1. Re: Blower motor not running on 2001 1.9 TDi SE PD with Climatronic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Hi Andy. First off from the info you just posted I need to apologize to caldirun because if your motor only has two wires, it doesn't have the speed controller built in.

Your tests confirm that the fault lies on the earth side of the circuit.

I done a quick google search and found the photo below. The red box next to the blower motor is the speed controller. Do you see anything like that on your car?
    From the photo you can see it has 3 wires. The green to the left will be the control wire that comes from the climatronic ECU. The center wire looks like it goes to the blower motor (brown/yellow on your car) and the wire to the right will be an earth (probably goes to the eyelet at bottom right in the photo).

If you find that on your car then you'd want to do another voltage test. Same drill as before (everything connected, ign on, full speed) and connect your volt meter black lead to the brown on the controller and the red to the brown/yellow. If you get 12V the speed controller is open circuit. I'd also check for a control voltage from the climatronic ECU - black lead to the brown and red to the green on the controller. You should have a low voltage that changes as you adjust the blower speed on the control panel.

As a final confirmation you could join the brown and brown/yellow wires on the controller together with a short length of wire and the the blower should operate at full speed.
    Don't operate it too long though because it draws a fair amount of current at full speed and your length of wire might get a bit hot.

Jim.

1 0 0

2. Re: Blower motor not running on 2001 1.9 TDi SE PD with Climatronic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Jim,

This is a close up of what I can see and it sort of looks right except reversed (I'm guessing you picture is your picture is from a LHD car)

IMG_0326[1].jpg

Just going to see if I can do the tests by inspection lamp, lol.

Cheers
    Andy

0 0 0

3. Re: Blower motor not running on 2001 1.9 TDi SE PD with Climatronic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Jim,

You sir, are correct on all counts

Voltage between brown and brown/yellow = 11.8v
    Voltage between brown and green at full blower power = 8.54v
    Voltage between brown and green at OFF = 3.33v

Connected brown and brown/yellow - motor spun (and made me jump like hell I might add, lol)

What next please?

Cheers
    Andy

0 0 0

4. Re: Blower motor not running on 2001 1.9 TDi SE PD with Climatronic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Well that pretty much confirms what I said earlier, that the speed controller is faulty. The good news is yours is external to the blower motor so should be a good bit cheaper to replace.

I think this is what you need to buy : VW BORA GOLF LUPO POLO VENTO PASSAT B4 B5 HEATER MOTOR BLOWER RESISTOR 1J0907521 | eBay
    You'd be best to confirm with the vendor that it's the correct one for your car though. It looks like the one in your photo above from what I can see of it.

Jim.

1 0 0

5. Re: Blower motor not running on 2001 1.9 TDi SE PD with Climatronic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks a lot Jim :-D

I've spotted one with the same part number but it only lists it as being compatible with a Bora, it's a pound more expensive but the attractive part is that I could pick it up from a local Argos on Thursday.

I'll get in touch with the vendor and see what they say, otherwise the one from Poland it is :-)

I'll keep you informed on here until it's resolved in any case.

Cheers
    Andy

0 0 0

6. Re: Blower motor not running on 2001 1.9 TDi SE PD with Climatronic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    I didn't even notice that seller was based in Poland.
    Is this a new thing being able to collect items from Argos? Does that save postage/packing costs or what?

Anyway, please do report back if that fixes it. I'm pretty sure it will.

Jim.

0 0 0

7. Re: Blower motor not running on 2001 1.9 TDi SE PD with Climatronic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It looks like it's a new thing? Take a look here Heater Blower Motor Resistor Vw Bora Golf 3 4 Lupo Beetle Passat Polo Sharan | eBay doesn't list a Passat on the compatible vehicles but if you go further down it DOES list it.

Sent a message and waiting for a reply from the vendor

Andy

0 0 0

8. Re: Blower motor not running on 2001 1.9 TDi SE PD with Climatronic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys,

Well the replacement part arrived yesterday but as it was dark outside when I got home, I left it till today. Removed the old one (it's a pozi-drive screw) and put the new one in place. Tried to start the engine and...CLICK...flat battery...aarrrrggghhh!!! LOL. I'm guessing it's from all the start/top it's done over the last week and the fact it hasn't had a run (got a sneaky suspiscion I may have not *quite* put the interior light switch to the off position too) - if it turns out to be something more sinister I'll be back :-P

Anyway, gave it a good two or three hours charge and....SUCCESS!!! The fan ran, although I could hear it catching and rubbing so I took out the pollen filter and got a long bar to give it a push back as I've read elsewhere on these forums. Tried it with my hand and seemed to be running freely enough so tried again, running sweet as a nut

Just changed my insurance over so going out for a drive now!!!

Thanks for all your help

Cheers
    Andy
    Last edited by mephistophles; 25-10-2014 at 03:14 PM. Reason: spelling!

1 0 0

9. Re: Blower motor not running on 2001 1.9 TDi SE PD with Climatronic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mephistophles View Post
    SUCCESS!!! The fan ran
    I'm glad you got it sorted, Andy.

Now, when the next person comes on here with that fault, I'm gonna sit back with my feet up and you can tell them how to diagnose it

Jim.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12