1. What do i do? Unknown state of engine Tfsi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So where do i begin. I have brought a audi a4 2.0t sline off a friend of mine.
    previously he was driving along the oil light came on, so he pulled in check the oil level and seemed fine and stupidly continued to drive with the warning on the dash. The engine aparently sounded like a diesel engine so he got it recovered to a local garaged who removed the sump and oil pump and quoted him £2500 for a new oil pump fitted and hope for the best :/ he didnt have the money and decided to claim on the warrenty which wasnt possible due to he missed a oil service. He wanted to get rid of the car.

so i come along and buy the car off him for £1000, so i have brought a car with the sump removed and the oil pump and balance shafts in the boot along with big end bearings which are in good condition.
    Im planning on removing the engine and rebuilding it. But i need to know if im ok to refit thw old pump. Because it really is in good condition, im guessing the pickup pipe was blocked? But its unknown to me as i didnt remove the sump ect. So maybe the garage was pulling a fast one?
    is there anything that can go faulty on the pump causing low oil pressure apart from clogged pick up pipe? I have heard about the broken chains/sprockets but my pump is all in one piece

So my question really is do i reuse the pump, buy a new one, or fit a conversion kit?

Thanks
    craig

0 0 0

2. Re: What do i do? Unknown state of engine Tfsi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    are you talking about a petrol engine here, it does sound like you are. do you know the engine code.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

3. Re: What do i do? Unknown state of engine Tfsi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    I did the exact same thing with my Octavia when I bought it at three years old with a rattled to death engine, I paid a grand for it and fitted a new VAG genuine engine and turbo. Yours will have suffered the usual petrol turbo blocked sump pick-up and every part of the engine will be damaged. There is no way I would repair that engine, it will cost way more to rebuild than a new unit from Audi and cutting corners will be a disaster. If you can tell us the cars year and engine type code we can be a little more specific.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 2 0

4. Re: What do i do? Unknown state of engine Tfsi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its a 2006 2.0t fitted with a BUL petrol engine.

0 0 0

5. Re: What do i do? Unknown state of engine Tfsi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    When I did my engine it cost me about £1500 excluding VAT trade, I have looked into the cost of an engine for yours and it is £6814.72 inc. VAT and there is no UK stock, at that price it is not an option. It will have to be stripped down bare, inspected, re-machined where possible/required or new parts fitted and then rebuilt or you will have to find a used engine but they are like rocking horse poo. The BUL is only used in the 2005 to 15/05/2008 A4 and is not the same as anything else. Audi do not offer a bottom end on its own. An exchange head is nearly £2000 but considering how much you get with it being fully built up, that is extremely good value so a refresh of the bottom end and an exchange head would be my path but that £1200 balancer assembly hurts.....

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

6. Re: What do i do? Unknown state of engine Tfsi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I will be carrying out the rebuild myself, So bearing, rings, belts, chains, valve and lifters ect will all be replaced regardless of condition. My only concern is fitted the orginal oil pump and balance shaft assembly. Surely it was only a clogged pick up pipe causing low oil pressure than something else wrong with it? do they fail for any other reason than this?

0 0 0

7. Re: What do i do? Unknown state of engine Tfsi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    This is worrying, I have an 05 TFSI - are there any preventative measures that can be taken to avoid this? What mileage was your car on? I was under the impression (probably incorrectly) that the engines in these we're the same as a GTI?

0 0 0

8. Re: What do i do? Unknown state of engine Tfsi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Mike, yes they are almost the same as Golf 5 GTI's with type 06F EA113 series engines, such as the typical AXX.

ALL VAG 1.8 and 2.0T engines seem to be extremely prone to oil sludge formation in the sump and those with the engine mounted longitudinally are more prone than those with a transverse installation and the only reason I can think of is air flow over the sump. The way to protect your engine and guard against this and many other modern VAG engines maladies is to change the oil at sensible intervals, not those chosen by the marketing blokes to make selling the car easier. ANYONE who supports 20K mile oil changes is either an idiot or has a hidden agenda.

Slava Ukraini
    !

3 2 0