1. 1.6 ayd smoking 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys new to the site and after some advice.

bought a non runner beetle been sitting for 2 years and was only firing on 3, no.3 cylinder failed compression and a leak through identified the intake valve to be faulty. During the leak through test the battery went flat and the car was push started (gave my jump leads to a friend lol) when everything was back together of course, anyway when it fired plumes of smoke came out of the exhaust, I wasn't overly fussed at the time as the engine had to be stripped.

On to the next part, head off no. 3 valve replaced as old one slightly out of shape, new valve seals, new head gasket , new bolts, new gasket set, new vw coolant, new water pump, new timing belt, new crankcase breather (old one was split) new intake pipe after maf as breather pipe split, new air filter, new oil, new oil filter. Leak through showed no leaks on any cylinder, job done so I thought, it's still chucking out smoke and a watery substance that smells like fuel, it has no oily residue, I'm not loosing coolant and the oil is clean, I am now stumped it hardly smokes at idle, I get more smoke on over run, it is white by the way and not steam as it lingers and under heavy load it turns black.

could this be down to old fuel, I have got a new fuel filter but haven't fitted it yet as it has old fuel in the car, should I change it and drain the tank ? I've checked injectors they are all pulsing evenly (listened through a screwdriver)

the car idles lovely but bogs a little when accelerating.

any ideas would be gratefully received, thanks for taking the time to read this post

*edit* forgot to add eml shows p0407 egr, I've removed and cleaned but still faulty

0 0 0

2. Re: 1.6 ayd smoking 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    If your not loosing coolant, have you checked your brake fluid? During over run you have a high vacuum in the inlet manifold. If the master cyl is leaking brake fluid into the servo the high vacuum during over run can draw it into the cylinders via the servo vac hose. And burning brake fluid gives off white smoke. The brake pedal would probably feel hard too though...just a thought.

Jim.

1 0 0

3. Re: 1.6 ayd smoking 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I should have added it had a seized calliper, so had to overhaul it, new seal an boot, as it had been siting so long I replaced discs and pads all round and did full bleed, during pressure bleed the pipe in the eezibleed bottle came off and forced air into system, bleed system completely inc master cyl but I think calliper is knackered as its weeping and leaving a trail behind car, it could well be the master cylinder but how would I check ?

just a thought if I connected the eezibleed to the brake reservoir and ran the car if it was leaking would it force the fluid out, increasing the smoke ?

0 0 0

4. Re: 1.6 ayd smoking 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Yeah, that would be worth a try, but I'd pull the vac hose off the servo first and see if it's wet with fluid first.

0 0 0

5. Re: 1.6 ayd smoking 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok scratch that there is oil in the coolant , I guess I was stupid to think the head would not be out of shape if the inlet valve was, never even checked it lol

0 0 0