Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Installation Guide: Connects2 iPod interface (the affordable way to connect yoru iPod to Audi Nav)

1. Thumbs up Installation Guide: Connects2 iPod interface (the affordable way to connect your iPod to Audi Nav) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Hi,

Shocked at the cost of a Dension 500 Gateway I decided to buy a Connects2 adapter instead. The model number is: CTAADIPOD003

Pro’s:
    It’s a bargain! I got it from eBay, £74 including shipping.
    It’s hard-wired, so the sound quality is great (unlike those FM transmitter interfaces!)

Cons:
    No track information (i.e. song / track titles etc) are displayed on the Nav screen, but you can skip tracks and choose play-lists using the Nav’s buttons.

Here are my installation notes:

TOOLS & PARTS NEEDED:
    i. Small socket wrench with 8mm socket
    ii. 12mm drill bit (and drill!)
    iii. 4 OEM Audi radio removal keys (or AutoLeads "European Radio" removal keys).
    iv. Crimping tool (pliers will do)
    v. A small star-shaped screwdriver bit (sorry, I don't know the size. A set can be bought at Maplins)
    vi. Screwdriver that can accept different bits (i.e the star-shaped bit).
    vii. Small cable ties
    viii. Small crimp-on eyelet connector (for connecting the "common" cable behind a screw, pictured further down in this guide)

A FEW VERY IMPORTANT NOTES
    i. You follow my installation notes entirely at your own risk. I accept no responsibility for problems you experience by following my notes! (just covering my a$$).
    ii. Be aware that you'll need the pin code for the radio as it has to be disconnected from the power.
    iii. Once the Connects2 adapter is installed, the CD changer in the boot will have no power, so ensure you remove your CDs first!
    iv. Read all the way through before starting, to avoid those "Doh" moments!

1) NAV UNIT REMOVAL
    i. Pull the gearstick away from the centre console. If you have an auto; ensure the handbrake is on firmly, put the key in the ignition (1 click) and pull the gear selector into 2. (This'll give you as much space as possible to get the Nav unit out!)

ii. Protect the lower centre console & gearstick with a blanket or rug.

iii. Using OEM Audi radio keys or AutoLeads "European Radio" keys, pull the Nav unit out of the dashboard.

iiv. Unplug all connections from the back of the Nav unit and put it somewhere safe!

2) GLOVEBOX REMOVAL
    i. Open the glove compartment and undo the bolts (using an 8mm socket) on the left & right underside of the glove compartment roof (leave the middle one in for now).

ii. Undo the two bolts underneath the glove box (one left, one right).

iii. Finally, undo the aforementioned middle bolt and the dashboard will drop-out.

iv. Carefully disconnect the wiring loom at the back of the glove compartment (effectively the foot-well ceiling, which is part of the glove box) and remove the entire glove box unit from the car.

5) MOUNTING THE IPOD & MAKING A HOLE FOR THE CABLE
    The Connects2 kit came with both an iPod cradle and a loose cable connection. I decided to use the cradle, which I mounted in the glove box. (It could also go in the arm rest etc.)

i. Place the glove box unit on something that won't scratch it.

ii. A hole must be drilled in the glove box carcass so the iPod cradle can be connected to the main Connects2 box. The cable has a round connector on it; you'll need to drill at least a 12mm hole. I chose to drill this in the sloping section behind the "Passenger Airbag on /off" switch (seen below, photographed from the top of the glove box):

Obviously, you should unplug the airbag switch connector whilst drilling so it doesn’t get damaged. Using a 12mm flat-blade wood drill bit, I very slowly drilled through the plastic (despite this, I still marked the glove box lining slightly when the drill bit broke through, doh!).

iii. The iPod cradle was provided with self-tapping screws. Having re-connected the airbag switch connector and pushed the round iPod connector cable through the new 12mm hole, I put the cradle in place and screwed it to the back of the glove compartment.
    Because the other side of the glove box is covered in thick soundproofing, there are no worries about the screws damaging anything (they're very short anyhow).

iv. So that's the glove box part taken care of. Store it somewhere safe (like the boot) for the moment.

3) INSTALLING THE CONNECTS2 WIRING LOOM & REPLACING THE NAV UNIT
    With so many cables already connecting to the back of the Nav unit, there really isn't room for the Connects2 wiring loom and the Connects2 box behind there too! I chose to mount the Connects2 box above the glovebox. Here's how I fed the wires through & connected everything up:

i. Plug the original Audi loom into the male end of the Connects2 loom (you can't get it wrong, the connectors are appropriately male / female).

ii. Take the section of the loom that connects to the Connects2 box (it has a small, square, black connector). Feed this cable from the back left of the Nav cage through to the area usually occupied by the glove box.
    Looking at the photos below will give you some idea where to feed the connector through (it's very hard to describe!) Use your finger to find the gap first, then push the cable through.

NB: In the photo above, you can see the Connects2 box, but don't attempt to mount it yet! (you need slack cable to plug into the back of the Nav unit).

iii. You will notice that there is a loose black cable attached to the black Connects2 connector. This is the earth / ground / common cable and it's very important that you attach this before plugging-in the Connects2 box otherwise you could fry components inside the Connects2 box! (apparently).

Strip off about 2cm of sheath from the black cable, twist and fold the cable back on itself (to make a U shape) slide-on the eyelet and then crimp it firmly using a crimp tool or pliers (eyelet pictured below).

NB: The black cable with the crimped eyelet should be inside the Nav cage (just in case you had it on the glove box side!)

iv. Get the Nav unit and rest it on the rug / blanket in front of the gearstick. You now need to use the small star-shaped screwdriver bit to undo one of the screws from the back of the actual Nav unit. Put the eyelet over the screw hole and replace the screw. This provides the earth / ground / common for the Connects2 box.

v. Making sure you don't pull the black connector back through the gap, reconnect all of the cables to the back of the Nav unit, DOUBLE CHECK everything is pushed in properly and then push the Nav unit all the way back in to it's normal position.
    It is a tight fit; you may have to push the Audi & Connects2 loom towards the gap at the back right of the Nav cage if you find that you can't push the Nav unit all the way back.

4) MOUNTING THE CONNECTS2 BOX
    i. I was planning to wrap the Connects2 box in foam rubber to stop it rattling, but I found a spot to squeeze it (into behind the upper dashboard) that was so tight, that it didn't require soundproofing:

Legal Disclaimer: I'm happy that the position of the Connects2 box won't impede the opperation of my passenger airbag in any way. Obviously you follow my example at your own risk! (Just covering my a$$)!

ii. The Connects2 loom passes a metal support for the centre console. To prevent chaffing and rattling, I wrapped the loom in some Velcro (the "loop" fluffy side) and cable-tied it in place. You can see this in one of the photos above.

iii. Connect the small, square, black connector to the Connects2 box. Then, using the photos above as a guide (and at your own risk) push the connects2 box into the gap in the dashboard section above the glove box. You must insert the Connects2 box so that Connects2 logo is showing (otherwise the iPod cradle cable socket will be inaccessible!.

5) CONNECTING THE IPOD CRADLE & REPLACING THE GLOVEBOX
    i. Bring the glove box back into the car and temporarily connect-up the round iPod cradle cable to the Connects2 box (reference the photos to see where it plugs in.) Be gentle to avoid bending the pins.
    The connector will only insert in one position; there is a little dent on the round metal ring that must line-up to the recess on the connector on the Connects2 box (a torch may help you to see the corect way to insert it).

ii. Before replacing the glove box, put your iPod in the cradle, turn-on the Nav unit (you'll have to re-enter the pin code), select the CD changer and test that it all works! If it doesn’t, you'll have to check all the connections are pressed together properly! I've used 3 Connects2 interfaces in previous cars - they have always been reliable.

iii. Turn the Nav unit off and neatly coil the excess iPod cradle cable with a cable-tie. I stood the coil of cable in the recess where I drilled the 12mm hole earlier (behind the passenger airbag on / off switch).

iv. Re-connect the glovebox cable loom (open the glove box to make sure the light comes on). Carefully offer-up the glove box to it's normal position and screw-in the top middle bolt with your spare hand. Whilst it's being held in position by the middle bolt, you can then screw-in the other 4 bolts. Don't tighten them up until you're happy with the position of the glove box (it can slide left / right slightly).

- The End -

PS: If you've found this guide helpful, please add to my reputation by using the middle button to the bottom-left of this line of text, cheers!
    1 0 0

2. Re: Installation Guide: Connects2 iPod interface (the affordable way to connect your iPod to Audi Nav) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is a brilliant and very clear guide - I might have a go myself - thanks!

Has someone done one for the MAF?
    ========================================
    Julian Whitehead
    2001 A6 Avant 2.7T Q
    Swing Unlimited | www.subb.co.uk | www.myspace.com/swingunlimitedbigband
    0 0 0

3. Re: Installation Guide: Connects2 iPod interface (the affordable way to connect your iPod to Audi Nav) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webchem View Post
    This is a brilliant and very clear guide - I might have a go myself - thanks!

Has someone done one for the MAF?
    Many thanks

I have previously made a mini guide on how to clean the MAF;

https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=15977

But that doesn't explain how to remove it form the car. All you have to do is locate the airbox, follow the big-bore pipe coming from it (leading to the engine) and half-way along you should spot a cable plugging-in tho the big-bore pipe.

I think the Bi-Turbo has two airboxes and therefore 2 MAFs!

Unplug the cable and you will see it's reveals the back of a sensor (the MAF sensor). You need to carefully remove the two screws either side (you'll need the star-shaped screwdriver bit - available in Maplins) and then pullout the sensor, being very careful not to drop anything in the hole!

Clean the MAF as per my other post and put the MAF sensor back in the same order!

I hope that helps, until somebody does a proper write-up!

Alex.
    1 0 0