Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zollaf View Post
    nice, very very nice indeed.
    Thanks! It will be. (Always assuming her indoors doesn't find out!)

0 0 0

2. Re: Collect car from Denmark 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There must be desperate people about...how much it cost you in the end if the ferry was 600+ return ?

0 0 0

3. Re: Collect car from Denmark 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    its not long ago that xj6's were cheap, very cheap, they really have shot up, especially if they are rare. wish i had my old mans one he had in about 86' , a series 2 swb manual with 4 doors. even rarer than a coupe. so rare i have never seen another one, and in brg as well. . worth a few bob now, unfortuantely went to *** heaven.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

4. Re: Collect car from Denmark 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adamss24 View Post
    There must be desperate people about...how much it cost you in the end if the ferry was 600+ return ?
    Only found out about the transporter length difference by the time I'd found a driver, and arranged some collection details. And after having been let down by an unknown tranporter that needed an outward bound leg to make his trip out and return worthwhile.
    There's a few UK/Continentals that will do it ranging from £876 to £1,300-ish but they don't tell you that before accepting your quote (and the agency site taking your deposit). I've had quotes up to £2,600 but they're swish continental recovery type of firms that'll recover your Maserati Quatroporte securely, offer lock-ups, etc. meantime. My costs included a Best Western hotel room in Denmark for the driver.

In case anyone in need does a Gargle search for transporter companys: here are the agency URLs
    Couriers | Delivery Services | Cheap Courier Auction Site UK

Courier Services | UK Delivery Service Companies - Shiply
    Last edited by RichardSEL; 02-11-2014 at 09:02 AM.

0 0 0

5. Re: Collect car from Denmark 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardSEL View Post
    Seems all my life I've been surrounded by ne'er sayers trilling: "you can't do this", or "you can't do that". But I have
    No-one said you couldn't do it. Just that you couldn't get someone to do it for your original budget with a spare £250 to go in the back pocket.

But congrats anyway. It looks like a fun way to while away a few winter evening hours.
    Driving - Shiny new E350 Estate.. Just Arrived - Aggh! a C-Max. What have I done?
    Just Gone - 2008 Passat 2.0CR TDi DSG Estate + toys, 2007 Golf GTI

Once, cars were simple and I was smart. Now things are the other way around.

1 0 0

6. Re: Collect car from Denmark 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Was working on the original budget where ferry was for a car ticket at £202 return. That service stopped 29th September. The other way was via Immingham - Esbjerg which gave far less miles to drive. Anyways, as you say, it's here now.
    Just starting to examine all the boxes of spares that came with and find out what I've got and what's needed to get to and thru MOT

The "A" pillars have gone (down either side by windscreen), cills and inner cills rotted as well as all four door cills and bottom boot edge (to be expected). But the "C" pillars have been done previously (at the rear doors' shut). Chassis is fine according to restoration company. Body will be taken back to bare metal as pitted.
    Will have to have a bespoke exhaust as there's nowhere nowadays where you can get a Mk IX off the shelf. Besides which with the 4.2L lump in it would need different muffler boxes...

Lucas!
    Last edited by RichardSEL; 02-11-2014 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Lucas

0 0 0

7. Re: Collect car from Denmark 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Back in the late 1950s (yes, I'm that old) when I lived in south London, a friend used to pick me up for nightwork every evening in his Mk IV Jaguar 2.5L saloon. It was a bit of a wreck, but to me, with an Austin A35 van as personal transport, it was luxury indeed.

One evening when I was waiting for him, he stopped, leaned across and opened the passenger door for me to get in, saying 'Quick, get in, it's firing on all six!' Happy days.

I believe the MK IV was the successor to the pre-war SS models. Little did we know then what we know now regarding their value.
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

8. Re: Collect car from Denmark 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    50s? Yikes, I was still at school! After my last term at college I got paid my grant cheque twice. So, having passed all previously, skipped with the cheque. No one checked (geddit?) from the local council. Anyways there was this 1949 Armstrong Siddely Lancaster for sale at a dealers at the end of my road. Sixty quid it was then (1964) Drove that around for two years, the last six months on handbrake only around Cambridge. Makes you think ahead! Sold it for ten bob to a scrapper.

On the odd occasion I do a search for classics have seen a few Star Sapphires, and a Hurricane. But no Lancasters. Value today?

1 0 0

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123