1. Fan Keeps Spinning When Engine Is Off!!! AUDI A3 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey I have an Audi A3 2003 new shape and I have an issue with the inner bonnets fans behind the grill.

Its a situation which is pissin me off as the fans keep spinning when I turn my ignition off after a few mins off it cooling the engine.

I took it into a garage for diagnostics and they are saying that it could either be
    1.Wet fuse board in bonnet
    2 Fault with Fan unit at the front which may need a new one 280"Pounds" or more!!!

They are saying they can by pass the Audi ECU unit and go bout the old fashion way to save me costs but I like my audi to think via the fuse board computer unit.

Any one had this problem?! Is it something thats simple to get resolved like a new fuse for the fuse board or just a quick tweak.

Now it results in me in having to disconnect my battery temporarily as I have to contemplate if I wanna trust this Garage to get this by pass thing done.

Any advice guys - I am based in Birmingham UK
    0 0 0

2. Re: Fan Keeps Spinning When Engine Is Off!!! AUDI A3 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello mate.
    I have a 2004 A3 and you will see if you can find my earlier request for help back in March. Basically I had the same problem which developed from a minor irritation to a full on breakdown.
    The larger fan on the insode of the engine bay would come and and I had to use my 10mm spanner to disconnect the battery. I called the RAC and they disconnect the batt and used a long screwdriver between the batt terminals to release any charge that may be held on the ecu. This did not work. I took it to Audi (out of warranty) and they plugged it in telling me they had cancelled a few faults but it needed to come in for repair. I was told it was going to be the fan unit control that is fitted on the back of the cooling fan. The only was to fix this is to replace the unit and Audi wanted £280 just for the fan.
    Anyway in disgust I left my car on the drive with the battery disconnect and it has resolved itself. I have had 4 months of trouble free motoring and having discussed the problem with a very experienced and reliable mechanic he said water may have got into a multi plug at the front of the engine causing a short.
    Hope this helps.
    0 0 0

3. Re: Fan Keeps Spinning When Engine Is Off!!! AUDI A3 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I forgot to say that the fuse for the fan is under the battery terminal ( so audi say) and you can disconnect all fuses in the car and the fan will still run.
    Cheers
    0 0 0

4. Re: Fan Keeps Spinning When Engine Is Off!!! AUDI A3 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi did you disconnect the battery fully on both sides? What was the duration of leaving your Car off disconnected?

Thanks for dat. But I have disconnected my battery over night for a few days now, so that the fan wont kill my battery. However as soon as I put dat bad boy on again the fan starts.

But I must admit that when disconnecting the battery I only unscrew one side nearer to me and not the back one which kills the fan.

Did you disconnect both sides? How many days did you leave it off for?
    There was one occasion when I brought my audi into a 3rd party garage and he pulled out a fuse blade on the fuse box, corresponding to the radiator code No on the fuse box.

However dat cut the fan out and seemed to stop at the time temporarily but the fan has repossesed itself again.

280 is too much money!

Quote Originally Posted by sabai dee View Post
    Hello mate.
    I have a 2004 A3 and you will see if you can find my earlier request for help back in March. Basically I had the same problem which developed from a minor irritation to a full on breakdown.
    The larger fan on the insode of the engine bay would come and and I had to use my 10mm spanner to disconnect the battery. I called the RAC and they disconnect the batt and used a long screwdriver between the batt terminals to release any charge that may be held on the ecu. This did not work. I took it to Audi (out of warranty) and they plugged it in telling me they had cancelled a few faults but it needed to come in for repair. I was told it was going to be the fan unit control that is fitted on the back of the cooling fan. The only was to fix this is to replace the unit and Audi wanted £280 just for the fan.
    Anyway in disgust I left my car on the drive with the battery disconnect and it has resolved itself. I have had 4 months of trouble free motoring and having discussed the problem with a very experienced and reliable mechanic he said water may have got into a multi plug at the front of the engine causing a short.
    Hope this helps.
    0 0 0