Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Big Bang & Lots Of Black Smoke. Help Needed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Big Bang & Lots Of Black Smoke. Help Needed! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I have a MKiv Golf GT TDI 150, 2002.
    I was accelerating off a roundabout when there was a loud bang(like a backfire)
    and then lots of black smoke coming from the exhaust. The car lost all power and was badly misfiring, but the engine warning light did not came on. I pulled over and rev'ed the engine and it didn't sound too bad apart from it was louder than usual from under the bonnet. The noise sounded as though the air filter box top was off. When I set off again it was still badly misfiring and smoking, not allowing me to go above 30mph.
    On my way back from work it was still the same most of the way, not really showing any consistency as to how much the engine would rev or how fast it would go. I feathered the throttle and went through the gears and got it to a steady 50mph for a hill I had to negotiate and it went up OK. After the hill I was on a flat road again and the misfiring stopped but it is way down on power.
    I have had a quick look under the bonnet and it looks like a large pipe has come off down near the bottom of the engine on the right hand side looking from the front of the car about under the battery area. It seems that this pipe is something to do with the air intake? This is where the louder noise of the engine is coming from as I described above. There was also exhaust fumes coming from under the bonnet, could this be coming from where the pipe has come off?
    What was the loud bang that made the pipe come off?
    When I got the car I was looking at the service history and in Dec 2005 at 60000 it had the engine replaced, this was verified by the main dealer that fitted it. They said that it had a complete engine fitted, it has now done 88000. Will there be a warranty on a new engine fitted, and if so how many miles or how long does the warranty last?
    I would much appreciate your help with this.
    I am more concerned with what the problem might be than the warranty, as I would think I will be footing the bill myself.
    "If I hadnt seen such riches I could live with being poor"
    Passat 2.0 Sport DSG 140. 2006

0 0 0

2. Re: Big Bang & Lots Of Black Smoke. Help Needed! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi m8 dont sound to good but when i had my bora v5 it used to loose power as if there wasnt enough petrol getting in the engine it turned out it was the MAF when i disconnected the wire from maf it was ok so the misfiring could have come from there as it wont be working properly try disconnecting MAF plug and try that at least it might give you more power apart from that cant help much buddy

0 0 0

3. Re: Big Bang & Lots Of Black Smoke. Help Needed! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Are you sure the pressure hose hasn't been blown off the intercooler ? if so the car wouldnt be getting the charged air and may well cause your black smoke (unburnt fuel)

0 0 0

4. Re: Big Bang & Lots Of Black Smoke. Help Needed! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds like one of the air pipes has blown off between the turbo and the intercooler,or between the intercooler and the inlet manifold. i believe the clamps are prone to loosing grip.
    you may get away with new clamps,or you may have to replace the hose if it's worn too much.
    first time i was up a ladder i was down a well
    4th cog,--two to go

0 0 0

5. Re: Big Bang & Lots Of Black Smoke. Help Needed! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info, its just the bang thats worrying me. If the MAF has failed, could it over fuel to cause a backfire and blow the pipe off? I had no problems before the bang, there was no signes of anything wrong it was running as smooth as it always has.
    It was like a large baloon bursting and instant power loss.

0 0 0

6. Re: Big Bang & Lots Of Black Smoke. Help Needed! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What youve just described is a pipe being blown off on the charged air side of the inlet track

0 0 0

7. Re: Big Bang & Lots Of Black Smoke. Help Needed! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I hope this is the problem, and when its refitted everything is back to normal. Doesn't sound too expensive, even if it requires a new hose.
    I will keep you all informed tomorrow after I have had chance to investigate further, but I would still welcome any more suggestions.

0 0 0

8. Re: Big Bang & Lots Of Black Smoke. Help Needed! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    As has been said, usually the intercooler pipe blowing off, they are a poor design and the pipe will need replacing. One or two companies are bringing out improved design hoses. If it is the usual intercooler feed hose, they are a bit tight to get at on the 150. One of my customers carries spare clips around with him.
    Last edited by Crasher; 29-02-2008 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Smelling
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: Big Bang & Lots Of Black Smoke. Help Needed! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Crasher
    Thanks for the quick reply. I don't care how tight they are, its going to be a lot cheaper than a new turbo.

0 0 0

10. Re: Big Bang & Lots Of Black Smoke. Help Needed! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks to StewtL,Nutty & Crasher.
    It was in fact the hose from the intercooler that had blown off. Its hard to believe that such a simple thing can make such a bang and cause so much trouble.
    The hose involved was on the outlet side of the intercooler where it fitted to the plastic section that runs up the front of the engine. It looks like there has been a bolt missing for a long time which secures the plastic section to the engine, this was obviously allowing movement between the two parts which led to the lugs on the hose wearing to near nothing.
    A trip to the dealers and £34 later and she's back to normal. Well I think even better, I believe that the hose has been leaking air since I bought the car. There has always been an excessive sound of pressurised air leaking, I just thought this was the turbo dump valve getting rid of the excess pressure.
    Thanks again guys.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast