Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Timing belt renewal 1.9 TDI ASZ (PD)

1. Timing belt renewal 1.9 TDI ASZ (PD) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am thinking of renewing the timing belt on my Golf 4 1.9TDI ASZ, 96kW (PD), 2002, as it nears 90,000km.

I have some questions:

i) I understand that the tensioner should be replaced at the same time, but should the water pump also be replaced?

ii) The manual that I have describes fixing the camshaft in position (using a special tool), removing the sprocket on the camshaft, re-fitting it (upon fitting the new timing belt) and re-torquing it. I do not really understand this. The camshaft is keyed so what is the point of removing it and fitting it back on. Is this really necessary?

iii) My manual also describes fixing the fuel pump sprocket in the correct position (using a special tool) slackening 3 radial bolts on the fuel pump sprocket but not the main central bolt then re-tightening the 3 radial bolts (upon fitting the new timing belt) to a pre-torque, taking the car to a VW dealer (the engine can run with the 3 bolts at their pre-torque), having them check the timing electronically and finally tightening the three bolts after that. Is this also really necessary? Can one not just leave the 3 bolts and fuel pump sprocket un-touched and also not bother with the electronic timing check at VW?

Or am I right in thinking that my manual does not cover the TDI PD (ASZ) engine fully and that the timing belt renewal procedure on the PD engines differs to that on non-PD engines?

Any advice on DIY timing belt replacement on VW TDI PD engines would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Jonathan Butler

0 0 0

2. Re: Timing belt renewal 1.9 TDI ASZ (PD) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Always replace the water pump, your manual is describing the process for a VEP engine, not a PD-buy a better manual.PM sent.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

3. Re: Timing belt renewal 1.9 TDI ASZ (PD) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butljon View Post
    I am thinking of renewing the timing belt on my Golf 4 1.9TDI ASZ, 96kW (PD), 2002, as it nears 90,000km.
    ii) The manual that I have describes fixing the camshaft in position (using a special tool), removing the sprocket on the camshaft, re-fitting it (upon fitting the new timing belt) and re-torquing it. I do not really understand this. The camshaft is keyed so what is the point of removing it and fitting it back on. Is this really necessary?
    Aye - you can't get the belt on unless you fit together with the sprocket if its the one I'm thinking of.
    Quote Originally Posted by butljon View Post
    iii) My manual also describes fixing the fuel pump sprocket in the correct position (using a special tool) slackening 3 radial bolts on the fuel pump sprocket but not the main central bolt then re-tightening the 3 radial bolts (upon fitting the new timing belt) to a pre-torque, taking the car to a VW dealer (the engine can run with the 3 bolts at their pre-torque), having them check the timing electronically and finally tightening the three bolts after that. Is this also really necessary? Can one not just leave the 3 bolts and fuel pump sprocket un-touched and also not bother with the electronic timing check at VW?
    Without loosening the 3 bolts, the belt is not free on one side, so when tensioning, youre effectively only doing so on half of the belt length, as the other is locked by the sprockets. Therefore incorrect tension will be set.
    2019 Urus, 2020 RS7
    2014 RS6, 2018 RS5, 2016 RS3, 2019 RS3
    2011 RS5, 2008 S5 V8
    2007 A4 2.0, 2008 Passat 2.0 TDI
    2005 Bora 1.9 TDI, 2000 Bora 1.6 , 1989 Polo 1.4

0 0 0

4. Re: Timing belt renewal 1.9 TDI ASZ (PD) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Personaly I always change the waterpump if it either is part of the timing belt run & is therefore driven by the timing belt or if you have striped everything out to do the belt & to do the waterpump in the future would almost be a repeat of the timing belt, The problem you get faced with is any contamanants on the belt potentially destroys it, then its knackered engine, so for the cost of a decent pump just do it :-)

0 1 0