1. Door closed. Door handles don't work 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1998 A6. Drivers door is closed, and the lock is broken so the door handles wont open the door. It unlocks fine, but impossible to open.

How can I open the door now? I cant replace the lock without opening the door.

(Never buy cheap new door locks from chinese ebay-sellers)
    2012 VW Passat Variant 4motion
    Engine: 2.0 TDI (170 hp)
    Gearbox: DSG

0 1 0

2. Re: Door closed. Door handles don't work 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    you will have to remove the door card from inside, with the door closed. this will not be easy and you will probably damage it. then see if you can undo the lock to open the door.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

3. Re: Door closed. Door handles don't work 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have just had the same issue on my partners Passat, good thing was that I could open the door from the inside .

The outside handle had come away -
    God knows how - and all I had to do was somehow get it all back in .
    I tested it all out of the car and was happy it would all work .

Attachment 26193

Unfortunately for you , you have the issue of the door not opening .
    Probably the door panel will get damaged without a doubt.
    Good luck is all I can offer.

0 0 0

4. Re: Door closed. Door handles don't work 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had exactly the same problem a few years back and got it open & sorted without resorting to buggering up the door card. With the back door open, you can just see the striker plate (looks like a chrome plated 'U' shaped bracket) for the front door that is screwed to the 'B' pillar, it's what the front door lock latches onto. There is just enough room to get a hacksaw blade (just the blade, not the frame) at an angle into the gap and literally cut through the 'U' bracket. It took me about 3-1/2 hours to do it because you can only get a short stroke on the blade but it worked, and was a massive relief when the door opened (it was my drivers door). Wrap some tape around the 'handle' end of the hacksaw blade and run a few thicknesses of tape around the edge of the front door to avoid scratching it. Even if you can get the door card off with the door closed, I'm not convinced you'd be in any better position to get the door open anyway.
    2003 3.0 quattro Avant

1 1 0