Notices

User Tag List

Thread: How long can TDI engines live for if looked after??

1. Question How long can TDI engines live for if looked after?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all,
    New to the a2 game - aquired a good eaxample of 1.6 FSI sport with low miles well looked after - seems cracking car - should have converted yrs ago !
    Not to impressed yet on the mpg - get about 36 averaged on a 400mile run after collecting. Is this par for the course ??
    Main question is really about diesel engines - How long can well maintained TDI's run for ??
    I have a family friend offering me theres with 140k on the clock with full audi serv history and long life servicing to date with no documented problems so far and 2 replaced cambelts at 60k and 120k with full service just recent and nil probs.
    Do any of you have experience with long lifers ??
    We intend to use for a good 70-80k miles.
    Also do the Turbos go on these vehicles b4 the engine ??
    I understand all comes down to how looked after and serviced and driven - this is a good example and keen on your opinions.
    Many thanx and look fwd 2 hearing your thoughts.

Nick

0 0 0

2. Re: How long can TDI engines live for if looked after?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I cannot comment on A2s specifically, but we have a 1992 Audi 80 1.9tdi and it is currently running at 205,000 miles with no mechanical problems. A little rust, but of course that won't be an issue for an A2.

The chap from whom we bought the 80 back in February informed me that his father in law (a company rep) had an 80 tdi from new back in 1992, until last year. He sold it with 520,000 miles on the clock.

Audi diesels seem to be bullet proof. It is common to see them for sale with 2-300k on the clock.

Jonathan

0 0 0

3. Re: How long can TDI engines live for if looked after?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As you can see from my avatar, I've got a TDI with 207000 miles on it. regularly get 60+ mpg, and it still goes like stink.
    Nothing to see here, move along..

0 0 0

4. Re: How long can TDI engines live for if looked after?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I have a 1.4 TDI which is the same engine as in the A2 and mine has now done 160000 on a 53 plate.No engine problems as yet and regularly get 65+MPG on cruise to work average speed 55-65MPH.I had FDSH when i bought it at 109k and i've since maintained it myself (Oil,filters,cambelt etc).
    As long as the oil is changed regularly they can easily achieve high miles.
    djl
    '12 Audi A4 Allroad 2.0 TDI 'CGLC'
    '11 VW GOLF BLUEMOTION 1.6 TDI. 'CAYC'
    '07 VW T5 TRANSPORTER T32 ,,,,,, 'BNZ'
    '91 VW GOLF SPORTLINE CABRIOLET 1.8 GTI. 'DX'

0 0 0

5. Re: How long can TDI engines live for if looked after?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    our 1.4 TDI A2 has done 176000 and still goes great, does about 52MPG but that might be how we drive it - have never managed to get the 65 people reckon they get - must drive like grannys

0 0 0

6. Re: How long can TDI engines live for if looked after?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know this is a relly old thread!... But thought I'd add my 215k on my Polo 1.4 TDi with a AMF engine code. Not bad for a driving school car thats still on the original everything! Only just changed the clutch at 213k... Used Castrol EDGE (5w-30) every 8k for oil change and now Motul V300 double ester oil. Lovely stuff

0 0 0

7. Re: How long can TDI engines live for if looked after?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Update :
    I recently replaced my engine at 281000 miles due to poor economy on long runs (55mpg max) and bad wear on lobes of cam and roller.
    '12 Audi A4 Allroad 2.0 TDI 'CGLC'
    '11 VW GOLF BLUEMOTION 1.6 TDI. 'CAYC'
    '07 VW T5 TRANSPORTER T32 ,,,,,, 'BNZ'
    '91 VW GOLF SPORTLINE CABRIOLET 1.8 GTI. 'DX'

0 0 0