Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all,

I'm an ex Audi owner, (A4 2.6, 2 x Audi Coupes (Series 3) and 2 x Audi Cabriolets, currently running a 328i SE saloon (2000 year) for past 6 months. 1st BMW I've had and decided on this after quite a few Audi niggles with suspension, electrics etc.

Anyway, within 6 months of the BMW I've had about 4-5 faults already and although I think its great to drive I'm not sure they're as good as people make out, either that or I've had a duffer.

Anyone else had both cars and got any thoughts ?

Thinking of getting A4 2002ish possibly.

p.s. I do 20-25K per year but most fuel is paid for by company.

Thanks
    Nick

0 0 0

2. Re: A4 or BMW 3 Series 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had 2 A4s, then got a 3-series. I pretty much hated it, the build quality was poor and it felt cheap compared to the Audi. The only advantage was that it handled better and I concede it had more standard kit.

Have gone back to Audi, much nicer.

0 0 0

3. Re: A4 or BMW 3 Series 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    bmw's are well known for being thought of as reliable while constantly breaking down.
    merc's are even worse.

Not saying by any extreme audi's are perfect, but they do seem to be more solidly built, with a more interesting dashboard, which in turn adds to the driving pleasure.

0 0 0

4. Re: A4 or BMW 3 Series 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had a E39 530D which had a great engine but I was always waiting for the turbo to blow ( common fault on these). I fancied an auto box and bought a 2003 330D M Sport Auto with just about every extra available. Couldn't get more than 30 mpg even though the 5 series did 40mpg. After 3 days of happy ownership the Auto Box blew up. Found out later that this is an increasingly common problem with BMW automatics. They are "sealed for life" but only seem to last for 60 to 80 K miles. Approx £4K to fix

I was a bit scared of beemers after this and with fuel increasing all the time bought a fully specced 1.9 Tdi Sport 130 with a MANUAL box.

So far "touch wood" I'm very happy as there are very few cars with a nicer interior than an Audi IMHO. Drives very well too.

0 0 0

5. Re: A4 or BMW 3 Series 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There's been quite a few threads on this one, surprisingly enough this being an Audi site people here will say get the Audi, wheras on a BMW site they'd probably say stay with BMW! I bought my '02 plate A4 3.0 Quattro Sport 18mths ago after a direct comparison with the 330ci BMW. I bought the Audi because I prefered the handling, it was more comfortable, the interior was more to my liking, it was cheaper to buy & cheaper to insure! My mate has an x-reg 330ci, its been pretty reliable in reality so reliable ones do exist! For the money, i'd still buy an Audi having lived with mine for 18mths!
    '53 Smart Roadster Coupe - So much fun, so little cost to run!!

'03 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H - Currently off the road due to binning it on the M1!

'02 A4 3.0 Quattro Sport - Gone but missed daily!

0 0 0

6. Re: A4 or BMW 3 Series 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks a lot to everyone for their replies.
    It sounds like Audi A4 Quattro everytime and as I cant afford one of those yet, I'll stick with rear wheel drive good handling BMW and then move across rather than be disappointed with front wheel drive A4...

Thanks again
    Nick

0 0 0

7. Re: A4 or BMW 3 Series 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dancerdave View Post
    After 3 days of happy ownership the Auto Box blew up.
    I think Audi is competing with its Mutlitronic gearbox for failure rates as well

VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0T 2015 - Awesome snow churning 4x4 GTI 😉

0 0 0

8. Re: A4 or BMW 3 Series 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They are quite different cars.

I don't have a 3er but I do have a 535d which is an awesome car and drives very nicely and possibly better than an A6 - but the Audi does other things much better.

The mrs currently has a 3.0Q Cab which I love too.

My choices would be as follows (having driven all of them)

A3 vs 1er - Audi
    A4 vs 3er - Audi
    A5 vs 3er - Audi
    A6 vs 5er - BMW
    A8 vs 7er - BMW
    TT vs Z4 - Audi

Besides I get let of junctions more driving the Audi than I do the BMW

0 0 0

9. Red face Re: A4 or BMW 3 Series 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have to say, i have owned a couple of bmw's 2 Merc's and 3 audi's,

I used to live in the town that i work in and i didnt really bother about mpg and all that stuff, so i have had a range of motors to try out, starting with a Audi A4,Audi A4 Cab, BMW 328c, Merc ML, a Brand new Merc C200 Avantgarde (This was nice for arounds town) they were all lovely motors to drive around town and the occasional trip out.

Then i moved away from that town, 62 miles to work everyday and then home again, firstly i had the merc c class for this and then had dreadful backache and was always tired and it was such a slow motor, thankfully as if it was any faster i would lose my mpg. So, then had to think carefully what motor was i gonna get to do this dreadful trip everyday.

After a lot of test driving and reading up about mpg.......A purchase of a Audi A4 Avant, 1.9tdi sports, and i have to say its brilliant, great mpg and also a better pick up than the c class. I now notice that filling up the tank costs around 65 quid, and i easily get 700 miles out of this, which is a full weeks driving and around town stuff when i am in and out of the office!!

Its so comfortable, no back ache anymore, no feeling tired!! handles well, got the pick up to overtake anything as well.....i had none of this in the merc....cant really comment on the BMW as the coupe was just round town and it was a machine that wanted to go fast all the time, lovely to drive but always in the *********** having something done cos it was broke!!

he audi when i bought it, had 32k on it, in 6 months i ham now pushing 60k and still love driving it, and when i look at this motor and get the faintest idea i should be looking around at a new motor....i always end up looking at newer ones of these....so i think i have found the perfect car for a change.....as you can read from the list of cars above, i do like a change....but i will be keeping hold of this baby!!

One complaint, dim headlights but hopefully i have put pay to that by fitting new Philips + Lights this morning!!

Thanks for getting that off my chest, hope its some help to you!!

0 0 0