Notices

User Tag List

Thread: EU/UK consumer law - anybody ever tried?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. EU/UK consumer law - anybody ever tried? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was wondering if anybody ever had success with the EU consumer law, which supposedly is brilliant for the UK, as they mandate a 6 year period, where a product has to meet the expected quality (regardless of the warranty period). I have read something about this in Which magazine once, and then when my iphone had a problem, the guy at the store actually did have an option on his gadget to replace my phone under this EU consumer law (also on their website they have a specific page for explaining this), but of course they managed to wiggle out, as I didn't buy the phone from them, but from O2.. Anyhow, the question is, if a part fails (e.g. my heated mirror - £230 ), that can't be claimed that is my fault (as there was no trauma to my mirror), it means that it was clearly sold as not appropriate quality, doesn't it?
    Of course asking the local audi dealer looked at me as I was from the moon, and Audi UK people on the phone claimed that they don't know ANYTHING about laws, and the legal team can only be contacted by legal bodies...
    So was wondering if anybody tried this route before?
    2009 A6 Avant (C6) SE 2.0 TDI 136HP multitronic

0 0 0

2. Re: EU/UK consumer law - anybody ever tried? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Many moons ago I worked for an advice org. Their position was, recourse to the law is only a good idea if you have a good case. I say this as the system is fraught with dangers for the gung ho.
    Most notably costs against you.
    If you are considering taking something to law my advice would be exhaust all options before, eg dealer complaints, manager, national system, ombudsman then get proper advice, all are good points on your side as you have tried to resolve issue without recourse to the law.
    We were told a judge will take this as you have tried to sort the problem but have been frustrated and if you have a good case will be critical of the other side as they also know you have a case.

I think the 6 year rule came in after I worked there but we were told of the thoughts towards it with a mantelpiece clock scenario, eg a clock should last for years as its only function was to tell time you might have a case if it failed. But consider a device with many moving parts used daily would obviously not last as long, hence warranty by manufacturer.
    I suppose you have to ask, is it worth it and that's the plus for the other side as many will give up before the opposition take it to court.

What's the problem and what have you tried?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 0 0

3. Re: EU/UK consumer law - anybody ever tried? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Many thanks for your quick reply. I guess my car is coming up to 6 years, and I have one of the rear lights getting water inside, and the passenger mirror not heating anymore, both of which I believe just inadequate quality parts... I agree with you, that taking it to court is not an appealing process. What I was hoping more, that companies know about the law, so by pushing the right buttons, you get the benefit of the law... As I have mentioned, in the Apple store, it was in their actual list of solution, but I am certain that the people working there will not welcome every customer telling them that they could get a new phone/fix for free, but if you bring it up, they do obey the law..
    My mirror is the dimming type, which is why it is so expensive to replace...

0 0 0

4. Re: EU/UK consumer law - anybody ever tried? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Water in the rear light seems to be a common problem, you might get that resolved, there is a thread in the A6 section with a write up on that issue.
    I don't know anything about the mirror, but saw a wheeler dealer episode where an m5 bmw had the same issue so again it might be easier to sort out.
    Obviously they will know about the law, but will try everything to fob you off, just look at the hoops people have to go through with the corrosion to bodywork and the 12 year paint warranty thread. They will hope you go away, but may offer goodwill dependant on your service record with the dealer then you have the opening that they recognise the problem might be theirs.
    How much is a mirror glass? I ask as the Wheeler Dealer BMW M5 episode where Ed replaced a mirror and it didn't seem to be that expensive have you checked the electrics, fuse and connections?
    I bought a single pattern part rear light cluster from an online parts retailer for my car only cost £45, could that assist in keeping price down and less hassle negotiating?

1 0 0

5. EU/UK consumer law - anybody ever tried? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just did a quick search online and first non Amazon hit found that A6 rear light cluster is about £90, A6 parts must be more expensive than S4.
    Amazon a bit cheaper at £65 non led type
    Check - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Avant-Estate...009+rear+light

0 0 0

6. Re: EU/UK consumer law - anybody ever tried? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Regarding the heated mirror, it is a heating element which although its in a housing is exposed to the elements. Could you really expect it to be guaranteed not to fail in under 6 years?
    If your kettle fails after 5years and 10 months would you take that back to the shop? Not having a go, but that quote you mention about 6 years is relevant to the product if I remember correctly. Good luck.
    Alan.

A6 Avant (C7) 3.0 TFSI Quattro S-Tronic
    APR St1 Custom Exhaust - now gone
    VW T6 150 DSG Camper £££

0 0 0

7. Re: EU/UK consumer law - anybody ever tried? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabletski View Post
    Just did a quick search online and first non Amazon hit found that A6 rear light cluster is about £90, A6 parts must be more expensive than S4.
    Amazon a bit cheaper at £65 non led type
    Check - Audi A6 Avant Estate Rear Light Unit Driver's Side Rear Lamp Unit 2005-2009: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
    Mine is the LED type, so it is considerably more expensive, especially if it is original... The amount of water inside is more cosmetic at the moment, so wouldn't touch it unless Audi UK paid for it... The mirror however is more annoying...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan02 View Post
    Regarding the heated mirror, it is a heating element which although its in a housing is exposed to the elements. Could you really expect it to be guaranteed not to fail in under 6 years?
    If your kettle fails after 5years and 10 months would you take that back to the shop? Not having a go, but that quote you mention about 6 years is relevant to the product if I remember correctly. Good luck.
    I am not sure where you are going with that - I am only mildly mechanical , but I believe there is a lot of parts of my Audi that is exposed to the elements, and I do expect them to last more than 6 years.. Isn't the heating element technically a wire stuck to the glass, that heats up from time to time? Other than the temperature changes, and water, there is no chance for physical abrasion of the element, so yes, i think it should last more than 6 years... Otherwise it would be a service item, such as the air filter, or brake pads... Mind you, mine brake pads lasted longer than the mirror, even though there is a lot more elements come to play in there
    Now, if the heating element went in my Miele washing machine (which has 10 year warranty), yes I would go back to them... The audi meant to be a premium product after all...

0 0 0

8. Re: EU/UK consumer law - anybody ever tried? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    kia offer a 7 year warranty on their cars.
    yes, audi are a premium brand, with premium prices to go with it. your heating element doesn't work, it could be the element or a wiring fault. either way, either pay to get it fixed or take audi to court. if you take them to court, let us know how you get on. either that or buy a kia.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

1 1 0

9. Re: EU/UK consumer law - anybody ever tried? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)

I am not sure where you are going with that - I am only mildly mechanical , but I believe there is a lot of parts of my Audi that is exposed to the elements, and I do expect them to last more than 6 years.. Isn't the heating element technically a wire stuck to the glass, that heats up from time to time? Other than the temperature changes, and water, there is no chance for physical abrasion of the element, so yes, i think it should last more than 6 years... Otherwise it would be a service item, such as the air filter, or brake pads... Mind you, mine brake pads lasted longer than the mirror, even though there is a lot more elements come to play in there
    Now, if the heating element went in my Miele washing machine (which has 10 year warranty), yes I would go back to them... The audi meant to be a premium product after all...
    [/QUOTE]

Okay, so if you can afford an miele washer , a mirror glass is a drop in the ocean in comparison. You could put your washer outside and see if it lasts the 10 years, its wrapped in a metal coat after all.
    Alan.

A6 Avant (C7) 3.0 TFSI Quattro S-Tronic
    APR St1 Custom Exhaust - now gone
    VW T6 150 DSG Camper £££

1 1 0

10. Re: EU/UK consumer law - anybody ever tried? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The wheels are still going round, the ****ing mirror should still work.
    I am doubtful if in today's throw away culture if anything should still work after six years. Manufacturers should stand behind their product. If six is the law then everything should work that long. Good luck to everyone with issues.
    Merry Christmas.

0 1 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast