Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Device status not found or not ready?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Com port status; ok... Interface status; 3- not found or not ready 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello, I have an OBD 2 cable and have installed the relevant drivers and ross-tech software with success. I have been following the instructions and when i plug the device in when the ignition is turned on and run the test it comes up with; ''Com port status; ok... Interface status; 3- not found or not ready''... what does this mean? cheers
    Last edited by VtecJunkie; 16-02-2008 at 04:13 PM. Reason: title + description of problem

0 0 0

2. Re: Device status not found or not ready? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VtecJunkie View Post
    Hello, I have an OBD 2 cable and have installed the relevant drivers and ross-tech software with success. I have been following the instructions and when i plug the device in when the ignition is turned on and run the test it comes up with; Not found or not ready... what does this mean? cheers
    hi

is the cable 3rd party or a rosstech cable?

within vagcom, there is a function to check that the cable is establishing comms correctly.

9/10 times , with a 3rd party cable, the com port is mismatched, between the vagcom software and the register in the hardware profile.

0 0 0

3. Re: Device status not found or not ready? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the speedy reply mate, this is the cable i am using; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN:IT&ih=020 Sorry i am not very good with computers, can the problem you outligned be resolved and if so how would i go about it?

0 0 0

4. Re: Device status not found or not ready? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I thought i should add i installed version 311.2, would it be worth trying version 409.1 and seeing if that works any better?

0 0 0

5. Re: Device status not found or not ready? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Update;

I did a search on here and found out how to align the ports from another memers post;

Quote Originally Posted by ?? View Post
    To set these as the same, do the following. (the interface needs to be plugged into your pc, but not necessarily your car) 1. make a note of the port number that seems to find the interface in the VAG-COM software 2. close the program and right-click on the my computer icon, then select manage from system tools, select device managerand then expand 4. it should be clear which port is for your interface by the description 5. right-click the icon and choose properties, followed by the port settings tab. 6. click the advanced button and change the port number to the same as the one you noted from the software earlier. 7. click ok on all the windows and close the device manager. 8. restart the VAG-COM software and try to connect to your car again.

Now the interface status reads ''found and read'' but i have another message below it saying; ''fast-synch compatible; NO'' what does this mean? Is it ready to use or do i have another problem? Thanks in adavance, i am finally getting somewhere!

0 0 0

6. Re: Device status not found or not ready? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    DONE IT!!

Absolutely delighted, i managed to connect and scan and it found the fault; intermittant fault on ignitor, resistance too high or something. I cleared the code and the airbag light is off now so all my airbags work

I'm not sure if it will re-appear or not, if it does i will have to investigate further. Thanks for all the help and i hope this can help other too

0 0 0

7. Re: Device status not found or not ready? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just to say i have driven the car a few times now since clearing the fault codes and have had no problems thus far, the light has not re-appeared... hopefully it will stay like that.

I presume it would have re-appeared by now if the fault was still there?

0 0 0

8. Re: Device status not found or not ready? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Please take a general suggestion/advice. When dealing with airbag related faults never just clear codes, always make sure to actually check the fault/component. Besides that problems will reappear sooner or later there is some risk an airbag might deploy incidentally.
    Sebastian @ www.Ross-Tech.com

0 0 0

9. Re: Device status not found or not ready? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    From my understanding my problem is a faulty connector under the seat? From my research this usually occurs when the seat is moved up and down or forward and back... therfore I don't see how clearing the fault code can be a problem, as it may just be a one off.

If it re appears then obviously i will soldier the connector permanantly together to make a permanent connection.

I dont see how this could caus airbag deployment (clearing the code), can you elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Theresias View Post
    Please take a general suggestion/advice. When dealing with airbag related faults never just clear codes, always make sure to actually check the fault/component. Besides that problems will reappear sooner or later there is some risk an airbag might deploy incidentally.

0 0 0

10. Re: Device status not found or not ready? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The problem might be the connector, that's to be determined because it can also be a damaged wiring harness. If this problem comes up when moving the seat this is very likely the case. The airbag unit itself comes with a short wiring harness on it, that can be faulty too and would require the complete airbag to be replaced.

When a fault code is being set often certain protection mechanisms will be triggered too, this includes control modules ignoring input signals and/or using replacement values. In case of the airbag system the control module is checking the components in a certain cycle and like they teach it in VW/Audi tech training under certain circumstances just clearing a code and having the control module check the component can indeed trigger/blow an airbag.

Even though you have VAG-COM you should not work on systems which you are not familiar with, especially not doing any soldering on the airbag system. There is a reason why one avoids soldering in certain systems like avionics for example, soldering joints tend to brake under stress. Besides that you got warranty on the car and making own "improvements" like that will very likely void that warranty.
    Sebastian @ www.Ross-Tech.com

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast