Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys,
    I'm new on this forum and I'm a new, not very happy owner of a VW Bora TDI from 2001. I really appreciate all the posts on this forum and I found good answers to my questions. But I'm a computer geek and I don't understand all about cars as I would like
    So, as I said, I'm the "proud" owner of a second hand, 6 gears chipped Bora. Now, everything was fine with the car when I bought it ( apart from 2 windows that don't work , the lighter where I usually plug the gps power supply and several other things). After 1 month the immobilizer yellow light start flashing on the dash board but I was able to open the car and start the engine/drive the car. After other 7 days, when I tried to start the engine, nothing happened. The lights came on the dash board, a noise like a relay trying to connect over and over again came from behind it. Now, the big question:
    Does anyone have a clue about this or experienced this before? Can you help me in any way, before me calling VW to tow the car to their expensive garage? Thank you in advance.

0 0 0

2. Re: Immobilizer issue? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi and welcome to the forum.
    i have no idea as regards the windows or immobiliser, but as to the clicking relay, i would start at the easy bit and stick a meter over the battery and make sure you have enough voltage to hold the relay in.should be 12v or slightly above. sorry can't be any more helpful than stating the obvious, hope you get sorted, though it is sunday and a lot of the more knowledgeable lads may be out
    to lunch!!

1 0 0

3. Re: Immobilizer issue? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, STEWY L and thank you for the suggestion.
    I tried to measure the battery voltage but , after I opened the car's door and inserted the key in the ignition (the fob is fried and this is the procedure the guy I bought the car from told me is working ) the alarm started. Since is Sunday and people are resting I closed the door back and came to post the result.

0 0 0

4. Re: Immobilizer issue? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As a quick idea... Will it help if I disconnect the battery? Will the alarm still go? (I’m thinking about an extra battery only for the alarm)I don't have the radio code and, apart from this (if so) is there anything else that might be affected if the battery is disconnected?

0 0 0

5. Re: Immobilizer issue? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    having read other threads on similar issues, i wouldn't disconnect the battery if you can help it, i believe it causes all sorts of problems.makes you wonder though how you do change the battery should it need it! perhaps a set of jump leads on the new battery before disconnecting the old one.
    how about just flipping the bonnet and checking the battery? you don't need to put key in to check battery, or, how about just sticking a charger on it as it stands? one of your neigbours may be all too pleased to supply one if it's
    going to get the problem sorted.?

0 0 0

6. Re: Immobilizer issue? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    STEWY L, thank you for the suggestions.
    I measured the battery voltage (very quickly while the alarm went off) and it came out as 12.1V. So, it seems that is not a low voltage issue. Any other suggestions? HELP, please!

0 0 0

7. Re: Immobilizer issue? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i would ring the guy you got it from, as now you say the fob is fried and he will
    be the only one who will know HOW it got fried, and WHAT happened when it did. he may well have had the same problem you have now. after that, can only suggest you read "similar threads" but you probably been down that route.
    i wouldn't be doing you any favours at all by guessing at the problem,i have had
    no problems at all with my 2001 bora 130 sport, and hope that you get yours sorted so that you can enjoy it more than you seem to be.
    you may well get more replies after today, don't forget it's 12th night and some of us have been busy ripping the xmas decs down in time for the match on the telly at 5.45!!!
    take care, stewy

0 0 0

8. Re: Immobilizer issue? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you, STEWY L, for the time and advise. I spoke with the previous owner and he told me that his young son dropped the key in the water , thats the reason it was fried.
    The last update: today I opened the door and the alarm didn't go off, so that I disconnected the battery ( as I saw on a post on the web) an I hoppen that this will sort the problem. But not, it's the same, now, when I plug the key in the ignition and turn to activate the dash board, all the light run like mad and the mileage and clock LCD segments start flashing. Also, the engine doen't start. Any clue?

0 0 0

9. Re: Immobilizer issue? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think you need to charge the battery with a charger.

1 0 0

10. Re: Immobilizer issue? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you, al bundy, this will be the first thing I'll do tomorrow morning. Bu I already tried with the jumper leads from a Nissan Terrano and it was no improvment. Is this the reason the dashboard is acting mad? I really appreciate the suggentions and time taken to answer my problem

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast