Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey,

i have finally decided to get my rear axle bushes done, and the mechanic is charging me £200.

Hes also asking me whether i want to stay with VW bushes, or if i want to get some uprated ones.

Im thinking, if bushes are cheap, why not just go with some uprated ones?

The part i need help with is - which ones should i go for?

I would appreciate any feedback from people who have any knowledge about this subject!

Thanks!!

MKPP786
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,
    Ive just done the rear bushes on my car a couple of weeks ago I have put in the uprated powerflex ones, delivery takes a while on these as they apparently are made to order they are also a bit of a rip off if you buy them as individuals. I bought a fill mkiv kit which included the front and rear front wishbone mounts ,anti roll bar mounts,antiroll bar link bushes, steering rack mount, engine/gearbox dogbone mount and the rear beam bushes I actually bought the kit for the Seat Leon as it was £8 cheaper and its all the same parts bizzare? anyway the price for the whole kit was £160 delivered from larkspeed on Ebay and it took 2 weeks for delivery you need to specify your anti roll bar bush size just measure your roll bar with a micrometer or vernier it will be 21 or 23mm.
    Hope this is of some help
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi mate

Be careful before you fit uprated bushes. I fitted Pweorflex ones to my old Bora V5 and if I ran over a coin I could tell whether it was heads or tails!

The uprated bushes certainly give a more positive feel, but they can make the ride harsh and transmit a lot of noise.

HTH
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Good topic mate. I am after EXACTLY the same advice, and will soon be coming to fix my rear axle bushes aswell (after I return from a 2wk holiday abroad). So are Powerflex bushes good? I've understood that the bushes are cheap, but the labour is expensive as its a case of pulling all the stuff out. Was wondering whether there is anything else worth replacing (just for the sake of peace of mind), as if the mechanic has opened everything to get to the rear axle bushes (whilst charging me labour hours), why don't I just get something else likely to go soon replaced whilst he's at it (i.e. wishbones, or whatever its called IF they're at the back). Please excuse my lack of mechanical knowledge on this subject, but hope I've made my point clear.
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi ,on the rear theres not really much else you can change if youre getting the front done there is bottom ball joints, track rod ends and wheelbearings I would definately check these while its apart and change them if they appear worn.
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all

I agree with stevef, there's little else to change on the rear apart from the bushes. In most cases, replacement involves removal of the rear axle beam so that the bushes can be accessed and replaced

Powerflex bushes (usually bright yellow and made from plastic rather than rubber) are relatively cheap, but they tend to be much less compliant than rubber so whilst they offer better location, their firmness means that more road noise is often transmitted into the car and the ride can be harsher as a result. Upshot is that the car might handle slightly better.

Downside is, if you don't like them, you'll have to pay for the whole job to be done again! Also, I've heard that their firmness can occasionaly mean that they wear faster.

I believe that they were designed originally for motorsport applications, but have found themselves moved to a fast road environment. I tried repalcing the dogbone engine mount bushes with these and they were replaced with OE after, er, 10 minutes use!

HTH

Paul
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey everyone, thanks alot for the advice.

reading these post, im getting the feeling that i should just stick with bushes brought from VW!

i do appreciate the adice you have given. Any more would be appreciated!
    0 0 0