Notices

User Tag List

Thread: ESP off, What's the difference?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. ESP off, What's the difference? 
    bquattro Guest
    Can someone please explain if there is any real difference in performance/handling when the ESP is de-activated? I have a 2.5 tdi quattro avant and was just curious if the function should be applied to particular driving conditions.

Cheers
    0 0 0

2. Re: ESP off, What's the difference? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    With ESP off (light on dash on), your car allows the wheels to spin, without cutting the engine power. No extra power is achieved by pressing the button.

With ESP on (light on dash off), your car has traction control, so if it detects you getting into trouble, ie wheels spinning, it temporarly cuts the engines power to assist with re-gaining traction to the wheels. As soon as traction is restored it puts the power back on for your to go wild again.

Hope that helps

Nick
    1.9 tdi PD 100 Bora
    110cc pitbike, 4 speed semi-auto
    110cc Off road buggy, 4 speed semi-auto
    0 0 0

3. Re: ESP off, What's the difference? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Having read the manual it also helps (when on!!) with under steer and over steer by looking at the cars' yaw rate and independantly (and this is the bit I can't remember....) braking the offending wheel!!!!

Will have another look at the manual and post up later!!!
    0 0 0

4. Re: ESP off, What's the difference? 
    bquattro Guest
    Thanks for these replies. I do remember reading the manuals description a while ago and being slightly bamboozled by the offending wheel braking bit. So it seems to be a traction control on/off button then. Next time I need to let off some steam I will hit the button, floor it and burn rubber/wheelspin on gravel then feel good again!?
    0 0 0

5. Re: ESP off, What's the difference? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dont do it on gravel!!! unless you want stone chips down the side of your car.

Mine spins easily enough without trying to sometimes....Especially in the wet (mind you it has been remapped )
    1.9 tdi PD 100 Bora
    110cc pitbike, 4 speed semi-auto
    110cc Off road buggy, 4 speed semi-auto
    0 0 0

6. Re: ESP off, What's the difference? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    This reminds me of an instance when I went to a Seat dealer with a mate to check out a 1.8T Leon as a potential company car.

The salesman (gentleman aged circa 55) pointed out and explained the TC button on the dash, and then went on to say 'I'm not sure why anyone would want to turn the traction control off'....my mate and I looked at each other and burst into laughter like a couple of school kids!
    0 0 0

7. Re: ESP off, What's the difference? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    In short.. Switch ESP off if you like to make the car go sideways or screatch as you power through roundabouts etc...
    Also..I find that the car grips better in the snow with it switched off
    0 0 0

8. Re: ESP off, What's the difference? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had a Merc Vito van that had a proble with the ESP for nearly a year.

Fast corners always felt a bit edgy, you got the feeling you would be thrown into the scenery at any moment.

When the main dealer (us) finally fixed the problem, it transformed the handling.

It seems that manufacturers are designing suspension for performance and relying on electronics to calm things down a bit. The Merc system can be turned off, but will turn back on at 40mph.

I've tried attacking a roundabout while SWMBO hit the ESP button, but I didn't notice a thing. Probably because I wasn't close enough to the limit to make any difference.
    0 0 0

9. Re: ESP off, What's the difference? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Poole Audi kindly let me have an RS6 for an hour to have a play with.

I was scooting through some bendy bits on rough roads, leaves and grit aboundingly available, with handling like a slot racer.

I asked the salesman if you could turn off the traction control and he reached forward and turned it off!!

I screamed, "NO!! Don't turn it off, I just wanted to know if you could."

It was quickly turned back on again.

I really cannot understand why they spend so many millions of pounds developing a safety system which will keep you very much safer (and between the ditches), and then fit an 'off' switch.
    2007 Audi A6 3.0 TDi quattro S line manual saloon
    1975 Rover P6 4000S 5 speed

Time flies like an arrow
    Fruit flies like a banana
    0 0 0

10. Re: ESP off, What's the difference? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    The ESP saved my bacon the first time I took the S6 out in the wet!

I was going round a roundabout when I had to turn quite quickly (the exit was at an unexpected angle)..

The back of the car started to slide out at which point I felt a loss of power and the ABS system pumping one of the front brakes, so I assume ESP kicked in and stopped the sideways action!

I think in a situation like this, ESP saved the day.. not Quattro (?)

Having had a few 4motion Golfs, I'm quite surprised how much oversteer you get in the A6 Quattros! Then again it.'s a lot heavier and a fair amount longer!

Alex.
    0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast