyre Pressure Monitor - VW Passat B6, 2005, 2.0 TDi SE, Metallic Navy Blue, Front/rear sensors, chrome grille, black leather

0 0 0

6. Re: VW Golf Spec Query 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

Thanks all for your replies.

I see, so Fords have the patent... typical.....

Interesting to see it is on the passatt and not the other models, very odd, so this shoudl imply VW have paid fords to use the heated windscreen.

yes, i was lookign atthe Bluemotion urely form economy point of view, it has the technology whic whne you sitting at lights/traffic jam, you press the clutch, put it in nutral and lift the clutch and it cuts the engine out, then when you want to move off you press the clutch and select teh gear and the engine comes back on, this assists witht he 68.9 mpg as well as having a visual display on the dash telling you when to change gear... My only concern is, how reliable is this start/stop technology, i can see after 3 or 4 years, you stop, do the clutch business and then when you want to go, engine don't start lol.. how annoying would that be.

Also, i hear VW Golfs have issues with there electric windows at least on the older box type model.. is this still the case with the newer shape golfs or is it too early to tell atm?

Thanks guys!

Kevin

0 0 0

7. Re: VW Golf Spec Query 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Volkswagen were using stop /start technology in the early eighties on the 'formel e' model Golf, Polo, Jetta long before the latest trend. If anyone has this technology sorted it should be VW....
    I have a car with stop / start (not a VW at the moment I'm afraid) and it seems to work well. The only problem with mine is that you need to keep your foot on the brake pedal whilst stoppped which I am not willing to do at night. The VW system might work on the handbrake aswell, maybe someone can confirm this.

0 0 0

8. Re: VW Golf Spec Query 
    Steve_D Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnloaderuk View Post
    It's an option on the Passat for £105, along with heated washer jets. Check out the VW UK website. However, that doesn't explain why you can't get it on a Golf, as VW obviously have the technology available.
    Only on the R36 model @ £140 extra - and that model starts at £32K+

0 0 0

9. Re: VW Golf Spec Query 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi all,

ah really? since the 80's... wow.. i thought it was relatively new..... well hopefulyl vw have it all sorted then.

wow... heated screen for £140 but onyl when you spend 32k..... hmmm somethign tells me that if you had 32k to spend on a car, you wouldn't be lookig at a golf.... you be on to BMW/Audi/Porsche's or perhaps 4x4's......

I'm stretchign myself to afford the golf Bluemotion or SE model.... I don't liek getting cars which high mileage on them i prefer to by them newly new with maybe 20 miles on the click or there abouts... onse which were registered but basicalyl never left the show room, can get some good deals on those, i did when i got my current Ford Focus, first car i've been able to buy that is almost brand new so woudl liek to remain at this level for now.... but i'm expecting to only get maybe get 4 - 5k back for my car when i sell it, possibly sometimes next year and i'm not expecting to get the golf for much less than around 14k but i may be wrong, so that means having to morrow the difference so i'll be stretched for a while but i thin it might be worth it.

I've currently only ever had Ford cars.. started off with Fiestas (3 of those), then got the Focus i have now and i think its time to change, simply beucase Ford servicing seems to be a bit pricey, they keep it half reasonably for 2 years then when it goes in for its 3 year service - its like happy days.. they then find all sorts wrong with it... and end sup costing a fortune.... and each suspequent year it is alwasy quiet high... maybe services fees have gone up generally but i've just had enough now... i mean last 2 Fiestas i had, were costing me aroudn 300 - 400 quid for servicing each year and i was only doing 8k miles per year. Curreny focus was ok for first 2 years, last year it was around £800.... thsi included 3 new types @ £100 each... and brakes soyou coudl say ok, woudl have probably cost me 3-400 again without the tyres and brakes but again car had only done aroudn 8k miles... so i'm hoping next year service is better but depending on this will help me decide exactly when to change it... i don't mind occasional high serivce bill if its warranted but to keep on gettig them and you look at whats being doen and think.. whats it all for

I'm not sure what VW serviceing costs are but Fords now are aroudn i thik £175ish for standard service and "250 for major serice and thats without them doign anything, when they find stuff, its extra. i have taken out a 4 year service plan with fords whcih masically means i pay for it monthly and i'm locked into the service plan price at the time i took it out so if it goes up, doesn't affect me. Also, if i chage the car, i can change it over to that car and get the remainder of the years for that car or if i change makes, they will give me back my money less a £25 admin charge which i thought was reasonable. Does any one know the roough serive charges by VW and then what it typically actualyly costs? Do they clean the car/valet it as well or not? Fords occasionalyl wash it but thats all, don't touch interior.

Kevin

0 0 0

10. Re: VW Golf Spec Query 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Vw are currently offering 3 years servicing for £250

0 0 0