1. Question Water collection 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My Passat keeps collecting water in the compartment below the windscreen where the battery sits, I suspect there is a blocked drain anyone know where it is?

I was going to remove the battery and look under there but couldn't get the wiper arms off, rather than suffer knuckle rash getting them off to get battery out to find no drain I thought it wise to ask on here first.

0 0 0

2. Re: Water collection 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did you search this site?

2 1 0

3. Re: Water collection 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    aye, this is possibly the most documented feature of any car, ever made, to be discussed on the internet.
    use the search function, using terms such as 'plenum chamber'.
    all the best..
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

2 1 0

4. Re: Water collection 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No, didn't know what to search for i.e. name of part/area or how search works for that matter. Call it stupidity if you will.

0 0 0

5. Re: Water collection 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Plenum chamber? Will give that a search thanks, had a similar thing with a Mk1 Golf years ago but the drain was easy to find.

0 0 0

6. Re: Water collection 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerband View Post
    No, didn't know what to search for i.e. name of part/area or how search works for that matter. Call it stupidity if you will.
    My signature is a quote by Albert Einstein not an insult!

0 1 0

7. Re: Water collection 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh ok, found on search (eventually) 2 drain holes. 1 under battery and 1 under brake servo complete with grommets which looks to have opened another can of worms regarding fumes.
    siphoned water out today and WD eed wiper arm spindles, will have another look tomorrow.

0 0 0

8. Re: Water collection 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You should be able to remove the battery without removing the wipers etc. In front of the battery is a wiring loom that runs from left to right (yours) and is clipped onto the metal panel that divides the chamber from the engine. The loom does a 90 through a gap into the engine bay. This loom can be unclipped and slid forward. This releases just enough room to slide the battery out sideways ( towards you if you stand at the passenger side of the engine bay) just missing the pollen filter housing. Underneath you will find a gunked up rubber grommet and as you say there is also one under he brake servo. Use a flexible thing to push though and clean the grommets. At this point you can push them right out and never have to worry again or leave them in and fret every year as they collect rubbish and block up. Also clean any rubbish that has collected near the bonnet hinges as this can cause other problems. Hopefully there have been no problems caused by this but you should check under the passenger foot well carpet. It may feel dry on top but undo the clips and check underneath. Hope this helps :-)

2 0 0

9. Re: Water collection 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome to the world of having your own car fish tank . Just be aware your servo may dry out and rust now mine did costing me a new one. But I did apply to vw mk for refund due to recall for problem . Think they would have coughed some money up if id had it done at a vw garage , but had it done privately .

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    Winston Churchill

1 0 0

10. Re: Water collection 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Ude 65, followed your procedure, worked great. I thought I'd siphoned the water out yesterday but there was still a bucket full under the tray. Still got a dash board like Blackpool illuminations but it's MoT time next month so will see what clears and doesn't come back. Thanks again.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast