1. Scraping sound from front wheel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Going over speed bumps the front right corner makes a sort of scraping / grinding sound. I've checked the wheel arch and there's no obstruction - just started doing it yesterday.

I'll take it into the dealer but if anyone else has had the same thing it would be useful to know if I should expedite my visit.
    Audi A6 (C7) 3.0 TDI S Line Quattro 245 Daytona Grey Sep 2013 -
    Audi A4 (B8) 2.0 TDI SE 143 Lava Grey 2008 - 2013

0 0 0

2. Re: Scraping sound from front wheel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    With the cold weather it might be a dodgy shock… bounce test? Could also be a bush though.

0 0 0

3. Re: Scraping sound from front wheel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Spookily my car is going in on Tuesday for something similar (maybe).I had the AA out on Friday as I’ve noticed that I’ve started getting a squeak/clunk/scraping (hard to describe) from the front driver’s wheel.It only happens on my car just before coming to a halt.I’ve passed the bounce test, and the AA guy couldn’t find anything up on the jack.I’ll let you know what I find on Tuesday.My guess on my car is a dry bush, but we will see.Thanks for the post.

0 0 0

4. Re: Scraping sound from front wheel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I wasn't looking far enough back (it was dark yesterday). The undertray has come a little loose on the driver's side directly under the driver's seat.

There's a bit more to this story but I will report back once I have the facts!
    Audi A6 (C7) 3.0 TDI S Line Quattro 245 Daytona Grey Sep 2013 -
    Audi A4 (B8) 2.0 TDI SE 143 Lava Grey 2008 - 2013

0 0 0

5. Re: Scraping sound from front wheel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    I would love to hear what this can be as my 2014 BiTdi have started to do exactly the same scraping/gring noise from front right just before coming to standstill but haven't seen anything our of order when looking around the area. Bounce test ok (adaptive suspension).
    2017 Audi S6 Avant
    2016 Volvo XC60 T5 R-Design (wife's)
    1987 Volvo 780 Bertone (my classic!)

0 0 0

6. Re: Scraping sound from front wheel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm happy to say that in my instance it was as simple as the pad return spring needing a bit of grease.

I suspect the multitude of cleaning chemicals I use and the fact the calliper is so exposed by the 20's, is the reason the grease was lost. I was told if it reoccurs they will order new springs though.....

I feared the front would be coming off to access some random bush.

1 0 0

7. Re: Scraping sound from front wheel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Rang Audi who promtly told me to take the car in. Unfortunately they found nothing and did a general clean and greasing. However, I can still hear a bit of the sound, albeit less than before. I think it may actually be the suspension, but as previously said, it only happens just before coming to a stop. It also does not seem to happen to begin with when engine is cold/not used for some time.

Perhaps other ideas or just simply wait and see if it gets worse?
    2017 Audi S6 Avant

0 0 0

8. Re: Scraping sound from front wheel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Sounds is still very present so decided to take the car back to my dealer. One of the chief technicians came along for the ride and notice the sound straight away. Took car up on ramp and nothing that can be seen.... booked in again for Monday next week.

This is what happens:

1. Start car. Engage D.
    2. Drive off, a "Clank/Clonk" can be heard. A metallic sound. Just once directly after setting off.
    3. Stop. Engage R.
    4. Reverse. A "Clank-Clonk" can be heard. Again, a metallic sound and again, just once.

One can repeat the above 10 time and it will create this sound everytime and always, just the once. Tech said that this is not right.

Any idea of what this can be?

My car is an April 2014 car with only 20K on the clock.
    2017 Audi S6 Avant

0 0 0

9. Re: Scraping sound from front wheel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    UPDATE

Audi have now had my car for 2 full days and have informed me the following:

1. Audi HQ knows about this issue on some cars.
    2. Audi have tested on various test vehicles that developed the same issue and have exchanged various suspension/steering parts but the "clonk" comes back. They don't know why the cars are doing this.
    3. They have assured that this is not having any impact on safety or drivability of their cars.
    4. They are hoping to have a solution to this problem and will automatically let owners (me) know by Q1 2015.

I'll for one will be very happy to be back in my A6 as its the best car I've so far had and A LOT better than that A1 Tdi (90 bhp) I am driving now.....
    2017 Audi S6 Avant

1 0 0