Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

I am new to the forum so please forgive any mistakes. I have an 04 mk5 golf gttdi. Can anyone tell me how to remove the interior light unit to replace the switch as mine appears to be faulty. The light rarely comes on when the door is opened but will light when I rock the switch in the central position. It would seem to have a bad connection or is a faulty switch.

0 0 0

2. Question Re: Interior Light and switch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did you work out how to remove trim, I seem to have a faulty switch and it is not obvious how to remove trim

1 0 0

3. Re: Interior Light and switch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for your interest. I have not had any replies or worked out how to remove the light. Does your interior light only work intermittently? If I do find out I'll let you know. Perhaps you could do the same for me.

0 0 0

4. Re: Interior Light and switch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    if its the same as the Mk4 Golf and Audi A4, the plastic clear light lens comes off and under there, theres 2 torx screws to undo..

Rick

0 0 0

5. Re: Interior Light and switch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I don' think it is the same as the mk4 golf. Nobody has said how to take the light cover off to get at the switch. If they do i will post it.

0 0 0

6. Re: Interior Light and switch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know the part with the perforated sections in will prise off for access. I think you might find a bigger problem than just the switch though. MK5 Golfs work on a can bus system (similar to usb) not like old cars where every switch was a positive and a body earth. Good luck!

0 0 0

7. Re: Interior Light and switch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi

I had this problem when I bought my Mk5, seems light a common problem, does the switch feel 'rough' to operate almost rusty?

If so, as said previously unclip the perforated panel, undo torx screws, remove the rest of the panelling.
    When you get to the point you can see the board you will find that you can remove it with the switch in place.

The switch is supported on a plastic bridge, Check that the two copper legs are making contact with the edges of the board, if not (and i suspect they aren't) gently prise the switch off the support.

Use a pair of needle nose pliers to gently bend the legs back outwards, then with the switch separated with the board use a fine abrasive paper to CAREFULLY clean the contacts on the board and the switch legs.

Push the switch back in and you should just be able to connect the power back to the board as it is loose to test, if not make adjustments to the switch legs and check continuity with a DVM.

As said previously the car does work on a can bus system but this shouldn't have any effect on the switch.

Sorry if this is a little sketchy, I did this quite a while ago.

Let me know if you need any help, it sounds complicated but is pretty straight forward.

0 1 0

8. Re: Interior Light and switch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danGT View Post
    Hi

I had this problem when I bought my Mk5, seems light a common problem, does the switch feel 'rough' to operate almost rusty?

cheers danGT,
    I had exact same problem...exactly the same !

followed your instructions and job took me 20 mins although very tricky/fiddly.
    now everything works as it should.

Cheers Mike

0 0 0

9. Re: Interior Light and switch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've got this prob as well. With my car, the light will come on when you unlock the car with the remote key fob and goes off when you put the key in as it should.

It won't operate just by opening the doors - if the car was unlocked say - I kind of assumed that it was the switch on the door but it wont go on with any door being opened.

My switch feels "rusty" or scratchy as well.

0 0 0

10. Re: Interior Light and switch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mike GT, even after all this time, those instructions are spot on. Cheers in 2015!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast