1. Re: Replacing Outer CV Boot 2002 Allroad AKE Auto 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Morning everybody. Looks like my son now has this to do. Back in November we did a quick fix with one of those split gaiter repair kits! Shame it has now split at the join.
    Neither of us has a manual for this but by the sound of it all we need to do is remove from the wheel hub (easy??) but then what, does the outer CV joint come off the shaft to allow fitting of the new gaiter?
    I have done this job on other cars but the entailed removing the drive shaft completely, (polo) (Vx Carlton) (Meriva) so I know roughly what to expect.
    What head are the bolts, Allen/Torx/Star? and what size please? Too damn cold and wet to get under for a look for me...... Just back from a month in Nigeria 30+ every day, If it weren't for the grandchildren I would be back home in Spain just now!!
    Might as well help the young lad with this, so any tech advice and hints and tips on how to do this job would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jon

0 0 0

2. Re: Replacing Outer CV Boot 2002 Allroad AKE Auto 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Jon,
    If I can add something to this thread it is how to take the outer CV joint of the shaft. Forger about hammers and other stupidities, you just use the center screw and screw the shaft out of the joint.
    Other than that there are torx fitting the driveshafts to the gearbox and the center screw is torqued with a hell#/h ............ Loosen it when the car is still standing on the wheels

0 0 0

3. Re: Replacing Outer CV Boot 2002 Allroad AKE Auto 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Ametlib & Jon, a word of caution. The Allroad apparently has one of two types of triple roller joint drive shafts- either the AR2900 or the AR3300i (no idea what the difference is - but physically, the inner joint casing at the gearbox is different. The rim of the casing where the six bolts go is quite deeply grooved between the bolts on the AAR3300 ie. like a wedge has been cut out, and only a small nick on the AAR2900). The maint manual advises the use of brass drift and hammer to knock off the outer joint if it is AR3300i. The screw back in of bolt method to get outer joint circuit over the circlip and off only works with an AR2900 triple roller joint.
    When I come to it, as per a US write up, I will use my slide-hammer which has a 5/8" thread on the end which will neatly replace the M16 bolt. From inspection of the inner joint casing, I am sure the drive shaft on my 2002 AKE Allriad is an AAR3300i and thus the outer joint has to be knocked out
    The manual also says not a lot of force is required to get the outer joint off. Using the slide hammer avoids having to remove drive shaft from gearbox.

Jon, DO NOT REMOVE TIEROD JOINT - or you will need to do a wheel re-alignment later. It is sufficient to remove pinch bolt and the two upper control arms. With the axle bolt off, the wheel housing can be rotated back towards rear whereby shaft will come off hub and allow servicing (OR SO I HAVE READ!)

1 1 0

4. Re: Replacing Outer CV Boot 2002 Allroad AKE Auto 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well we will see. I have asked the boy to set aside a day for this. Not that I can't do it but I would rather be in an advisory position so that he learns as I'm seldom in the UK nowadays, well not long enough to do all the small jobs that his Allroad needs!!!
    I'll post up when and if the job goes ahead. Many many thanks for the heads up, we will be taking this advice out with us.

JOn

0 0 0

5. Re: Replacing Outer CV Boot 2002 Allroad AKE Auto 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Just to close this one off. With the pinch bolt and upper arms off, the drive shaft just slips out after removing axle bolt (I moved wheel hub forward and drive shaft to rear). I next attached the 5/8" slide hammer to the outer joint and with two LIGHT taps the joint just slipped off the shaft. Job straight forward after this.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12