Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi guys,

I have been browsing the web and the forum here trying to get as much info as I can. Please also bear in mind that I am new to all this!

I have a Y reg Passat, done approx 160k miles!

As with many other people, suddenly one day after hitting about 60mph, my turbo stopped working. So now it works fine up till around 3k revs, then you can feel it cut back. So the max I seem to get is 50 when it seems to stop. What I have done is:

1) I changed the air filter and oil/fuel filter on the car. - no difference
    2) I thought it might be the MAF sensor, so I unplugged it. From 0 - 3k revs, it seems to be worse. But from 50mph/3k revs + it seems to be the same as it was when the MAF sensor was plugged in.
    3) I tried checking the pipes that I could, and I found that one of the rubber hoses, attached to the turbo ( Z shaped ) has holes in it. So i replaced this but I still have the same issue.

4) My friend has some kind of VAG com software, so before I switch on the engine I get the codes 18062 & 17965. I believe the later code, points towards the pipes, N75 or sticky turbo.

I have been told that it could be a faulty MAF sensor, however as it doesn't appear on VAG-com, I am reluctant to change it. Mind you it hasnt developed a fault for over 3 years now. The car has not been modded in any way either.

I did take it down to my local garage, who said they fitted it to their computer. However they could see the problem, however they couldnt actually fix it. So they referred me to a VW dealer. However I currently don't feel like donating my arm & leg to fund that cost at this moment of time.

Any suggestion guys ?

0 0 0

2. Re: Limp Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what did the garage say it was?
    first time i was up a ladder i was down a well
    4th cog,--two to go

0 0 0

3. Re: Limp Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi

I replaced my MAF after reading the threads on the forum and got my old car back, but your symptoms do not sound like mine which were caused by the MAF. My car (also a Y 2001 with 112,000) seemed to lose power throughout the rev range. In the early stages,I could switch off the engine and it seemed to re-set itself, this eventually made no difference and necessitated replacement. I have seen loads of threads which state that a faulty MAF may not even display fault codes. Perhaps a search on the MAF will throw up some more ideas - perhaps different MAF faults give different symptoms? Could you loan a MAF to try out? Sorry I can't be more specific. Best of luck!

0 0 0

4. Re: Limp Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You need to log the outputs (turbo and MAF)
    to see what the problem is and go from there.
    This should give a proper direction lack of Boost or overboost will cause limp mode or lack of power.
    17965 is overboost (I think) and would point to sticking turbo vanes or N75 at a guess I would go for Turbo vanes.
    Should do more test's and check actuator for ease of movement/seizure.

0 0 0

5. Re: Limp Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hey guys,

It took me so long to finally get round to solving this. ended up buying a new MAF sensor, which didn't really resolve the issue. We ended up changing the MAP sensor though and that resolved the issue, the car was buzzing again.

The mechanic replaced it with a Skoda part though. My issue now though is that it worked fine for that day. But the next day the same problem happened. Then sometimes it works fine, but then same issue.

Do you guys knowif the Skoda MAP sensor actually fits the VW passat. The Part numbers are very similar, but not the exact same.

The passat part number is 038 906 051

The Skoda part number is 036 906 051

I belive so anyways...

0 0 0

6. Re: Limp Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Your fault will not be resolved by MAf or MAp as already stated.
    You need to try N75 valve first-failing that the turbo will need cleaning.

Mike

0 0 0

7. Re: Limp Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi, i had that problem on mine too and i changed the wiring loom. that seemed to have fixed the problem and the cars been fine since
    hope this helps

0 0 0

8. Re: Limp Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    What wiring loom did you replace.If it was the injector loom which sits inside the head this more usually gives a misfire than an overboost fault-cannot undersatnd how that loom would cause boost problem?
    Mike

0 0 0

9. Re: Limp Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mine came up with an injector 1 fault i think and i replaced the wiring loom, dnt know which one but i went to the dealership and asked for a wiring loom kit and asked the mechanic to fit it and no problems so far.

i dont actually know what was changed but it was the wiring loom...

0 0 0