Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello everybody,
    I'm wondreing can someone tell me the location of the thermostat on a 97 cordoba 1.3. My car is overheating. The fan doesn't cut in although works when a 12 volt supply is put across it. It's not leaking water, so I assume it's the thermostat. But if there are other suggestions as to what it might be, I'm all ears,
    Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: thermostat location cordoba 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the thermostat is along the bottom water hose leading into the head of the engine sounds like a thermostat if problem contuies ad change the water pump
    200hp 242plbs

0 0 0

3. Re: thermostat location cordoba 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrguitar View Post
    Hello everybody,
    I'm wondreing can someone tell me the location of the thermostat on a 97 cordoba 1.3. My car is overheating. The fan doesn't cut in although works when a 12 volt supply is put across it. It's not leaking water, so I assume it's the thermostat. But if there are other suggestions as to what it might be, I'm all ears,
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darren_mcvicar View Post
    the thermostat is along the bottom water hose leading into the head of the engine sounds like a thermostat if problem contuies ad change the water pump
    sounds more like a sender problem to me.
    i don't know the car, but would assume that their is a temperature sender for the guage, and possibly another one that supplies feed to the fan motor/s.
    the thermostat is normally on the top of the cylinder head,directly before the top hose connection.(follow the top hose from the radiator, and where it connects to the head, normally the thermostat sits in that small housing).
    if the thermostat was stuck,or failed, in the closed position, then your water would only be circulating through the engine block, with very little going to the
    rad. the temperature would rise, and the sender would then supply a feed to the
    fan motor/s. but because the water wasn't going through the rad, due to the thermostat being closed, the fan would run, but not cool, because the water would not be circulating through the rad.
    i would look around the cylinder head, in the area that the hoses connect, and look for one,possibly two temperature senders(they will be close together if their is two of them, and the sender for the guage would normally have only
    one wire, while the fan motor sender would have two wires on it.)
    i would be very supprised if it was a thermostat problem, and if a failed water pump stopped your fan coming in, well,what's the point of having a fan?
    first time i was up a ladder i was down a well
    4th cog,--two to go

0 0 0

4. Re: thermostat location cordoba 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well common sense says go wif the cheapest opition so i would change the thermostat and the fan dosent kick in when the thermostat is f****d. The tempreture sender iss on the back of the radiator and they are £23 plus vat from vw
    200hp 242plbs

0 0 0

5. Re: thermostat location cordoba 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well common sense says go wif the cheapest opition so i would change the thermostat and the fan dosent kick in when the thermostat is f****d. The tempreture sender iss on the back of the radiator and they are £23 plus vat from vw
    and if the thermostat doesn't fix it, go straight ahead, with the cheapest option, and change the water pump?
    why not link the sender out before you go down any of those routes?
    4th cog,--two to go

0 0 0

6. Re: thermostat location cordoba 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by STEWY L View Post
    and if the thermostat doesn't fix it, go straight ahead, with the cheapest option, and change the water pump?
    why not link the sender out before you go down any of those routes?
    only trying to help
    4th cog,--two to go

0 0 0

7. Re: thermostat location cordoba 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mate a thermostat is about 8 bucks and a could almost gauntee this will solve his problem
    200hp 242plbs

0 0 0

8. Re: thermostat location cordoba 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    The thermostat is on the side of the head just below and behind the distributor, in a black plastic housing. With the engine stone cold, follow the bottom radiator hose back to the engine. When you get to a plastic housing you will see it has two 8-mm hex head bolts which turn out to be self tapping screws when removed. Remove the hose from the housing and then remove the screws so you can remove the housing. Inside here is the thermostat which is unlike any thermostat you have probably ever seen, a sort of cylindrical black plastic and metal spring affair that should be in one piece. Turn over the water housing top you removed and look inside it where you will see a plastic bridge from one side to the other. In the centre of this bridge is the contact (reaction) point for the thermostat and this should be sealed over, if not the housing has failed and needs replacing. The part number you need will be on the old one but is probably 032 121 121 J and costs £11.27 from a VW or Seat dealer. I am a bit confused about it being a 1.3, what is the engine code?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: thermostat location cordoba 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mate a thermostat is about 8 bucks and a could almost gauntee this will solve his problem
    i have no argument with that, you may well be right, but in your first reply you stated that if the thermostat didn't fix it, change the water pump.
    well you may be right about that also, but what if they don't?
    all i'm saying is diagnose the problem before you throw money at it.
    if you link out the sender the fan should run, and if it still overheats then yes you have a circulation problem,if it runs ok then change the sender.
    4th cog,--two to go

0 0 0