1. Passat B5 - Gearbox oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My Passat has recently passed the 100 000 mile mark & since I am sceptical about the ability of any oil to last for “life” decided it should be changed as is my usual practice.

As some difficulty was experienced in collecting together the correct materials, tools & information prior to commencing this job it was thought the information might be useful to others…

VW Passat B5 (1997 – 2005) - Gearbox Oil Change

Passat 1.9 TDI (130) with 5 Speed Manual Gearbox

Gearbox Type: FHN

Oil Capacity: 2.5 Litres

Gear Oil Specification: 75w/90 Synthetic

VW part number: G O52 911 A2

Drain plug key: M16 tamperproof spline bit (i.e. 16mm with 12 points & hole for security pin)
    (NB Draper tool number 63476 is made for this & has a ˝” drive)

Fill plug key: 17mm Allen key (i.e. hexagon)

Torque wrench setting
    (Drain & Filler plugs): 25Nm

0 0 0

2. Re: Passat B5 - Gearbox oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the information. I too would like to change my oil when (if) it gets to that mileage as I share the same scepticism.

One question and out of general interest - before you changed the oil had you seen any drop in level over time ?

0 0 0

3. Re: Passat B5 - Gearbox oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    are you gonna do it by yourself?
    would be able to get access easyly?

0 0 0

4. Re: Passat B5 - Gearbox oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I will - why ?

0 0 0

5. Re: Passat B5 - Gearbox oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cause i recon it is a bit complicated. I was thinking to change me oil as well actually, but last time when i was to garage they said that the gearbox is sealed manufactory and it is not recommended to do for manual gearboxes. I was surprised to be honest. I know that automatic gearboxes definitely need oil change, but i never thought about manuals. I have 6 speed manual gear box and i have funny noise coming from it when driving. The funny thing is that if it was gearbox itself the noise would be only when the particular gear is engaged, but when i put on neutral it’s still there. Any ideas what it might be? The only thing i am certain it come from gear box.

0 0 0

6. Re: Passat B5 - Gearbox oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I can imagine that they don't want us messing around with their box but I do suspect the lifetime of the oil and the potential for damp ingress over time even from the occasional level checks.

My gearbox knowledge is limited and I have never taken one apart on a car so that my experience is even less
    but:-
    even though you are not driving the mainshaft of the gearbox will still be rotating when the engine is running and the clutch is engaged. Hence it could be a bearing problem along there. Have you tried listening with the cutch disengaged and long enough for the mainshaft to stop ?
    If the noise is still there in that case then I would start to look further toward the engine.
    Do you notice any difficulty or difference in engaging gear ? might be due to play/slack from the bearing as the tolerances on modern gearboxes are very low.
    I used the quieten the box on my old austin with molyslip - at least for a while. But it was no cure and I would not know how advisable it would be in a modern box.
    Hope that helps and good luck

0 0 0

7. Re: Passat B5 - Gearbox oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi.
    I will try to listen to it again with disengaged clutch. The noise comes only after30-35mph. The gears shift smoothly. The only solution for now was radio . When it’s on i can’t hear the noise
    Thanx for advise.

0 0 0

8. Re: Passat B5 - Gearbox oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If it is related to road speed rather than engine it could be drive shaft or layshaft.
    No clunks when you ease off and then re-apply the throttle ?
    If its at speed how are you sure that it is actually the gearbox ?

0 0 0

9. Re: Passat B5 - Gearbox oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nazjazz View Post
    Hi.
    I will try to listen to it again with disengaged clutch. The noise comes only after30-35mph. The gears shift smoothly. The only solution for now was radio . When it’s on i can’t hear the noise
    Thanx for advise.
    Did you ever get this fixed?. My 6 speed gearbox is exactly the same.
    cheers
    Paul

0 0 0

10. Re: Passat B5 - Gearbox oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    if your car has done 60,000 miles then get the oil changed , its easier than you think to do. VW updated the specs for oil for the 6 speed box.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast