Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 99 Audi A4 Quattro, Misfire Cyl 3, Help!?!

1. Question 99 Audi A4 Quattro, Misfire Cyl 3, Help!?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi everybody, this is my first post. Here's my problem:

- Have a 99 Audi A4 Quattro w/ a 1.8L Turbo. Just recently the car suddenly started to shake at stop lights, the Check Engine light started flashing and flashes continuosly until it's shut off. A friend of mine let me use his shop tools to try and figure out what's going on, unfortunately, he doesn't do VW/Audi so no specific tools were available. The engine code pulled via OBD II was P0303 Misfire Cylinder 3. To try and isolate the problem we went ahead and rotated the ignition coils (to see if it was just a bad coil), nothing changed, stil misfiring cyl 3. We checked the injectors, injector for cylinder #3 was covered in grease and grime while all other injectors. We went ahead and moved cylinder 3 injector to 1 and retested. No change, still misfire cylinder 3 with a flashing MIL. One of the technicians stated he had heard of faulty CAM sensors on some VW 1.8l's so we figured what the hell. Replaced CAM sensor and no change. We're kind of stuck in terms of what to do. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Wil
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The earlier turbos have a Ignition Control Module mounted on the air filter box for cooling purposes.
    It's like a "driver" for the coil packs.

Here's the test:
    1) Put the minus(-) probe on pin 3 of the 5 pin side.
    2) Check continuity to pins 1, 2, 4, & 5 on the same side. If any are open, that's bad.
    3) Now put the plus(+) probe on pin 3 of the 5 pin side.
    4) Check continuity to pins 1, 2, 3, & 4 on the other side. If any are open, that's bad.
    Passat Estate 2002 PD130
    Passat 1.8SE 1998
    0 0 0

3. Talking It's Alive! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We went ahead and pulled the "module" and tested it for continuity. Pin 3 (i'd assume for coil 3) had no continuity after testing as described. Went ahead and replaced the module and it is running great.

Thanks alot for the help.

-Wil
    0 0 0

4. Re: It's Alive! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,
    How did you pull this module? Where is it located and is it easy to get to? Do you have a guess as to what the module costs? Thank you
    0 0 0

5. Re: It's Alive! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Hi there, i had a similar problem on my 1.8 T a couple of years ago, not firing on no 3 cylinder, i too remembered a coil issue with the audi engines and i also swapped the coils around but still problem with no3. I spent 2 days with a multi meter checking all i could, eventually gave up and took it to AUTOTECHNICS, they diagnosed the ignition module pretty quickly, the price of this small bit of plastic was a staggering £160 FROM AUDI!! They did tell me it was the first one they had changed, so not too common a problem.Anyway been fine since. Its mounted ontop of the air housing under a plastic clip on cover. Its held in place with 2 screws, i believe there is a special heat sink material insulating it from too much heat.
    0 0 0

6. Talking Re: 99 Audi A4 Quattro, Misfire Cyl 3, Help!?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey all, newbie here!
    The module on my A4 Q 1.8 Avant is on top of the air box, has two opposing connectors on either side, says Bosche on it (likely)
    It is grommeted into the air box, so when you remove the screws(2) the heat sick remains in the box. If you replace IMPORTANT - clean surface of heat sink and apply new heat sink compound (grease) before installing new module. I paid $166.00 for it US because I didn't want to wait. But there are many WEB sites that have the Bosch part for about $155.00 us.
    ANYWAY,
    I just went through the same issue, sudden misfires, shaking, and finally would not run.
    I replaced the Ignition control module, now fine but need to scan to check codes and check engine light still on. Hoping all is well!
    0 0 0