Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there.

Recently I have been experiencing an awefull smell in my Audi. At first I had no idea where it was coming from and it would sometimes come and go. One day by chance I was driving bare foot and noticed that my footwell is completely wet. I searched the internet for simular problems but found nothing that exactly described my problem.

I took the car to an audi dealer and told him about the problem. The entire service of the car cost like 10% of its complete value and I was told that audi informed them about the problem and it is fixed now. Alas, it was not fixed.

I read up again and found all kinds of explenations ranging from battery tub drain pipes being clogged and letting water spill into the ventilation system of the car etc etc. I then proceded to simulate the problem. This is what I found out.

If I poured water down the driver side front windscreen the leak would occur. The pictures describe the leak best...

Anyone have any ideas how I can fix this?

Thanks

W

0 0 0

2. Re: A4 Driver footwell water leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if audi said they fixed it go back to them and get some wellys

0 0 0

3. Re: A4 Driver footwell water leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I suspect it probably doesnt matter where you pouring the water in, it's all about how it's getting to where it's coming out. My A4 Avant used to get wet footwells occasionally. On investigating it I found that the water collected underneath the battery area by the front bulkhead and it was from there it would find a way into the footwells. The commonly blocked drain hole is actually under the brake servo but if you cant get to it there then remove the battery. If you discover a puddle of water under the battery then this is the answer and it needs unblocking. Hope that helps. Mark.

0 0 0

4. Re: A4 Driver footwell water leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrobson View Post
    I suspect it probably doesnt matter where you pouring the water in, it's all about how it's getting to where it's coming out. My A4 Avant used to get wet footwells occasionally. On investigating it I found that the water collected underneath the battery area by the front bulkhead and it was from there it would find a way into the footwells. The commonly blocked drain hole is actually under the brake servo but if you cant get to it there then remove the battery. If you discover a puddle of water under the battery then this is the answer and it needs unblocking. Hope that helps. Mark.
    Thanks for the reply.

The problem is that I know about the battery problem and I spesifically poured the water so that it does not go anywhere near the battery. Unless it somehow finds a way to run from the one side of the car to the other side, because that is where the battery is at.

The other problem I am having is that it is so difficult so see anything as there are so many panels and stuff covering the leak. I have no idea how one would get to the problem, even if it was know what it was. It looks to me like I would have to dismantle the entire front end of the car to find the leak. This is highly annoying. I can barely afford the car as it is...

0 0 0

5. Re: A4 Driver footwell water leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    take the plastic cover off you will get a better view as mrobson said it doesnt realy matter where you pour the water it will fint a way in but i would defo remove batt to see if you have a build up of water or stick your hand down side off batt i could feel it when i checked mine

1 0 0

6. Re: A4 Driver footwell water leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What car is it? mine had the blocked drainage problem and it actually got doen for free at Audi as there is a recall on the problem. I first noticed water dripping out of where yours is (not inside but outside near the front wheels, the plenum chamber i think it is)
    AUDI A4 1.8T QUATTRO SPORTS : 2001 B6

0 0 0

7. Re: A4 Driver footwell water leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The black cover that goes across the back of the engine bay which includes the removable battery panel, conceals everything you need to look at to see if you've a blocked drainhole under the brake servo. It actually comes off quite easily in one piece. It's clipped into place so just use something to pull or push the clips up and off, pliers, screwdriver etc. Taking the battery out is a pain so if you do find a pool of water is present then see if you can get your hand or something pokey and flexible under the servo and poke about to unblock the hole. It can easily get blocked up with leaves and muck and the water sloshes around the whole area when being driven. You'll know when it's unblocked because all the retained water will gush out underneath the car and the puddle disappears. Mark.

0 0 0

8. Re: A4 Driver footwell water leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbaker View Post
    What car is it? mine had the blocked drainage problem and it actually got doen for free at Audi as there is a recall on the problem. I first noticed water dripping out of where yours is (not inside but outside near the front wheels, the plenum chamber i think it is)

Its an Audi A4 1.9 TDI 2001 model ( same as the 2002+ models )
    Most of the water comes out on the outside right front wheel, but some of it manages to find its way into the cabin and drips on my accelerator paddle.

Thanks for that. I will speak with my dealer and ask them if they are familiar with this leak and if they can contact Audi for more information.

Thanks allot.

0 0 0

9. Re: A4 Driver footwell water leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrobson View Post
    The black cover that goes across the back of the engine bay which includes the removable battery panel, conceals everything you need to look at to see if you've a blocked drainhole under the brake servo. It actually comes off quite easily in one piece. It's clipped into place so just use something to pull or push the clips up and off, pliers, screwdriver etc. Taking the battery out is a pain so if you do find a pool of water is present then see if you can get your hand or something pokey and flexible under the servo and poke about to unblock the hole. It can easily get blocked up with leaves and muck and the water sloshes around the whole area when being driven. You'll know when it's unblocked because all the retained water will gush out underneath the car and the puddle disappears. Mark.

Thanks!!!

I will try this and report back.

Regards.

0 0 0

10. Re: A4 Driver footwell water leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sigh its getting worse.

This weekend we had heavy heavy rains. When I started the car it sounded like the battery was flat and the on board computer told me there is something wrong with my break system.

After a while somehow the car started. The starter really struggled to turn the engine over, but it must be because its a diesel since there is no way a petrol engine would start with such low "starter RPM". I let it idle for about a minute, turned the engine off... and attempted a start again. Strangely this time around the car started like it normally does, no problems. No break warning on the on board computer either.

This is really starting to freak me out. I made an appointment with AUDI today and they are going to check if indeed my car is eligible for that plenum chamber recall, and then they would probably proceed to fix it. Since I live in Africa you cannot expect anyone to do "Audi recall" jobs for free on a service. It just won't happen. I hate this place.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast