Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Help! VW T5 power loss. Turbo, bad fuel?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Help! VW T5 power loss. Turbo, bad fuel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    This is minging. I'm even contributing to the hi-jacking of my own thread!

Paul
    2016 VW Transporter T6 2.0 TDI Highline SWB
    2011 Jaguar XFR 100 5.0 V8 Supercharged

0 0 0

2. Re: Help! VW T5 power loss. Turbo, bad fuel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Update

The van has still yet to play up again, however I tanked it on V-Power the other day and it was notably faster.

Maybe this van is just very sensitive to its fuel?

Paul

0 0 0

3. Re: Help! VW T5 power loss. Turbo, bad fuel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Unfortunately its not fuel related.

The problem is far worse. Now I've got pulsing of the turbo, and I think it's noisier too. Looks like a new turbo is what is needed.

Will get the turbo off soon, and if the vanes have play in them or are mis-shaped then I'll get a turbo. Otherwise I'll try and recondition it.

Paul

0 0 0

4. Re: Help! VW T5 power loss. Turbo, bad fuel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Another turbo fitted, problem remains.

However, the Overboost fault code is now gone, so something seems to have changed.

Looking at N75, EGR valve and MAF.

Symptoms are loss of power, lots of black smoke under load and reduced fuel economy.

I'm gutted now, a night in the cold of Manchester and I'm at square one.

Paul

0 0 0

5. Re: Help! VW T5 power loss. Turbo, bad fuel? 
    Raysimmo Guest
    Hi Paul,I know this was listed sometime ago and I'm new to this forum.Did you find out what caused the problem?Last night while returning home my Transporter (ex ambo) did exactly what your VW did.I have only owned mine for a month and I love it! Until last night drove beautifully and then last night this loss of power.Went down the gears to try and maintain some speed and finally when trying to get up a steep hill near home ground to a halt.After having turned it off and checked everything I could think of I called for roadside assistance.The mechanic (after half an hour turned off)started the van and all power was restored and today feels like the van I know.Any ideas out there? Ray

0 0 0

6. Re: Help! VW T5 power loss. Turbo, bad fuel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Ray,

It sounds just like the problem I had. The cure was to replace the intercooler pipe (looks like a big fat black pipe on the right hand side of the engine bay, looking from the front) which must have been leaking boost. If you have VAG-COM or similar, there may be an overboost code stored, as the turbo is working overtime to compensate for the boost leak.

More specifically it's the metal lugs on the pipe that just wear away, and the pipe works loose.

The pipe cost me about £50 from my VW dealer.

0 0 0

7. Re: Help! VW T5 power loss. Turbo, bad fuel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul b View Post
    Symptoms are loss of power, lots of black smoke under load and reduced fuel economy.
    Hi Paul,

Were there any codes coming up on VAG-COM? Your description above *exactly* matches what happened to my last A6 when the EGR broke. The flap had parted company with the spindle inside the EGR valve, and because the spindle was still moving correctly, no faults were flagged when the car was scanned. Dropping the clutch and pumping the throttle would clear the problem at first (presumably the flap was being moved enough by doing this to allow normal running), but it very quickly got to the point where the car was undrivable. The RAC recovery man had to try several times to get enough power to reverse the car out of a parking space on a flat surface before he could winch it onto his flatbed, and the smoke from the exhausts was astounding!

The Audi dealer it got recovered to replaced the ECU, AMM, Fuel Pump, fuel filter, fuel lines, and removed and cleaned out the fuel tank before they got round to looking at the EGR after two weeks. During this work they "forgot" to enable cruise control function in the new ECU, and introduced three separate fuel leaks. It's obviously not fair to mention the garage concerned, other than to say that their name rhymes with Plough Saudi.

Hope you managed to track the problem down and fix it!

MF.
    Gone: 2016 A6 Saloon BE Ultra S tronic - Floret Silver, Tech Pack Advanced, Parking Pack Advanced, Heated F+R Seats & Wheel, Electric Seats, Matrix LED, Ambient Lighting, Speed Limit Display, Twin Spoke 20", Folding Memory Mirrors
    Now: E 53 AMG 4MATIC
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige

0 0 0

8. Smile Re: Help! VW T5 power loss. Turbo, bad fuel? 
    Raysimmo Guest
    Thanks for the info Paul. I have the T5 booked in for a diagnostic scan tomorrow and it will be interesting to see what the verdict will be.There was no use in taking the mechanic for a demo today as the van is running beautifully! Fortunately I have 3 months warranty with the van and the dealer appears to be happy to pay for the scan and hopefully for anything to rectify the situation. I am having difficulty in navigating my way around this site (as I am very green to the scene) but I will attempt to notify you when I find out! I think the idea of being able to share our trials and tribulations is a good thing!! Thanks again

0 0 0

9. Re: Help! VW T5 power loss. Turbo, bad fuel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MFGF View Post
    Hi Paul,

Were there any codes coming up on VAG-COM? Your description above *exactly* matches what happened to my last A6 when the EGR broke. The flap had parted company with the spindle inside the EGR valve, and because the spindle was still moving correctly, no faults were flagged when the car was scanned. Dropping the clutch and pumping the throttle would clear the problem at first (presumably the flap was being moved enough by doing this to allow normal running), but it very quickly got to the point where the car was undrivable. The RAC recovery man had to try several times to get enough power to reverse the car out of a parking space on a flat surface before he could winch it onto his flatbed, and the smoke from the exhausts was astounding!

The Audi dealer it got recovered to replaced the ECU, AMM, Fuel Pump, fuel filter, fuel lines, and removed and cleaned out the fuel tank before they got round to looking at the EGR after two weeks. During this work they "forgot" to enable cruise control function in the new ECU, and introduced three separate fuel leaks. It's obviously not fair to mention the garage concerned, other than to say that their name rhymes with Plough Saudi.

Hope you managed to track the problem down and fix it!

MF.
    Yup, all sorted long ago now. Just didn't really get round to updating this post I guess.

There was in fact a fault code, an overboost one, describing possible boost leaks which is why I looked in the direction of the turbo and relevant pipes.

Never encountered a problem with an EGR myself on a VAG vehicle yet, no doubt there will be a first time for it one day!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raysimmo View Post
    Thanks for the info Paul. I have the T5 booked in for a diagnostic scan tomorrow and it will be interesting to see what the verdict will be.There was no use in taking the mechanic for a demo today as the van is running beautifully! Fortunately I have 3 months warranty with the van and the dealer appears to be happy to pay for the scan and hopefully for anything to rectify the situation. I am having difficulty in navigating my way around this site (as I am very green to the scene) but I will attempt to notify you when I find out! I think the idea of being able to share our trials and tribulations is a good thing!! Thanks again
    Hope the scan sheds some light Ray. Tip for navigating this site, at first the easiest thing to do is click User CP, there it shows the threads you have posted on and subscribed to.

0 0 0

10. Re: Help! VW T5 power loss. Turbo, bad fuel? 
    Raysimmo Guest
    THanks guys! Just got the diagnosis. The scan apparently indicated a sporadic fault code in " low air pressure required for the turbo" They didn't say there was a leak in any hose but said that a new turbo will be needed. They are now going to approach VW to see what support can be given (it has only got 76,000 ks ) Then they will approach the car sale yard where I purchased it from and see what they are prepared to do as it is under a 3 month warranty. I was told the turbo costs about $2000 in parts alone.What concerned me is that they new the price without looking it up as they had the same issue with a low k T5 last week. The service manager said he has seen turbos replaced at 40,000k and some 200,000K.I would have been more assured had he said he had never come across this before!! I will be informed by this time next week as to what is going to be done.Thanks again

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast