Notices

User Tag List

Thread: DPF Diesel Particulate Filter failure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. DPF Diesel Particulate Filter failure. 
    kevtransporter Guest
    Hi, Does anyone have any experience of premature failure or blocked DPF ?
    I have a 2006 T5 130 transporter, which has done 46k, today it is being towed away to local VW dealers to have a new DPF fitted at a cost of approx £1200.
    We have tried to regenerate the filter ourselves as per the handbook but this has not worked. Is this common? VW customer care have confirmed that it is not covered by the warranty, and does not seem fair. Many Thanks for any advice. Kevin

0 0 0

2. Re: DPF Diesel Particulate Filter failure. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As someone who may have to change his faithfull T4 to a T5 in a couple of years (thanks to TFL) I find this interesting & also alarming.

Speaking to people in the "emmission industry) I get the impression that to stop these particulate filters blocking up you need to take the vehicle for a good thrashing every so often to "clear the s*** out" - surely, this defeats the object of the LEZ and DPF's as you are then "polluting" somewhere else instead ?

My view (when I am eventually forced to buy a T5) would be to look at having a bypass pipe made up so that the DPF can be refitted for the annual MOT. Probably get better MPG & performance too.
    take care & enjoy life
    Brian Considine

0 0 0

3. Re: DPF Diesel Particulate Filter failure. 
    kevtransporter Guest
    I would supprised if it can be bypassed, it is linked to the engine management and has various sensors on it.
    I will not ever buy another VW because of the problems we have had with this vehicle.
    In it first 16 months of life we have had to replace; wheel speed sensors, 6 glowplugs (at different times), turbo intercooler pipes, exhaust gas temp senders and turbo gas temp senders, on top of routine servicing. This is my only van, and the time off the road, has been crippling. It is currently off the road for another 2 1/2 weeks as DPF's are on back order! I cannot be alone !

0 0 0

4. Re: DPF Diesel Particulate Filter failure. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevtransporter View Post
    I would supprised if it can be bypassed, it is linked to the engine management and has various sensors on it.
    I will not ever buy another VW because of the problems we have had with this vehicle.
    In it first 16 months of life we have had to replace; wheel speed sensors, 6 glowplugs (at different times), turbo intercooler pipes, exhaust gas temp senders and turbo gas temp senders, on top of routine servicing. This is my only van, and the time off the road, has been crippling. It is currently off the road for another 2 1/2 weeks as DPF's are on back order! I cannot be alone !
    Have you been running on Petrodiesel or Biodiesel?
    I am sorry to hear of all your problems. Our VW Caddy has been great so far.
    As the previous poster mentioned the DPF is tied in with some sensors.
    The engine management allows some fuel into the DPF at intervals and then burns off the contaminants.
    If you remove the DPF you will have stop this "after injection" somehow as you will end up with raw fuel in the exhaust pipe which may cause more problems.

0 0 0

5. Re: DPF Diesel Particulate Filter failure. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi sorry to hear that you have got probs with the D.P.F. on your van. I have just purchased a new sportline and the dealer handed me an official disclaimer giving instructions to rectify the possible impending doom! tThen if all else fails a new D.P.F. would be req. and as it is a 'FILTER' it would be a chargable item! the eos has a similar prob and doubtless any other oil burner they bring out will suffer the same fate .they have a problem and they know it, hence the disclaimer AND the sticker on the windscreen .I live in the Isle of man and once a week give it death over the mountain course

0 0 0

6. Re: DPF Diesel Particulate Filter failure. 
    kevtransporter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchAussie View Post
    Have you been running on Petrodiesel or Biodiesel?
    I am sorry to hear of all your problems. Our VW Caddy has been great so far.
    As the previous poster mentioned the DPF is tied in with some sensors.
    The engine management allows some fuel into the DPF at intervals and then burns off the contaminants.
    If you remove the DPF you will have stop this "after injection" somehow as you will end up with raw fuel in the exhaust pipe which may cause more problems.
    The van has been run on Petrodiesel. The manual for this van says we must not use biodiesel, but I believe all diesel now contains 5% bio. Does this mean VW's can not be driven with any fuel purchased in the UK ? This could be a problem !

0 0 0

7. Re: DPF Diesel Particulate Filter failure. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The van has been run on Petrodiesel. The manual for this van says we must not use biodiesel, but I believe all diesel now contains 5% bio. Does this mean VW's can not be driven with any fuel purchased in the UK ? This could be a problem !
    Many European countries now use 5% of Biodiesel in Petrodiesel.
    I am sure Volkswagen diesel engines and other components have been made for this.
    There have been many discussions on forums about Biodiesel and DPF's.
    You will find some discussion here:

http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/viewfo...um=dutchaussie

0 0 0

8. Re: DPF Diesel Particulate Filter failure. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sorry to hear about your problems, but I noticed you have had your wheel speed sensors changed,Why? I ask because I have a problem with a vibration when braking, and my sensors were looked at, but were fine. I was just wondering what led to them being replaced?

0 0 0

9. Re: DPF Diesel Particulate Filter failure. 
    kevtransporter Guest
    Wheel speed sensors were changed becuase of a fault that showed up on the ECU light in relation to the ABS. I do not think it is the answer to your brake vibration.

0 0 0

10. Re: DPF Diesel Particulate Filter failure. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Worth the ask. Cheers anyway.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast