Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Stop Warning Light In Dash

1. Stop Warning Light In Dash 
    Passatguy Guest
    Hi all,
    The message "STOP" in red has started to flash up on the dash of the wife's W plate tdi 115 pd. There is nothing else to indicate what the message refers to.
    I have looked through the handbook for an explanation. The word STOP is usually followed by some indication of what the problem is but not on mine.

I've researched the forum for this prob and found a few entries where this STOP message has appeared, followed by a secondary message or a symbol specifying whats to be checked.

The one chap that had the same prob as myself never got a reply to that particular question and has only ever posted once.... in the summer.

The STOP warning light usually comes on when the engine is first started and goes out after a short time , usually as she is driving away !!!!!!!!!. STRANGE, I THOUGHT STOP MEANT STOP

In the absence of a diagnostic check, does any one have any initial ideas and do u think it should be grounded until I find out the cause.?
    Any ideas most welcome.

0 0 0

2. Re: Stop Warning Light In Dash 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have experianced this once before,not knowing the cause,it ended up we had to replace the combi instrumenr.However try removing one of the battery trminals for about 1 min with ignition off

0 0 0

3. Re: Stop Warning Light In Dash 
    Passatguy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kenney View Post
    I have experianced this once before,not knowing the cause,it ended up we had to replace the combi instrumenr.However try removing one of the battery trminals for about 1 min with ignition off
    Thanks Kenney,
    When u say the combi instrument, is that the centre dash display, looking through the steering wheel and r u thinking that the removal of the battery lead may reset something ?

0 0 0

4. Re: Stop Warning Light In Dash 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes and Yes

0 0 0

5. Re: Stop Warning Light In Dash 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Passatguy View Post
    Hi all,
    The message "STOP" in red has started to flash up on the dash of the wife's W plate tdi 115 pd. There is nothing else to indicate what the message refers to.
    I have looked through the handbook for an explanation. The word STOP is usually followed by some indication of what the problem is but not on mine.

I've researched the forum for this prob and found a few entries where this STOP message has appeared, followed by a secondary message or a symbol specifying whats to be checked.

The one chap that had the same prob as myself never got a reply to that particular question and has only ever posted once.... in the summer.

The STOP warning light usually comes on when the engine is first started and goes out after a short time , usually as she is driving away !!!!!!!!!. STRANGE, I THOUGHT STOP MEANT STOP

In the absence of a diagnostic check, does any one have any initial ideas and do u think it should be grounded until I find out the cause.?
    Any ideas most welcome.
    Two things to check for this.Firstly check cold cranking voltage of the battery as a voltage drop can cause the dash voltage to also drop and briefly cause the brake warning issue and some times oil warning,when you drive away the alternator has boosted the voltage to 14 volts and hence the fault goes.This is common in the colder months due to more current draw by the starter motor to turn the engine.Second possibility is induced voltage from the starter wire which runs along the side of the master cylinder fluid level sensor,this can be rectified by insulating the starter wire in that area with a fabric material and some tinfoil and also check the fluid level is at maximum as the cranking of the engine can rock the low level sender.
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs

0 0 0

6. Re: Stop Warning Light In Dash 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, nice input A8 Tech,

Take an extra 100 or so reputation points

I occasionally have the brake warning light come on and will check out the points you raise.

Ta!

0 0 0

7. Re: Stop Warning Light In Dash 
    Passatguy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by a8 tech View Post
    Two things to check for this.Firstly check cold cranking voltage of the battery as a voltage drop can cause the dash voltage to also drop and briefly cause the brake warning issue and some times oil warning,when you drive away the alternator has boosted the voltage to 14 volts and hence the fault goes.This is common in the colder months due to more current draw by the starter motor to turn the engine.Second possibility is induced voltage from the starter wire which runs along the side of the master cylinder fluid level sensor,this can be rectified by insulating the starter wire in that area with a fabric material and some tinfoil and also check the fluid level is at maximum as the cranking of the engine can rock the low level sender.
    Thanks a8 tech,
    I shall monitor the problem and if it continues, will implement your advice as well.
    I sense that it doesn't sound like anything terminal is going to happen to the engine as a result of this warning but appreciate that it should not be ignored. Cheers.

0 0 0