0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Here is some information from the AA's website about DPF's:

It makes for an interesting read.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...e-filters.html

Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF)

Reducing diesel soot emissions by 80%
    Changes to new car emissions legislation scheduled for 2009, the so-called 'Euro 5' standards, will make particulate filters as commonplace in diesel car exhausts as catalytic converters are on petrol cars.
    The goal is an 80% reduction in diesel particulate (soot) emissions but the technology's not without problems – AA patrols are already being called to cars with the particulate filter warning light illuminated (indicates a partial blockage).
    It's clear that changes to driving style may be required too for maximum benefit from these systems.
    How do they work?

Diesel Particulate filters (DPF) or 'traps' do just that, they catch bits of soot in the exhaust.
    As with any filter (think of the bag in your vacuum cleaner) they have to be emptied regularly to maintain performance. For a DPF this process is called 'regeneration' – the accumulated soot is burnt off at high temperature to leave only a tiny ash residue. Regeneration may be either passive or active.
    Passive regeneration

Passive regeneration takes place automatically on motorway-type runs when the exhaust temperature is high. Many cars don't get this sort of use though so manufacturers have to design-in 'active' regeneration where the engine management computer (ECU) takes control of the process.
    Active regeneration

When the soot loading in the filter reaches a set limit (about 45%) the ECU can make small adjustments to the fuel injection timing to increase the exhaust temperature and initiate regeneration. If the journey's a bit stop/start the regeneration may not complete and the warning light will illuminate to show that the DPF is partially blocked.
    It should be possible to start a complete regeneration and clear the warning light simply by driving for 10 minutes or so at speeds greater than 40mph.
    If you ignore the light and keep driving in a relatively slow, stop/start pattern soot loading will continue to build up until around 75% when you can expect to see other dashboard warning lights illuminate too. At this point driving at speed alone will not be sufficient and the car will have to go to a dealer for regeneration.
    Expensive repairs

If warnings are still ignored and soot loading continues to increase then the most likely outcome will be a new DPF costing around £1000.
    Mainly town based driving

If your own car use is mainly town-based, stop/start driving it would be wise to choose petrol rather than risk the hassle of incomplete DPF regeneration.
    DPF additives

The most common type of DPF features an integrated oxidising catalytic converter and is located very close to the engine where exhaust gases will still be relatively hot so that passive regeneration is possible.
    There's not always space close to the engine though so some manufacturers use a different type of DPF which relies on a fuel additive to lower the ignition temperature of the soot particles so that the DPF can be located further from the engine.
    The additive is stored in a separate tank and is automatically mixed with the fuel whenever you fill up. Tiny quantities are required though so a litre of additive should treat around 2800 litres of fuel, enough to cover 25,000 miles at 40mpg.
    With this type of DPF regeneration will be initiated by the ECU every 300 miles or so depending on vehicle use and will take 5 to 10 minutes to complete. You shouldn't notice anything other than perhaps a puff of white smoke from the exhaust when the process is completed.
    AA experience

We're seeing some evidence of these systems failing to regenerate too, even on cars used mainly on motorways. It seems that on cars with a very high sixth gear engine revs are too low to generate sufficient exhaust temperature. Occasional harder driving in lower gears should be sufficient to burn off the soot in such cases.
    Check the handbook

If you buy a car with a DPF fitted it's important to read the relevant section of the vehicle handbook so that you understand exactly what actions to take if the warning light illuminates and how, if at all, your driving style may need to be adjusted to ensure maximum DPF efficiency and life.
    Current Car: Skoda Octavia vRS Hatch 2.0TDi 170 CR in Candy White
    Outgoing Car: 2007 56 Plate Audi A3 Sport Sportback 2.0TDi 170 PD in Black
    1 0 0

2. Re: Diesel Particle Filter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A DPF was a significant factor when I bought my Passat but one thing concerns me somewhat. VW stress that Biodiesel should NOT be used with a DPF; however, I understand that our (UK) government is intent on mandating a 5% biofuel content in the not-too-distant future. Does anyone know what effect, if any, this will have? Have VW had anything to say on the subject?

Grateful for any info!
    2013 Passat Alltrack 170PS DSG
    0 0 0

3. Re: Diesel Particle Filter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It seems that using a BioFuel will have no effect on DPF's. Burning soot is their primary objective and the biofuel will make them even more efficient at it.

Have a look at this BioFuel forum and the PDF document on exactly that.

http://www.biofuelsforum.com/general...lters_dpf.html
    0 0 0

4. Re: Diesel Particle Filter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Prolfe - I've since come across many similar comments. Only question is, will VW etc change their attitude? Presumably, when B5 is all that's available, they won't have much choice!
    2013 Passat Alltrack 170PS DSG
    0 0 0

5. Re: Diesel Particle Filter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Philler Cap View Post
    Thanks Prolfe - I've since come across many similar comments. Only question is, will VW etc change their attitude? Presumably, when B5 is all that's available, they won't have much choice!
    i'm sure they will just say that it is a different model of DPF or that they can Modify it at a cost.

0 0 0

6. Re: Diesel Particle Filter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by prolfe View Post
    We're seeing some evidence of these systems failing to regenerate too, even on cars used mainly on motorways. It seems that on cars with a very high sixth gear engine revs are too low to generate sufficient exhaust temperature. Occasional harder driving in lower gears should be sufficient to burn off the soot in such cases.
    Check the handbook

If you buy a car with a DPF fitted it's important to read the relevant section of the vehicle handbook so that you understand exactly what actions to take if the warning light illuminates and how, if at all, your driving style may need to be adjusted to ensure maximum DPF efficiency and life.
    I think mine may be suffering the fate that others have here, 3588 on the clock, let me down yesterday after a long motorway run Manchester to Cornwall on Monday and back to Bristol on Wednesday. VW Assist technician told me it is probably the sensor, garage don't seem to talk to VW assist and think a regeneration is all that is needed, despite Assist having found 0% soot in the filter.

However, I'll see what they do, really hope they don't simply clear the error code....

One question though, why is it necessary to change driving style and have the occaisional run at high revs than you would normally do? Seems to me like the design has not been fully thought through. A high sixth is designed for economy and most people will try to use it, so to be told, ah but occaisionally drop down to 4th/5th for 15 minutes goes against logic.

If my car has what from other forums appears to be an increasingly common flaw my faith in VW will go way down. I simply can't afford the hassle and time of going to garages all the time, as well as potentially being left by the roadside with a family of 5.
    0 0 0

7. Re: Diesel Particle Filter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    DPF light came on on my 07 octavia VRS, instructions stated drive 5-10 mins at least 60KmPH, didn't see any thing about low gear, high revs.
    Dealer told me it was 267% full !! may require a replacement filter which would not be covered by warrenty. Will dispute that if it comes to it. Will let you all know how i get on next week.
    0 0 0

8. Re: Diesel Particle Filter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lesw1ll View Post
    DPF light came on on my 07 octavia VRS, instructions stated drive 5-10 mins at least 60KmPH, didn't see any thing about low gear, high revs.
    Dealer told me it was 267% full !! may require a replacement filter which would not be covered by warrenty. Will dispute that if it comes to it. Will let you all know how i get on next week.
    my manual says 2000 revs and above for 15-20 minutes.
    0 0 0

9. Re: Diesel Particle Filter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

a couple of months ago a had a casual chat to a AA mechanic about this problem and he said if the light comes on the dash,i must put the car into third gear, and drive at 3500-4000 RPM for a few miles.

He said this would burn off the soot and recommended i do this at least once a month.
    0 0 0

10. Re: Diesel Particle Filter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looks like skoda have changed their instructions. May help me if it is not covered by warrenty.
    0 0 0

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast