1. Spinning Shroud on locking wheel nut 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi - My locking wheel nut key/socket broke whilst trying to undo an over tightened nut. I've removed locking wheel nuts in the past with sockets but... these ones have rotating shrouds on them. (VW Sport Rader)

Can any one advise me on how to remove them.

Any help would be much appreciated - - Cheers guys!

(I'm not a mechanic or anything, so dont have things like mig welders.. local tyre bay suggested fusing the shroud and nut together... but easier said than done)

0 0 0

2. Re: Spinning Shroud on locking wheel nut 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Start with a small drill bit in the centre, and work ya way up to around 10mm, then as you get further in, you'l end up drilling the threaded bit out, worst that will happen is that you may slightly damage the thread on the hub but its nothing a carefully inserted new wheel nut cant repair i bought a 106 xsi with no locking wheel nut keys and needed 2 new tyres, so spent around 4 hours very slowly drillin it, try to get the centre if you can, if you press too hard, you'l blunt the drill..

HTH

0 0 0

3. Re: Spinning Shroud on locking wheel nut 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HGTTDI View Post
    Hi - My locking wheel nut key/socket broke whilst trying to undo an over tightened nut. I've removed locking wheel nuts in the past with sockets but... these ones have rotating shrouds on them. (VW Sport Rader)

(I'm not a mechanic or anything, so dont have things like mig welders.. local tyre bay suggested fusing the shroud and nut together... but easier said than done)
    How tough is the shroud? I'd be tempted to try and seperate it from the nut with a cold chisel and a hammer the hammer an old socket over the inner piece and voila
    You may think I'm being helpful yet sarcastic, this is only because I feel I need to help you to help yourself in the future

0 0 0

4. Re: Spinning Shroud on locking wheel nut 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you still have the key code that came with the wheel nuts, your local VW dealer may be able to order a replacement key.

0 0 0

5. Thumbs up Re: Spinning Shroud on locking wheel nut 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for the advice guys - I tried the chisel method, but them is some tough nuts...

I called Main Dealer in Stockport this morning. Parts bloke there (Genuinley very helpful fella... Dave) pretty much said he was certain that one of the masters he had there would get it off. I asked what he was gonna charge and he said he would just do it for me, but recommended I buy another set of wheel nuts from them.

Anyways... takes the car down there and Dave pulls out a plastic suitcase with 20 different patterned keys/sockets. Guess what... Not one of them fit.

The radius of my bolts are to wide to fit in any of the sockets/keys.

I left the broken key and a locking nut with him as he said he would make enquiries for me (still with no charge). He phoned me back later to say he'd been in touch with the manufacturer and they would send him a replacement key free of charge... again I asked how much will it cost me for his efforts but agin no charge.

The key will take a couple of days to arrive, so I'll let you guys know what happens.

But what a top bloke at VW... He's actually gone out of his way to help me.

0 0 0

6. Re: Spinning Shroud on locking wheel nut 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    We could do with a few more Stockport VW Dave's.

It's funny, I used a Dave at the VW Commercials dealership in Manchester, and he was very helpful, providing me with discount because he felt sorry for me at the amount of money I was spending there for genuine parts ! I thought he was a top guy...

Paul
    2016 VW Transporter T6 2.0 TDI Highline SWB
    2011 Jaguar XFR 100 5.0 V8 Supercharged

0 0 0

7. Re: Spinning Shroud on locking wheel nut 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I used to find that the 'hammering on a strong socket' method worked equally well, even on bolts with a rotating collar.

This is my preferred technique where there is enough space between the bolt and alloy.

0 0 0

8. Re: Spinning Shroud on locking wheel nut 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Ok, so got the new key/socket.. it cost a tenner in the end.
    Got it home put it on the wheel nut... coulpe of tugs on the wrench... and bang! New key ******* and one friggin wheel nut jammed in the hub.

Chisel wont touch the rotating collar. Spent a couple of hours drilling and getting no-where. My wheels in a right mess now.

Ive phoned a garage and explained the situation to them, but they dont sound very confident about removing it.
    Boll*x

0 0 0

9. Re: Spinning Shroud on locking wheel nut 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just had the same problem, I had to get a nut mig welded to the existing nut then remove them in the normal way. It took the workshop literally three miniutes to weld and remove.

Chris

0 0 0

10. Re: Spinning Shroud on locking wheel nut 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctucker5145 View Post
    I just had the same problem, I had to get a nut mig welded to the existing nut then remove them in the normal way. It took the workshop literally three miniutes to weld and remove.

Chris
    That would have been my suggestion if I'd seen the OP last year.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a Light Side and a Dark Side and it holds the universe together.
    2002 Passat 1.9tdi
    2004 A3 2.0 FSI
    Gone: 1997 Golf GTI ; 1989 Coupe; 2000 A6 Avant 2.4; 2000 A3 1.8

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast