Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi Guys,

I bought Foxwell NT500 VAG Scanner which as far as I read is one of the best ones out there.
    Scanned my car (VW Passat 2007 2.0L) and found couple of codes.
    Because I'm new with Foxwell device I accidantly deleted all codes before I actually managed to read them all however saw that there were errors within Immobilizer, CAN gateway and Engine.

The one in Engine code was saying something like Mass air flow sensor 00258 (G72) Open or short to ground

What is this?
    How can I fix it?
    I haven't managed to find anything related to this error on the internet, I mean there are errors related to this code but none of the say anything about MAF
    Any hints on this one?

Also, as I am owner of this amazing device I am happy to help people out if they need to scan their car and don't want to pay £50 to a garage to do this.
    I am based in Northampton so if anybody needs it then please let me know via Private Message and we will think something out.

0 0 0

2. Re: Happy owner of Foxwell NT500 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Best thing to do is drive it for a few days and then Re scan it and see are there any codes back in the system, some of the ones you found initially could be historic and are not affecting the car at all.

Mick
    Mick
    99 Bora Tdi

0 0 0

3. Re: Happy owner of Foxwell NT500 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavanmick View Post
    Best thing to do is drive it for a few days and then Re scan it and see are there any codes back in the system, some of the ones you found initially could be historic and are not affecting the car at all.

Mick
    Well, when I start the car it does clunk quite a bit.
    It might be faulty glow plug as every time when I start the car (cold) I get a lot of white smoke (straight away after I start the car so not vapor)
    Might be that one of the cylinders isn't starting up properly therefore gives that very loud and strong clunk...

Will try to scan again in the evening and see how many codes will come back.

Kind Regards,
    Arturs.

0 0 0

4. Re: Happy owner of Foxwell NT500 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you are down a glow plug you will get a fault code for it and it will tell you which cylinder.

Mick
    Mick
    99 Bora Tdi

0 0 0

5. Re: Happy owner of Foxwell NT500 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    If you are down a glow plug you will get a fault code for it and it will tell you which cylinder.

Mick
    Great, thanks for letting me know
    Any other common issues that could somehow cause this massive clunk sound and a lot of smoke first start from cold?

Anything specific I should look for within foxwell?

Also, not quite sure where to find this info, couldn't find anything within foxwell book but do you know how to transfer fault code data and live data recorded onto the device to a computer?

Kind Regards,
    Arturs.

0 0 0

6. Re: Happy owner of Foxwell NT500 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No I'm not sure of the workings of the fox well. I would be looking at the engine mounts if you are getting a big bang on startup, white smoke does sound like glow plugs alright, I presume it doesn't use any water.

Mick
    Mick
    99 Bora Tdi

0 0 0

7. Re: Happy owner of Foxwell NT500 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    No I'm not sure of the workings of the fox well. I would be looking at the engine mounts if you are getting a big bang on startup, white smoke does sound like glow plugs alright, I presume it doesn't use any water.

Mick
    Noup, no water usage at all.

0 0 0

8. Re: Happy owner of Foxwell NT500 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    If it starts ok when hot I'd guess it's definitely a glow plug.

I've just had the same problem on my old Laguna, firing on three on a cold start, clouds of smoke, and a slower idle (the more sophisticated electronics in the Passat might try to compensate for this), but ok starting when hot.

Tested them once I'd got them out, and one was shot, replaced them and all's now ok.
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

9. Re: Happy owner of Foxwell NT500 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quatrelle View Post
    If it starts ok when hot I'd guess it's definitely a glow plug.

I've just had the same problem on my old Laguna, firing on three on a cold start, clouds of smoke, and a slower idle (the more sophisticated electronics in the Passat might try to compensate for this), but ok starting when hot.

Tested them once I'd got them out, and one was shot, replaced them and all's now ok.
    I thought it might be something like that as when I start mine with temp 50C+ it's absolutely fine, no smoke, no nothing...however it's quite hard to check glow plugs on my car
    Will have to take it to the garage and ask them to do it which probably will cost me around 1.5 hours of labor.

Kind Regards,
    Arturs.

0 0 0

10. Re: Happy owner of Foxwell NT500 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I would've thought a glow plug/s fault would've bought up an indication, or a different fault code to the one you describe. Get a VCDS Autoscan. If there's a glow plug fault been reported, it'll show up written as such, when the fault occured, mileage then, and number of occurances. Here's a location map of VCDS users local to you that might do it for beer money. Certainly cheaper than the £50 you've been quoted. Dealer should charge ½ hour max. But there's been reports of a whole hour being charged reduced to zero if you have the work done there
    https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ms...5cfcb6158e0447

If you're going to change glow plugs, change all of them. If a non-dealer garage, get them to use only glows from VW spares dept. as there's a lot of cheeepo Chinese fakes about in official looking boxes.
    Last edited by RichardSEL; 21-12-2014 at 06:06 AM. Reason: fault code
    **SOLD** '06 B6 Passat 2L tFSI SEL 3c5, 232 bhp, Geba metal water pump, GlowShift boost & oil pressure gauges, paddles, powder-coated black Chicago rims yellow calipers, JVC KW NX7000/E sat nav DAB BT Ripspeed sub reverse cam, hi-line MFD, MFSW, Skyline tails, Laminex fogs, LEDs, indicator DRLs, Philips X-tremeVision heads, PowerFlow chrome exhaust, tints to rear, vanity VRM, TPMS, power-fold dimming mirrors, brolly

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast