Notices

User Tag List

Thread: I have to compromise: 1.9 Quattro or 2.5 non-Quattro - What would you choose?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. I have to compromise: 1.9 Quattro or 2.5 non-Quattro - What would you choose? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Hi,

I've only got about £5,500 to spend on an A4 Avant. I'm not afraid of high-mileage examples providing there's a full service history & the Cam belt (water pump, lifters etc) have been done on time.

I would ideally like a 2.5 Quattro, but as there don't seem to be many in my price range, I've decided my choices are:

1.9 TDI Quattro -OR- 2.5 TDI non Quattro

Please give me your 2p's worth: what would you choose and why?

I've previously owned a 2.5 and the reason I'm considering one, despite the lower mpg, is it's a smoother & stronger engine, being a V6.

Cheers
    Al.
    [ My Cars: 2011 Caravelle SE TDI (140) LWB | 2015 L200 Barbarian 2.4 DI-D | 2015 Mini Cooper SD ]
    [ Past Audis:
    A6 S-Line 3.0
    V6 TDI Qttr | A4 3.0 TDI Qttr S-Line | S6 4.2 Qttr | A4 2.5 V6 TDI Qttr Sport | A4 1.9 TDI Qttr S-Line | A4 SE 2.0 TFSI Quattro Avant | 2.0 TFSI Roadster ]
    [ Past VWs: Mk1 GTI Cab | Mk3 2.0 Cab |
    Mk3 VR6 | Mk4 R32 | Mk4 V6 MoFo | Mk4 Golf 1.9 TDI| Mk4 Supercharged 2.0 6-speed | VW Touran 2.0 TDI DSG ]

0 0 0

2. Re: I have to compromise: 1.9 Quattro or 2.5 non-Quattro - What would you choose? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Why the obsession with Quattro? You dont need it in a low power TDi

With only 5.5k to spend money is at a premium I guess? So buy a 1.9 non-Q and save even more money. The 2.5 can be quite troublesome as mileage increases.

0 0 0

3. Re: I have to compromise: 1.9 Quattro or 2.5 non-Quattro - What would you choose? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    I have a 2004 B6 1.9 tdi Quattro Avant 130 bhp and its great performance is spot on and average 42 mpg if you can find one for £5000 BUY IT AS THERE RARE fantastic in the wet and better then the 2 wheel drive by a mile .I will never go back to 2 wheel drive again that's how much i love mine.I have 92,000 on the clock and due to replace her soon but i wouldn't be selling at those prices it would be £7000 look for the B6 1.8T avant quattro as well these can be real bargains but again scarce I recently acquired one for a friend very close to your budget.Go to the auctions and find out where your local Audi dealers send there trade in stock Brighouse is a good bet

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/A4-Avant-1-9-T...d=p3286.c0.m14
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs

0 0 0

4. Re: I have to compromise: 1.9 Quattro or 2.5 non-Quattro - What would you choose? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    quattro is well worth it in my opinion, it's something I always wanted and I enjoy the extra grip it gives me in the corner and especially in the wet. It was great in the snow - we had untreated rounds around here for days and I was able to travel with relative confidence compared to the 2WD others who ended up skidding backwards down an icy hill - I just drove confidently and smugly around. I can honestly say I wouldn't swap the quattro. I enjoy my car and when I eventually change it, I'll probably stay with Audi and it will be quattro again. I wouldn't go back to 2WD!

Just my opinion mind.

0 0 0

5. Re: I have to compromise: 1.9 Quattro or 2.5 non-Quattro - What would you choose? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a8 tech View Post
    fantastic in the wet and better then the 2 wheel drive by a mile .I will never go back to 2 wheel drive again that's how much i love mine.
    Cheers for your replies.

The quote above pretty much sums up how I feel about Quattro too

It's not about struggling to get the power down, as you rightly point out IH; there isn't much power to put down - it's about surefootedness! You can pull out of a junction KNOWING that you'll never be left scrabbling for grip with your bonnet half way across the road!

The B6 / B7 A4 doesn't have the best handling chassis in the first place and I can only imagine the avant is going to be even more tail-happy than the saloon on wet roundabouts!

Cheers for your opinions.. think I'm gonna go for a 1.9 Quattro - will miss the V6 smoothness but I guess it's a goal to work towards!

Cheers
    Al.
    [ My Cars: 2011 Caravelle SE TDI (140) LWB | 2015 L200 Barbarian 2.4 DI-D | 2015 Mini Cooper SD ]
    [ Past Audis:
    A6 S-Line 3.0
    V6 TDI Qttr | A4 3.0 TDI Qttr S-Line | S6 4.2 Qttr | A4 2.5 V6 TDI Qttr Sport | A4 1.9 TDI Qttr S-Line | A4 SE 2.0 TFSI Quattro Avant | 2.0 TFSI Roadster ]
    Mk3 VR6 | Mk4 R32 | Mk4 V6 MoFo | Mk4 Golf 1.9 TDI| Mk4 Supercharged 2.0 6-speed | VW Touran 2.0 TDI DSG ]

0 0 0

6. Re: I have to compromise: 1.9 Quattro or 2.5 non-Quattro - What would you choose? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    quattro every time - and I prefer the 1.9 to the 2.5 too.

0 0 0

7. Re: I have to compromise: 1.9 Quattro or 2.5 non-Quattro - What would you choose? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shark_90 View Post
    I prefer the 1.9 to the 2.5 too.
    How come? lighter engine block, better handling etc?
    [ Past Audis:
    A6 S-Line 3.0

0 0 0

8. Re: I have to compromise: 1.9 Quattro or 2.5 non-Quattro - What would you choose? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Unfortunately neither are particularly good handlers, but I love the lazy torque of the 1.9 where the 2.5 has to be driven in my experience, which makes it (even) worse on juice.

Unfortunately, coming from a 3.0TDi you're going to be upset whatever you do as the 3.0 is a different animal.

The 1.9 does bog down a little with quattro though, even with a map on it. And if you do have a map, be careful with torque spikes - the wheels won't spin and the only other place that can take the strain is the clutch.

0 0 0

9. Re: I have to compromise: 1.9 Quattro or 2.5 non-Quattro - What would you choose? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    I came from a 2003 octy vrs estate and at first found the power drop a bit concerning but simply changed the fuelling in adaptation channels and reduced egr for improved throttle response as i am to tight to remap and my boy racer days are behind me lol.Changed the wheels to sline 18 inch but kept the standard suspension due to the amount of speed bumps in my area.Ride quality is superb recently covered 1500 miles on a trip to France and just loved it as i said i miss my vrs but this car has been a pleasure as I said average 42 mpg 480 to 520miles to the tank cost to fill £55 to £60
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs

0 0 0

10. Re: I have to compromise: 1.9 Quattro or 2.5 non-Quattro - What would you choose? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    a8 tech - Can you point me to the procedure for reducing the egr as I can't find it anywhere!

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast